CD 30 Dimensions for Transport

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

easug1

CD 30 Dimensions for Transport

Post by easug1 »

Does anyone on the board have the number handy for the height on a CD30 from the bottom of the keel to the highest point on the boat when the mast is unstepped? I'm trying to figure out whether I can have the boat trucked to my driveway for storage and work.
johnny of STORK
Taos, NM
San Carlos, Sonora, MX

Post by johnny of STORK »

It would depend on the type of trailer you have in mind hauling it on, but my CD 30 on her trailer (keel rest about 15" above ground) stands a little over 12' off the ground at the highest point. This is legal everywhere. She is *very* slightly overwidth, but it is not noticeable, and I have hauled her over 10,000 miles, and never been checked.

Johnny
mahalocd36

Re: CD 30 Dimensions for Transport

Post by mahalocd36 »

easug1 wrote:Does anyone on the board have the number handy for the height on a CD30 from the bottom of the keel to the highest point on the boat when the mast is unstepped? I'm trying to figure out whether I can have the boat trucked to my driveway for storage and work.
We have our CD36 hauled home and it's never been a height problem. Sorry I don't have the exact height for you but I'm sure the CD30 is not taller.
Melissa Abato
www.sailmahalo.com
S/V Necessity
Columbia, MO

Post by S/V Necessity »

As an owner of a CD28 on a trailer I can say that that my response would be exactly the same as Johnny of STORK's, except that mine is even slightly less overwidth ;)
easug1

Post by easug1 »

Thanks for the information. I'm not concerned with overhead clearance on primary roads, but the secondary road to my house has some low phone and fiber optic lines that corss over in several spots, as well as some low-hanging trees that have me concerned.

One other concern is that there is no way to get a crane into my yard to offload the boat. Is there such a thing as a self-loading/unloading trailer rig for commercial haulers to use? Als, does anyone have any recommendations for (or warnings against) boat transporters in the Baltimore/Annapolis area?
bottomscraper

Crane not required!

Post by bottomscraper »

No crane is required if you find someone with the right trailer. Here are some pictures of Mahalo being delivered to our old house in NH. The same trailer is used to haul the boat directly in and out of the water on a ramp. We have our boat hauled home this way every winter.

http://www.sailmahalo.com/local_html/movehome.html

http://www.sailmahalo.com/picture_colle ... aunch2005/
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
easug1

Post by easug1 »

That is absolutely ingenious. Now I just need to find a local hauler (central Maryland) with one of those. It probably doesn't make sense to pay a MA trucking company to send a tractor, trailer, and driver to and from Maryland to move a boat five or six miles locally.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I had planned to haul Raven this winter but now bringing her home seems like a great idea. It would save me 50 MIN of travel each way all that loading and forgetting stuff. Plus I might not get side tracked quite as much. Having your entire shop a few steps away would greatly facilitate progress.

I checked with Brownell and their price to haul my boat home is not much higher than the yard pulling it and storing it there. I might search around a bit to see if another yard will pull my mast for less than my home yard.

I want a set of those steps with the deck but my Dad has passed away so I will have to build something myself. I think a set of bar staging with steps might be a great idea. Being able to get in and out of the boat without climbing a ladder would be a great asset.

I might finally get that bright work done. Hey, it was the five year plan so I a pretty much right on schedule, Steve.
chase

cool rig

Post by chase »

I want one...

c
hilbert

Hauler

Post by hilbert »

Did you find a hauler in central Maryland to do the transport? I am also considering bring my CD28 home for renovations.