CD Typhoon Senior - Four Stroke fits the well?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Meg60301

CD Typhoon Senior - Four Stroke fits the well?

Post by Meg60301 »

Hello -

I am hoping a Typhoon Senior owner out there can tell me if the new four stroke outboards fit the engine well and allow for the hatch to close all the way?

Looks like this one may be too big, but this is the engine we would like to purchase for the boat: http://www.onlineoutboards.com/Tohatsu- ... A3EFL.html

8 hp is a good size, but we have some wild currents in the waters around Boston, MA and we would like something that we can really "kick in to gear!"

Any advise is appreciated!
Thanks!
- Meg[/url]
________
Vaporgenie
Last edited by Meg60301 on Feb 12th, '11, 04:38, edited 1 time in total.
crazywilbur

honda 5 hp

Post by crazywilbur »

Honda 5 hp just fits my cd 25. no room to spare. I wanted to put in a 8hp honda but it will not fit.
dockmaster at fhyc
Meg60301

Post by Meg60301 »

It looks like the Honda 8 HP is larger than the Tohatsu 8 HP...
________
Mexico Hotels
Meg60301

Post by Meg60301 »

Does anyone have the well dimensions for the Typhoon Senior? Plus the hatch.
________
Magic flight
Dave H

Ty Sr motor well

Post by Dave H »

Hi Meg,
My Ty Sr came with a 5 hp Honda. It was a great motor and fit well. I replaced it with a 6 hp Nissan long shaft. It fits, and works well. It's gone head on into big wind and steep chop, no problem.
Dave
dgsail
Location: 1986 Cape Dory 26, Hull 50, Bridget, Montrose Harbor, ChicagoOriginal Owner

Outboards for your well

Post by dgsail »

We have a CD 26 with a well. Several years ago we replaced our old Johnson with a new outboard. We did a test fit of the Honda 9.9 and it was too large for the well. We purchased a Yamaha 9.9. It fits in the well except that we can only put the bottom board that goes in front of the motor on one side. Other than that, the engine size works well. We also purchased the extra long shaft. I do like the fact that it has a forward, reverse, neutral lever right in the tiller handle.
Debbie Garrity
Kemah

Typhoon Senior outboard

Post by Kemah »

I had to replace the original motor after I bought my Typhoon Senior several years ago. I ended up going with a Tohatsu (identical to Nissan) 6 hp. I have quite strong cross currents and a prevailing opposing SW wind coming out of my harbor. I'm using a 6" pitch Tohatsu prop, instead of the 8" pitch prop that came with the motor, to get more thrust. I seem to get plenty of power from this. I also like the fact that the weight of the motor at the very stern of the boat is relatively light, about the same as the weight of the long-shaft Evinrude I replaced. There are 3 shaft lengths available for this motor. I ultimately selected the "Long" 20" shaft, and I have never had the motor cavitate, even in choppy seas. When the two people on board are up on the bow at the mooring and the motor's running, it makes a little more noise, but I don't think the prop is actually coming out of the water. There have been a number of postings on Ty Sr outboards, including hp, shaft length, prop pitch, etc., on this website. (In an earlier post, I mentioned that the shaft measurements on the Tohatsu/Nissan websites for each of the three 6 hp shaft lengths understate the actual lengths.) If you were ordering the engine from a dealer, you might be able to try out a 8 hp vs. a 6 hp, according to an earlier posting on this website. You can also call Tohatsu/Nissan and get some advice from them sometimes. I'm afraid I don't have any answers regarding the issue of Ty Sr well size and a Tohatsu 8 hp. By the way, I'd suggest using Interlux Primocon and Trilux on the motor, following the website instructions carefully, before putting it in the well for the season.
Jack Laudermilk
Location: Cape Dory Typhoon Senior, Gracie, Duxbury, Massachusetts

Post by Jack Laudermilk »

Meg, I purchased and restored a Ty Sr this past year and purchased a Yamaha High Thrust 9.9. It fits fine in the well although I had to move the mounting board slightly further forward. Lid closes fine. I elected to forego the handle and fitted a remote throttle-powerboat style- control in the side wall of the cockpit. I shift it manually on the motor. I concluded the handle would interfere with the tiller movement. It is okay. All life is a compromise. For what it is worth, the high thrust design and big prop is more power than you will ever need. Moves the boat faster than my CD 36 ever traveled with a big diesel.