CD25 Sea Hood and Slider

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

sfreihofer

CD25 Sea Hood and Slider

Post by sfreihofer »

HELP!

Progress on the restoration of me CD25 is going well, and I have been working on the exterior teak. I have run into a problem.

The old teak woodwork for the sea hood and slider is in very poor condition. Therefore, I cannot accurately determine what the original dimensions were, because of past sanding and/or environmental degradation.

My question to the group is this: Does the wood vary in height? The pieces I have seem to be thicker under the sea hood, and thinner aft of the sea hood. Is this the case?

If anyone can offer advice, suggestions, or preferably dimensions, it would be very helpful before I start cutting teak stock. I don't need to tell you how expensive a mistake in teak could be... It's over $28 per board foot, depending on dimensions. The wood for the drop boards alone cost me $180.

So far in this restoration, I have spent $2000 on teak, and $700 on marine plywood. I'd rather not have to buy more...

For those interested, I will be posting a cost accounting for the reconstruction on the website in the future...

Thanks to any and all....

Stan Freihofer
1981 CD25 #794
Ft. Lauderdale
www.ReefRoof.com
Instant Bubble-head. Just add water.
gpb102030

teak

Post by gpb102030 »

use the dimension under the seahood the ones on the out side have just been sanded away and eroded by mother nature. I replaced mine with ipe. I also drilled out the existing holes to 1/2 inch and filled with thickened epoxy. drilled a pilot hole and now the screws have a good bite. I hope you have a good fan nothing like Fla. in july. Greg
gpb102030
sfreihofer

Re: teak

Post by sfreihofer »

Thanks Greg... that's exactly what I needed to know. Good idea to drill out the holes and fill with epoxy. I did that.

You got it right... work is impossible without a fan....

I appreciate your response...

Stan
gpb102030 wrote:use the dimension under the seahood the ones on the out side have just been sanded away and eroded by mother nature. I replaced mine with ipe. I also drilled out the existing holes to 1/2 inch and filled with thickened epoxy. drilled a pilot hole and now the screws have a good bite. I hope you have a good fan nothing like Fla. in july. Greg
Instant Bubble-head. Just add water.