Propane Consumption and Other Joys

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

gvanbell

Propane Consumption and Other Joys

Post by gvanbell »

Hi everyone! I hope the rest of you are out sailing, but if not, here are some of my current dilemmas for you to consider...

I haven't posted anything in a while, but we are actually getting to work on our CD27 this week (starting with the new galley, electrical, and propane systems)!

http://capedory27.blogspot.com/

Question 1: I can't seem to find a product that will allow me to run two appliances (the stove and the fireplace) off one tank. Certainly there is a T or Y adapter out there. Anyone?

Question 2: I have to decide which propane tank to install, and am down to two choices: a one gallon tank (in an enclosed locker, of course) or the 2.5 gallon version. I'm mostly concerned with fuel consumption, but weight and space are also an issue. I am going to build the locker into the aft lazarette. Under typical cruising conditions we would be using the fireplace a few hours at night and would cook one or two simple meals in the galley. Anyone have any anecdotal input on how long a tank this size lasts?

Question 3: In thinking back to our last boat, I can't really remember using more than one burner on the stove very often. So we're thinking about going down to a single-burner stove. What do you all think? We cook most of our dinners on the BBQ anyway and mostly use the stove to boil water for coffee or to make pasta and rice.

Question 4: The single-burner stove we are looking at isn't gimbaled. I know on a passage this could be an issue, but I just don't think the added cost and complexity is worth it. Anyone?

Question 5: We just got back from Kenya, where I had the pleasure of watching the locals sail their elegant wooden dhows on the Indian Ocean. Can you imagine sailing across the ocean in one of these things? http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_V2hBh8gOVHo/S ... CN1236.JPG

Thanks in advance for your input everyone...

-g
Boyd

Propane questions.

Post by Boyd »

Since no one else has stepped in so, I will share what little I have learned.

I have a 10# horizontal tank which I filled about 6 years ago and haven't succeeded in using it all up yet. Admittedly I use the microwave a lot and have no BBQ. Our cooking is usually quite limited anyway. We typically will make a pizza in the oven and breakfast in the morning. From the SSCA site cruisers report an average of 2# per week with heavy usage however, some get as much as 3 months with 20#.

Don't have a clue how much propane a fire place would use. Didn't even know they made a boat fireplace, but then, I live in Florida.

I have a two burner stove and ocassionally we use both burners for cooking, eg. one for the rice and one for the sauce. Although most meals are single pot affairs. Having more than two pans on the boat seems a waste of space. The oven does get used especially during the cooler months. Muffins are nice in the morning.

You should not cut the propane line and put in a T or Y fitting. If you must, make a tee inside the propane locker at the solenoid valve using all brass fittings and run separate lines to each of the appliances. No splices are allowed in a propane line. Install the lines another hose larger hose to protect the propane line from accidental damage or chafe.

I cant imagine cooking with the boat heeled over without a gimbaled stove. You can probably rig up a gimbal mount. Mine is not all that complex.

Boyd
s/v Tern
CD30 MkII
Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
Ron Churgin

Post by Ron Churgin »

A Sea Swing stove is a single burner fully gimballed "stove" that works wonderfully, even underway. I don't know if that brand is still made, try eBay. Here is a link to a very similar one:
http://www.downwindmarine.com/Stove-Min ... 07316.html
Ron Churgin
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Sea Swing no longer made

Post by Joe Myerson »

Ron:

I believe there was a note in a recent edition of Practical Sailor indicating that the beloved Sea Swing is no longer in production.

It might be worth ordering units from Downwind Marine or other outlets before the existing supply disappears. (I have a similar, also out-of-production unit that uses backpacker's butane cannisters.)

Neither stove meets current safety standards, but if you're on a passage and need some hot soup or coffee, these little units can prove a godsend.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
gvanbell

Force 10

Post by gvanbell »

We have a Force10 single burner gimbaled stove that runs on the 1# propane bottles. We plan to carry it as a backup for rough conditions and use the mounted stove for most of our cooking...
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Sea Swing no longer made

Post by Neil Gordon »

Joe Myerson wrote:I believe there was a note in a recent edition of Practical Sailor indicating that the beloved Sea Swing is no longer in production.
They don't have an automatic fuel shut off. If the flame blows out, the fuel spews into the bilge and then explodes. That said, I have one and use it often for coffee, soup, chili, pasta, steamed clams, etc. I never leave it unattended.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698