Spam Protection or Spam?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Roy J.
Location: The fleet: Auburn CD-25, CD-28 #255 as yet unnamed Marblehead MA

Spam Protection or Spam?

Post by Roy J. »

I received in my CD inbox a message from "ferracont" called "spam protection". Does anyone know if this is spam, or legitimate? Just checking before I do something stupid.
Roy Jacobowitz
seajunkie

delete it

Post by seajunkie »

This is a link to a site in Russia. Don't open it.
Seajunkie
Roy J.
Location: The fleet: Auburn CD-25, CD-28 #255 as yet unnamed Marblehead MA

Thanks

Post by Roy J. »

It looked like a wolf in sheep's clothing -- Thanks. Now to rubrail scraping. Fun!
Roy Jacobowitz
Shipscarver
"SOUL MATE"

Post by Shipscarver »

already opened it to see what it was. What's the point? There was no link in it?
Shipscarver
Sailing the Florida Gulf
Ron Churgin

Post by Ron Churgin »

how does one delete private messages?
Ron Churgin
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

How To Delete APM

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Ron,

Click on Private Message notice at top right of home page.

Scroll down to the private message to be removed.

Click on that message.

When that message appears, scroll down to its bottom.

On the lower right you will find "Save message" or "Delete message".

Click on "Delete message"

Another box will appear asking if you are sure that you want to delete the message.

Click "Yes".

Good luck,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
BillyO

Spam,

Post by BillyO »

Looked like I could marry a Russian bride from this SPAM.
Don't open it.
Sluggo

Post by Sluggo »

Mine was for pills to take on the honeymoon. :roll:
~Tom
BillyO

Spam

Post by BillyO »

Ah, who would have thought that we could now get a Russian mail order bride with a supply of male enhancement pills on our beloved Cape Dory Board !
Next thing you you know will be the availability of Catalina sailboats, also.
Steve Laume

Maybe not SPAM

Post by Steve Laume »

This might have been an appropriate post for some of the older single sailors on the CD board.

Insatiable Russian women who love to sail.

They seem to have a fine eye for classic boats, Steve.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Spam

Post by Neil Gordon »

BillyO wrote:Ah, who would have thought that we could now get a Russian mail order bride with a supply of male enhancement pills on our beloved Cape Dory Board !
Real Cape Dory sailors don't need "enhancement pills."
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
mike ritenour

me too!

Post by mike ritenour »

Got two in two days.

rit
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Spammer's been deleted...

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Hi Gang,

Sorry once again but as you have already seen our message board was once again taken advantage of by a spammer.

I have been away since May 19th and have only returned home last night (Thursday, June 11th). We were delivering a yacht from the Caribbean to Maine via Bermuda. I did not have internet access.

Anyway, Walt deleted the spammer's account on June 1st, but the spammer had enough time to spam, via the PM feature, 1000 of our member's before his account was deleted. We're trying to prevent this from happening again, but once anyone has gotten through the registration process, they are free to use the board just as you are -- which includes sending PMs. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, if/when you receive any spam in your PM inbox, please send a note immediately to webmaster@capedory.org. That account is monitored by 3 people. So if I'm away, someone will still get it. We don't hang out on the message board all day, so we're not likely to find out about this type of thing without getting that email.

Thanks,
Cathy
Webmaster-CDSOA, Inc.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Changes in message board registration process.....

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Hi Gang,

In an effort to combat the increasingly clever and bothersome spammers and spambots that have been attacking our members via the 'pm' feature of the board, we have implemented the following:
  1. Administrative approval of all new message board user registrations [This has been in effect for some time now but it's easy to approve the registration of a spammer when they are not obviously spammers. Luckily, the majority of spam registrations have not gotten through this process.]
  2. Visual confirmation. This requires that a new message board user type a special code (usually displayed as a crooked graphic containing both numbers and letters). This has also been in effect for quite awhile. To add to this we are now requiring that the code be typed as you see it BUT to SWAP the first two characters. For example if the confirmation code displayed is ABCDEF, then you will enter BACDEF. The code is case sensitive and zero has a diagonal line through it.
  3. Required information. We are now requiring that new message board users provide in the 'Boat' field of the user profile the name of your boat. If you don't own a boat, please type "no boat". Do not leave this field blank. In the 'Comments' field, please provide some information about why you wish to register with the CD message board. Each registration is manually approved, so if you do not provide us with any information, we will assume that you are a spammer. The information you provide will be publicly viewable, but you can come back and add or change the information at any time. And the URL for your web site may not be included during the registration process, but after your registration has been approved just click on 'Your Settings' at the top of any message board page and add the URL in the 'Profile Information' section. Don't forget to scroll to the bottom of the page and click on 'Submit'.
Cathy
Webmaster-CDSOA, Inc.
and the web team
Walt Bilofsky,
Bob Dugan, and
Ray Garcia
webmaster@capedory.org