Walker Bay Experiences

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Troy Scott

Ideal Dinghy

Post by Troy Scott »

Why don't we pool our knowledge and experience and come up with a list of attributes the ideal dinghy would have? I'll start it:

1. Classic style to match our beautiful boats.
2. Very good stability.
3. Easy to row.
4. Easy to drive with power; electric, gasoline, whatever.
5. Reasonably good sailing, with an easily stowable/accessible rig.
6. Good towability.
7. Reasonably light and easy for one person to get it up on deck for longer passages or rough water.
8. Inexpensive.
9. Soft rub-rails that won't bang up our Cape Dorys, even the painted ones.
10. ?
Regards,
Troy Scott
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I vote for scratching number 8 from the list. You can't have it all. How about substituting good value. That would include durability and high resale.

A good deal is if you get what you pay for, Steve,
Troy Scott

inexpensive?

Post by Troy Scott »

Steve,

Well...., considering that most of us are sailing boats at least 20 years old, I think we are probably a relatively frugal group compared to most sailors. For me at least, inexpensive doesn't mean cheap nor lacking in value. It just refers to something that is not overpriced. I'd like to keep "inexpensive" on the list, with the qualification that I don't mean "cheap". I'd love to find a decent, functional, low-maintenance dinghy at a price that won't always have me wondering if I was foolish to pay so much. Several thousand dollars for a simple, tiny boat just seems dumb to me.

There was a time when I had pretty much decided to buy a Walker Bay 8. I am surprised but grateful for this discussion which has revealed the Walker Bay boat to be probably NOT the practical answer for which I had been looking. Now I'm still looking. I'm NOT going to succumb to the temptation to build my own. That's just one more big project I don't need to add to the already huge task of making my CD36 the best she can be.
Regards,
Troy Scott
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Troy, a Trinka would be a very nice addition to your better than original CD-36. At over $6000.00 I consider it to be a very expensive dinghy. It would probably hold up and hold it's value very well. So it may still be a good value.

I searched for a CD-10 for a while and had to drive from CT to NJ to buy one. A well maintained or restored CD-10 is every bit as nice or nicer than a Trinka. The only down side I see is that they are HEAVY.

There are no easy answers, Steve.
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Nutshell or Shellback

Post by jbenagh »

I'm kinda partial to Joel White's Nutshell of Shellback. Here's my Shellback's inaugural voyage:

Of course at 11' 6" she's half the length of my CD25. The Shellback is 105 lbs but the Nutshell is a lot lighter. I've been thinking of building a 7' 7" Nutshell pram. The Nutshell would even fit on the cabintop of a CD25 with a reefed main.

These fit all of Troy's criteria, except being motorable, as long as you build it yourself. I think you can purchase materials for a marine fir plywood, rowing Nutshell for about $700. Sailing gear about doubles the cost.

Jeff

PS plans and "how to" book from www.woodenboat.com -- that's how I learned.
Last edited by jbenagh on Jul 9th, '09, 07:33, edited 1 time in total.
seadog6532
Location: last boat 31' C&C Corvette, 0wner of CD30k #112 Arianna.

Post by seadog6532 »

I built a Nut Shell for my last boat and am sorry to say I let it go when I sold the boat. It did not tow as well as the Walker Bay, but it rowed almost as well and I think it sailed better and was a lot more stable for hauling and moving around in. Being made of ply and epoxy it also required more maintenance. It sure was pretty with it's little gaff rig sailing.

Mark and Anna of Arianna CD30K #112
Mark and Anna of Arianna CD30K #112
S/V Necessity
Columbia, MO

Trinka

Post by S/V Necessity »

I've seen a few trinkas sell used, and considering their price new I would say buying one used is a tremendous value! While they are high quality, I don't think you will be able to recoup the majority of your purchase price if you buy one new.
Jeff Burke
Location: 1983 Typhoon Daysailer #107, Serendipity, Canandaigua Lake, NY

Walker Bay 10

Post by Jeff Burke »

I just bought a Walker Bay 10 for $1,000. I bought it because of the classic lines and it is maintenance free. I only use it to go from my dock to the mooring 60 feet away. I do not like the design of the floor plate which is supposed to keep your feet dry but I find it hampers your ability to bail out the boat.
Ask me about the American Heart Association
Michael Ellis

Post by Michael Ellis »

I guess I would put "sailing" a little higher on the priority list.

Troy Scott

the dinghy photos

Post by Troy Scott »

Michael and Jeff,

Those are beautiful photos.
Regards,
Troy Scott
seajunkie

Post by seajunkie »

I've been thinking of building a 7' 7" Nutshell pram.
I've been thinking of building something like this too. The problem with San Diego is there is never a rainy day to do stuff like this. Every day is a good day for sailing. Tough life.
Seajunkie
cguthrie

Walker bay 8

Post by cguthrie »

We have had one for five years. I like it well enough but it took some time to get it sorted out to my needs. I bought it because it was relatively inexpensive, but it was tippy and rather dangerous in the choppy waters in Belfast. I swam a few times. But...when I added the stability tube it all changed for the better. With that it is very safe and stable. I can stand up in it without problems. I also added a Yamaha 2.5 and that works great in our conditions. It isn't as traditional a tender as I would like and all told it was expensive to add all these extras, but it is safe and easy to maintain, and light to move. Cliff
Cliff Guthrie