Intermittant Alternator

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Kittiwake

Intermittant Alternator

Post by Kittiwake »

I'm trying to sort out a problem that's developed over the last couple of days that so far has me baffled. After an especially rough crossing of St Andrew's Sound about 10 days ago, I noticed that my alternator had stopped putting out juice late in the afternoon. About 2 hr after shutting the Volvo down, it would work again. This has been repeated daily since - nothing that I can pinpoint associated with it (rough water, rain, battery voltage, etc).
The alternator is the new version of the original, 35 amp generator, about a year old without previous problems in approx 500 hr of use. Batteries are 2 Lifeline AGM group 24s, are holding charge well, and I don't use much juice as you can imagine.
Thinking that it must be a short in the wiring which happens when things heat up, or maybe get wet, or something?
Any ideas, or similar past experiences?
Thanks
Bill Watson
sharkbait

Post by sharkbait »

The internal regulator in an alternator has a nasty habit of working intermittently. Depending upon the type of regulator you might be able to just replace the regulator.
Have A Nice Day
Jeff Barnes

Post by Jeff Barnes »

I too would suspect the regulator, particularly if it's the internal version. With the AGMs I would definitely invest in an external 3-stage regulator which has adjustable charging voltages and times. They are also more reliable.

I have 4 6-volt AGMs (400 Ah) on my CD36 with a Heart Interface regulator and haven't had a problem in five years.

Jeff
Kittiwake

Thanks

Post by Kittiwake »

I've just finished putting the old alternator back in, and will take the "new" alternator in to have it checked out tomorrow. With more experimentation observation - think it was heat related, so maybe a diode or something? Thanks for the ideas, if this doesn't do it, will be going to external regulator, hopefully later rather than sooner...
Bill Watson
Jeff Barnes

Post by Jeff Barnes »

Bill,

Good lick with the testing. These types of problems can be challenging to diagnose. Your AGMs will ultimately be happier with a three stage external regulator with adjustable charging pahses.
Let us know what they find with the new alternator.

Jeff
Bob L

similar problem

Post by Bob L »

Bill,

Last year as we exited the Cape May Channel, heading back to the Chesapeake, I noticed our alternator was not charging the batteries. We anchored near the beach by the channel and I did some measurements. The alternator was putting out a good voltage, measured at the starter motor, but nothing was getting to either battery. I tried all sorts of things, wiggling wires, checking and cleaning various connections, but nothing worked. Eventually, I figured we'd head back into Cape May and get some help.

The ONLY change that I had done to the alternator was the day before when I tightened the belt. While anchored working on the problem, and in desperation, I slacked off on the belt a bit. This was the last thing I did before heading back to Cape May, and after starting the engine, I saw we were charging again. I doubt that my changing the belt tension had an effect, although some stress might have been put on the bearings (which is improbable to kill the charging).

Since then I have had no problem with the alternator, but live in some fear it will show up again.

Bob