July 25th Salem Sound Float In

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

jbenagh
Salem, MA

July 25th Salem Sound Float In

Post by jbenagh »

Please join us for a Float-In at Misery Island in Salem Sound. We will meet in the afternoon, beginning at 2pm for swimming, gamming or exploring the island. In the evening we’ll gather on one or more boats or ashore on the beach for a pot-luck dinner. Come prepared with something to share.

This will be a casual gathering of Cape Dorys and friends in a convenient spot to Salem, Marblehead, Manchester, Beverly and even Boston. Anchor between Great Misery Island and Little Misery Island. You may want to tour the racing boats in Marblehead (about 3nm SSW), tour the historical sights of Salem (about 4nm W) or see the Marblehead or Beverly harbors. The Misery Islands are owned for the public to enjoy by the Trustees of the Reservations and feature a genuine shipwreak. For trail maps see http://www.thetrustees.org/pages/323_misery_islands.cfm.

Fleet communications will be on VHF Ch. 16 and 68.
Please monitor these channels during the event.
Hail the “Cape Dory Fleetâ€
Roy J.
Location: The fleet: Auburn CD-25, CD-28 #255 as yet unnamed Marblehead MA

So sorry I can't be there

Post by Roy J. »

Jeff,

Thanks for organizing. I will be out of town. Hope to see everyone next time.

Roy
Roy Jacobowitz
Bob Condon

Will not be there this year either

Post by Bob Condon »

We are in the process of selling REALLY MUGGY which we keep moored in Salem Harbor near the floating Rockmore restaurant.

I have a CD28 Intrepid and will be selling the mooring also with her if anyone is interested.

Salem is a wonderful harbor and will miss her dearly.

My family is growing up and no longer have the time to sail so
we bought a cabin on a lake in Maine and are downsizing. The 5 foot draft on CD28I does not work!

I will post the specs tonight if anyone may be interested...

Bob Condon
Bob Condon
John Ring

Tantalus will join in

Post by John Ring »

Sounds like fun -CD28 Tantalus will be there!

Cheers,
John Ring
Last edited by John Ring on Jul 18th, '09, 16:37, edited 1 time in total.
Sailing involves the courage to cherish adventure and the wisdom to fear danger. Knowing where one ends, and the other begins, makes all the difference.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

On my calendar

Post by Neil Gordon »

Weather permitting and if all else goes according to plan, LIQUIDITY will be there.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Great!

Post by jbenagh »

Glad to hear you can make it. It will be nice to meet you at closer than hailing distance ;)

Jeff
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Southwest Cove

Post by Neil Gordon »

>>Misery Island, southwest cove <<

Let's see what the wind does on Saturday and what it's expected to do overnight.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Al Levesque

Regrets

Post by Al Levesque »

Sorry we won't be able to make it either. I should also warn that the Trustees usually charge a small fee to non-members for going on Misery. There is no charge for the moorings though most do not have pennants and they get taken up early. Hope all have a good day.
jbenagh
Salem, MA

good idea

Post by jbenagh »

let's see about the wind - we can shift to Cocktail Cove on the North side. It's only 1/2- 3/4 mile from the designated spot so it should be easy for us to switch.

Jeff
jbenagh
Salem, MA

PS

Post by jbenagh »

Al, I hope you had had a good sail today -- we saw Athena (& you?) on your way into Salem.

Sorry we will miss you next week.

Jeff
KDreese
Hingham, MA

Post by KDreese »

I might be able to be there on Pintle coming up from Hingham. Depends on weather and such.
"Life begins at 2 knots."
Neil Gordon

Post by Neil Gordon »

KDreese wrote:I might be able to be there on Pintle coming up from Hingham. Depends on weather and such.
Keep in touch regarding your plans. We'll be leaving Marina Bay from Marina Bay.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Big E
Salem, MA

Post by Big E »

Sorry to say I can't make it either. I'm going to foxwoods for a bachelor party. If folks are going to stay overnight, DON'T FORGET MOSQUITO REPELLANT!!!!
Alasdair
Salem MA

Float in

Post by Alasdair »

Sounds good. I'll try and make it over to Misery Is. weather and the cape dory gods permitting.
jbenagh
Salem, MA

five of us

Post by jbenagh »

sorry for the gap, I'm back from a short cruise. I look forward to seeing you Saturday.

As Neil pointed out, we may be better to meet at Cocktail Cove on the NE end of Misery. I will try to post a message tomorrow with the meeting place, based on the forecast. Either way, it is only 1/2 mile additional and I will monitor ch 16 and ch 68.

Jeff

PS per Big E's post -- the bug spray is already on board if you need to share. Late June we moored further out, away from the bugs, but close in they were murder!