Question -- Boat in water yet ?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Bob Owens
City Island, New York

Beautiful

Post by Bob Owens »

DWR: A handsome looking craft. You have that CD 27 in great shape. What a list of jobs. (Are you ok with the position of that rear lifting strap? My yard used to want to put it there too, above the prop, but the CD manual says it should go under the keel just forward of the rudder. There are a couple of thousand lbs. of keel having to be supported by the hull below that strap.)
Best,
Bob
Steve Laume

Yikes straps!

Post by Steve Laume »

I was so busy looking at the beautiful condition of the CD27 I didn't even see the straps.

That is a really good looking boat!

The yard might have been trying to move the strap back as far as possible to balance the boat. Fact is the balance point is way forward at the turn of the keel. There seems no advantage to threading the strap through the prop opening. There could be problems. I can't imagine it would hurt the hull but the keel was made to support the boat.

I would worry more about removing the strap after the boat is launched. Instead of dropping away from the boat, it has to be dragged through the opening over the prop. Even if it doesn't get stuck in there it was dumb of the yard, in my not so humble opinion.

Did the tie the bow strap to the stern?

I always get nervous when someone else is lifting my baby and tossing her about. To some yard guys it might just be a job.

I do have a lot of faith in our guys but I keep an eye on them, Steve.
Wayne Grenier

Post by Wayne Grenier »

I have a nice old CD 28 in the water in South Dartmouth Mass-if anyone wants to go for sail let me know-we have a genoa and a cruising spinnaker -I go out alot during the week assuming its a nice afternoon/evening-thanks-
Troy Scott

prop?

Post by Troy Scott »

Dog W. Ray,

What kind of prop?
Regards,
Troy Scott