Cd 22D New to me

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

blackwatch

Cd 22D New to me

Post by blackwatch »

Hello Cape Dorians. While trying to sell CD 27 hull #1 (restoration project that proved to be too big for me) I stumbled upon a 1984 22D that needed a new owner. She is a very sweet little boat and in very good condition. I have a few questions that I hope someone can help me with.

I need to do some minor gel coat repairs to the fore deck. Does anyone know the proper color gel coat and where to find it?

This boat currently has no fuel shut-off valve. I am wondering if other 22Ds have fuel shut-offs or if owners have added them...how and where?

I am looking for a few items to improve this boat:

a trailer or a set of stands appropriately sized for this boat.
a dodger, new or used
a replacement main sail, new or used. Current one is pretty blown out, has no reef points, and no CD insignia.
a replacement tiller...the original one creaks under pressure.

I would greatly appreciate any responses to my questions and would love to hear from anyone wishing to talk about CD 22s. I hope you all are having better sailing weather than we are here in Provincetown. And, Yes, CD 27 hull number one is still available at a bargain basement price.......

Scott
Jim Buck

fuel shut off valves

Post by Jim Buck »

I removed the "black beauty" fuel filter and replaced it with a Racor 500MA. The PO had one shut off after the filter and I am installing one before and after the new filter. I bought a vacuum gauge for the Racor but found that I don't have the room to install it. I'm going with just the "T" handle now.

Sail wise, if you want a new sail, I had good luck with JSI in Florida. Very responsive and reasonable.

Best of luck to you with your 22!

Jim
Jim Buck
Member #1004
Jack Laudermilk
Location: Cape Dory Typhoon Senior, Gracie, Duxbury, Massachusetts

Post by Jack Laudermilk »

You can get custom gel coat from Gel-Coat products 958 North 127th, Seattle, Was 98133: 206-781-1162. Tell them Cape Dory and the year and they will mix it. I have had good luck with it.
Jack Carr

CD 22

Post by Jack Carr »

I have a CD 22D 1986 and love it. You mentioned the sail has no reef points. My boat has a rolling main boom that you roll the main sail around to reduce size. If the '84 has the same boom, you will need to pull the boom toward the stern and begin to roll evenly. At the same time, of course, you need to be using the main halyard to lower the sail (hence a second set of hands is helpful, especially at sea). After you have reduced sail to your liking release the boom to its original position. I perfer reef points to reduce sail.
Jack