Sails for Cape Dory - Reviews Price? Quality?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

wsonntag
SURPRISE
Georgetown Maryland
Member Since 2005

Sails for Cape Dory - Reviews Price? Quality?

Post by wsonntag »

I did a quick search of Board this pm, not much came up. Anyone recently dealt with North Sails for a new Cape Dory sail? Looking for good value on a new mainsail for CD 31.

Thanks,

Bill Sonntag
SURPRISE
CD31

PS As always, check out restored 1888 racing yacht ELF at www.cyrg.org ELF will be a Mystic Seaport, Wooden Boat Show last weekend of June. We'll sail her up from Independence Seaport Museum in Philadelphia week before.
Dana

Post by Dana »

Hi bill,

I bought a new loose footed, full batten, 6 oz. dacron main from North Sails here in Portland Oregon in the early spring of 2009. I have used North sails and others for over forty years and I really like North's quality and service. Not only did the North rep come down to measure my boat but we talked about how and where the sail would be used as well as my personal preferences in a main. I wanted three sets of reef points, a cunningham, adjustable tension battens and a very full roach. My North rep delivered on each request and did it at very reasonable price. I would recommend North mains and hopefully you have a great North rep in your area too.
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Another Happy North Sails Customer

Post by jbenagh »

Bill,

I am very happy with our new main & genoa that I bought from North's Cruising Direct. We've only sailed them about 16 hours so far but they have been great.

Jeff
Maine Sail

I highly recommend

Post by Maine Sail »

I highly recommend National Sail Supply in Florida!! I have now purchased eight or nine sails from Dirk with ZERO issues. They are beautiful sails that are very, very well built.

Dirk used to work for Rolly Tasker in Phuket and was his GM at the largest sail loft in the world. He decided to move back to Florida and open his own sail business selling and importing from Rolly all his sails.

The sails are made of US woven Challenge sail cloth which is the the same cloth coming off the same machines as NorDac, North Sails Dacron. How do I know this? My local sail maker got a batch of Challenge hi modulus and it was accidentally packaged in NorDac wrapping.. Doh.. oops...!

Another thing about Rolly Tasker sails is that they build cruising sails for LOTS and LOTS of the big name companies here in the states. I promised Dirk that I would not disclose who RT builds for, and I don't know them all either, so I won't, but you would be horrified if you knew even a few, trust me.

If you think your small loft is actually building your sail you may be wrong as Dirk & Tasker also supply many local small time guys who sub out the cruising sail business through Dirk.

I ordered a new main this winter for my CS-36 and at the same time my buddy, whom I race with on an Ericson 35, ordered a new main from our local loft. I raced with him last night and his sail is not even in the same league as mine construction wise, it's lightly constructed, and he paid $3400.00.

My sail is triple stitched, his is double, mine has a solid riveted head board his does not, my reef points are built to an off shore standard his are not, my tack & clew reinforcements are built for off shore use and his are clearly coastal, my batten pockets are more secure and better designed and adjustable, my clew and tack are both hand finished and stitched in UV resistant leather.

Both sails look to have been designed on the same computer system and both have excellent shape and are within +/- 2 feet of each other luff length wise. I am his main sail trimmer so I do know my mains. He should have ordered a RT sail... :wink:

My new sail with top two battens full, draft stripe, logo, 8.3 oz Challenge cloth, two reef points, shipping and a brand new sail cover was $1713.00 delivered. His was $3400.00 with 7.6 oz and no sail cover....

If anyone in Maine is going to be near Falmouth you are welcome to see this sail. I can't speak highly enough of the best value in cruising sails which is Rolly Tasker / National Sail Supply.

Do not bother going to other Tasker dealers as Dirk has the lock stock and barrel best price to feature spec/ratio of ANYONE. Remember he has the inside scoop and as Rolly's ex general manager. I assume, because of this, he gets better pricing than just about any other Tasker dealer..

This is not a one time deal for me I have purchased CD-27 sails C-30 & C-36 sails and now CS-36 sails all have been spot on and the absolute best price on the planet..
-Maine Sail
CS-36T
Broad Cove, Maine

My Marine How To Articles
Ron M.

I'm with Mainsail on this one

Post by Ron M. »

Just saw this thread........I purchased a 135 and a yankee a few years ago
from Dirk at National Sail in Florida. He is great to work with and does not blow smoke up your butt. Sails are well constructed with quality materials and extra reinforcement.
Compared to brand name franchise operations, I think his sails are a true bargin. Much of the work may be done overseas, but I received exactly what I ordered, with a timely delivery, and at a significant savings over other quotes.
2 thumbs up.
The Sail Warehouse in California has a lot of off the shelf that isn't bad.
From a comparison,( a friend got one of their mains) I think National is a better deal.
________
Ford times picture
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 06:07, edited 1 time in total.
wsonntag
SURPRISE
Georgetown Maryland
Member Since 2005

Post by wsonntag »

Thanks everyone - very helpful advice.

Happy Sailing

Bill Sonntag