In Annapolis!

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Russell

In Annapolis!

Post by Russell »

After a few years cruising the Caribbean I am back in Annapolis! Still debating my summer options, but will be in the Chesapeake for a couple weeks at the very least (but possibly all summer). Anyone out at the boats, cruising or whatever in the area, let me know, I would love to meet some of the folks I have corresponded with on this board all these years!
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Welcome Back

Post by Duncan »

It seems like yesterday...that you were just getting your boat fitted out, and then sailed up to Block Island on a shakedown. Congratulations on seeing your plans through, now you've got a lot of sea-miles under your belt!
vjasinski

Post by vjasinski »

Hi Russell - We met you on your way south, in White Sound of Green Turtle Cay in the Abacos. Have been following your adventures (via this board) over the past 3.5 years as you sailed through the islands.
Our boat is now in FL, but we will be heading north in July. Hope to be in Maine around August-September. Probably skip the Chesapeake on the way up, but will come through southbound. Maybe we will catch up then.

Vinnie and Maria on s/v Amante
Evergreen
Location: 1986 Cape Dory 36 - Hull # 139 - "Evergreen" - kept at Great Island Boat Yard - Maine

Maine

Post by Evergreen »

Russell:

We also will be spending about three or four months in Maine. Perhaps you should also think about heading north. It is a beautiful and much cooler environment, and it is a cheap place to spend time (can anchor out most always). Employment opportunities however are questionable and definitely very seasonal.

We will do our best to catch up with you regardless of what you decide.

Best wishes,
Philip & Sharon
https://share.delorme.com/ADVNTURUNLIMITD (Where is Evergreen?)
http://northernexposurein2013.blogspot.com/ (Link to older blogs)
mahalocd36

Maine...

Post by mahalocd36 »

Hey Russell,
Another vote for you to come to Maine!

Would love to meet you!

Melissa & Rich
Melissa Abato
www.sailmahalo.com
chase

cool weather

Post by chase »

Yeah, Maine sounds like the place to be. Perhaps your blood is a little thinner than when you were in the Chesapeake last though..

However, if you are in Annapolis in a couple of weeks, we'll be headed that way via Cape Henlopen and would love to catch up. We plan to depart Ocracoke around June 14, and will sail hard for Annapolis to get my crew home.

Any local advice for anchorage or cheap mooring with dinghy dock in Annapolis? My mate may want to grab a slip, we'll see how it goes.

I don't really have a good way to keep in touch after we put out Ocracoke but I will install radio and dipole while offshore if other things don't need attention. I'll try you after Herb maybe mid-week? Otherwise send cell or monitor 16(or other channel?) around 1600 or 1630, whenever Southbound II usually ends.

Chase
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Welcome back

Post by Jim Davis »

We met at Caso Rio before you left (my wife owns the open Ty). We will be heading north near the end of the month. Our "plan" is perhaps as far as Bar Harbor and return in mid September.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
Bob L

heading north, too

Post by Bob L »

We also are heading to Maine. If you head that way, we'll keep an eye out for you. Our tentative departure date is June 15.

Bob
Dean Abramson

It's unanimous!

Post by Dean Abramson »

Russell,

Come on up to Maine! I would love to meet you.

Come to our Float In: http://www.capedory.org/fleetevents/NE- ... n_Info.pdf

Congratulations on living your dream.

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Troy Scott

the Float In

Post by Troy Scott »

WRT

http://www.capedory.org/fleetevents/NE- ... n_Info.pdf

Gosh, I would love to be there in my own boat. I DO expect to sail to Maine someday.
Regards,
Troy Scott
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Russell,

I'll be in Annapolis and vicinity on a chartered catermaran (I think its a Belize 43?) for my oldest son's bachelor party the 1st weekend in August. If you will be in the area I'll let you know where we will be so you can stop by for a beer or two or three. The three of them have been sailing since before the youngest was born. I sure they would like to hear about some of your experiences in cruising the Caribbean.

Joe
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Russell

Post by Russell »

Maine is still a consideration, getting away from the mid atlantic heat is of course highly appealing. If I head that way it wont be until July. I am at Tilgmans Island now and Solomons tommorow, heading to DC for my sisters wedding, then back to Annapolis by end of June. Joe, I will certainly try to catch you if I am there in August! Annapolis for a bachelors party, great town for it!
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

DC

Post by Jim Davis »

Russell

In DC let me recommend the Capital Yacht Club. Excellent facilities and showers, more important secure dinghy dock. They are a reasonable walk to METRO and easy for folks with cars to pick you up.

http://www.capitalyachtclub.com/
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
Bill Cochrane
s/v Phoenix

Welcome back!

Post by Bill Cochrane »

Russell, welcome back! Here's the Chesapeake Fleet event schedulefor the summer. Where are you staying when you're in the Annapolis area?
Brett I. Miller
West River, MD

Slip

Post by Brett I. Miller »

Russell,

Welcome back. FYI, if you need a place to keep the boat (and yourself) while you are in the area (and you've opted to say in the Bay rather than head up to D.C.), I've got an empty slip for a CD36 on the West River across from Hartge's (Chalk Point Marina) until at least June 18. You -- or anyone else passing through the area for that matter -- are welcome to it, as I'm still on the hard for a while yet.

Best,

Brett