the GREAT LAKES, an awesome cruising ground

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

mike ritenour

the GREAT LAKES, an awesome cruising ground

Post by mike ritenour »

While we are weatherd here in Cheyboygan, MI for a few days and enjoying the marine bounty on our bows, I thought I'd let the cat out of the bag and let everyone know about this wonderful cruising grounds.

As many know we've begun our multi-year circumnavigation of the Great Lakes and are now located in the Straits of Mackinaw. This location offers Sweetwater Sailors an wide varitey of sailing options and an awesome cruising ground.

Within a days sail one has Lake Michigan, the Door Country, the Straits of Mackinaw, Lake Superior, the North Channel, Lake Huron and Georgian Bay. Not to mention a gazillion shoreside attractions and lots of historical destinations. We really enjoyed visiting Fort Mackinaw, a very well maintained facility, while in the area.

In the coming weeks we will be exploring Lake Superior and its wonderful destinations and hopefully rubbing rails with some of our famous CD'ers who call her home.

Fair Winds,

Rit
Sandy D.
Grosse Pointe,Mi

Post by Sandy D. »

Hey Mike,
Welcome to Michigan. Right around the corner from you is the small harbor of Presque Isle. It has a fantastic state run marina, cool old light-houses, fantastic ice cream, and in my opinion, the best anchorage in the area.

I'm not sure of your future destinations, but if you find yourselves on Lake Saint Clair/ Detroit be sure to drop me a line for any local help I may be. Have a great trip, and fair winds.

-Sandy
GeorgeV

Lake Superior

Post by GeorgeV »

Mike,

I had cruised several years throughout Lake Superior and found it to be some of the most beautiful area I have ever sailed.

Yes the water is cold, the lake can become very rough and the weather conditions can change on a dime, but it was all worth it.

Be sure to visit Isle Royale, Thunderbay and other wonderful small towns on the Canadian border on the north side of the Lake. Duluth and Superior are fun stops and besure you spend enough time in the Aposole Islands.

I would also highly recommend the crusing guide The Superior Way by Bonnie Dahl

http://www.landfallnavigation.com/bj050.html

It is very well written and a wealth of great information.

Take your time and enjoy.
GeorgeV
s/v: Peace and Quiet
Tayana 37
Essex, CT
http://sailingonisabelle.yolasite.com/
Len

Look for these locks

Post by Len »

On your multi year trip around the Great lakes, I strongly recommend an area I visited two years ago.When you get to Lake Ontario be sure to check out CANAL RIDEAU. This is a world heritage site that I find most Americans are unfamiliar with. It is a series of 50 locks which join canals with lakes to span the 125 miles from Kingston Ontario to Ottawa. Completed in the early part of the 1800's, it still operates as it did originally mostly by hand cranking wooden doors. Construction was started to allow ships to bypass that stretch of the St. Lawrence that bordered NY state (and whose cannon prevented safe passage for the British between the lakes). A visit to the thousand Islands area is incomplete with checking out at least a few of the locks. I had a great time going "UP" the lakes and than "Down" the lakes. Watch out for their buoyage system .www.rideau-info.com/canal/locks/index.
Len Kovit
Ignorance is the mother of adventure.

http://www.sail0rman.com