Question -- Boat in water yet ?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

The Patriot

Re: Sailing in upstate New York

Post by The Patriot »

ckelly wrote:Five typhoons going in the water this Saturday at Otsego Lake,(Glimmerglass), Cooperstown New York this Saturday morning. Can't wait. Chris
We just spent 2 evenings at the Lake Front Motel visiting Cooperstown and environs (by auto, of course). Great spot and very cordial. Left Thursday so we just missed watching your festivities. Good luck.
KDreese
Hingham, MA

Cape Dory's Rule

Post by KDreese »

Boat went in last week. Gosh we have such pretty boats. Once again the season begins and every time I walk away from the boat I always turn back for one last look. Proud to be an owner ready for another season. "Pintle" may not be perfect but she is perfectly ours!

Still havent figured out how to post pictures but if you are interested I took some of "Pinlte" and posted them here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24241390@N ... 695153439/
"Life begins at 2 knots."
SurryMark

Tula wet

Post by SurryMark »

Tula went into Blue Hill Harbor on May 23, but hasn't been under sail yet. When the yard put the mast up they, well, forgot the halyards, so the first trip was under power to a taller crane. There's still some cleaning up to do, chart plotter to be wired, etc., but we're looking for our first sail with Tula some time this week, rain or no. There is a CD 30 ketch in this water, and a beautiful 33 and 36 going in shortly.
Mark Baldwin
Surry, Maine
www.borealispress.net
D Rush

Looking Good, Pintle

Post by D Rush »

Nice pictures of a nice CD 25
Denis
Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Yup

Post by Carter Brey »

Delphine's been in a month already, but I'm only now getting some quality time at the wheel. Last week on Long Island Sound was notable for beautiful weather and good wind. Here's a vignette from last Thursday, close hauled, reefed down and heading home into the sunset after a daysail to Greenwich, CT:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VB7bqo9Ls4A&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VB7bqo9Ls4A&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Michael Heintz
Location: Macht NichtsCD 30 MK IICove MarinaNorwalk, CT Woods Hole MarinaWoods Hole, Ma

Thursday.....yes it was.....

Post by Michael Heintz »

Carter,

I was out as well a bit east of you in Norwalk, winds were great.

I love your video......but for the love of Pete man.......can we not get a soundtrack with that:-)

m
Michael Heintz
Captain Commanding
SV Macht Nichts
CD 30 MKII 004
Norwalk, CT
Woods Hole, MA.

http://www.heintzwasson.com
The Artist is not born to a life of pleasure.
He must not live idle;
he has hard work to perform,
and one which often proves a cross to be borne.
He must realize that his every deed, feeling, and thought
are raw but sure material from which his work is to arise,
That he is free in Art but not in life.
gates_cliff

Re: Launching tomorrow!!!

Post by gates_cliff »

NOt quite. Been doing some things suggested by the surveyor to my "new to me" CD 27. I discovered and issue with the stem head fitting, posted separately. Put in a new fuel tank, new fuel lines, painted the bottom, washed and waxed the hull. However, after reading the extensive comment about hull washing, compounding, waxing, I'm thinking of redoing it. I should have been finished a few weeks ago but unexpectedly had to go to Chicago on business, for 3 weeks! The first weekend when I had some time I went downtown, this was my first visit to Chicago, and took a water taxi, just to be on some kind of a boat. Well, we came to a bridge and there were a whole slew of sailboat milling about just on the other side of the bridge. I was thinking to myself that must be a realy pain to have to wait on the bridge every time you wanted to go sailing. Then asked the guy running the water taxi, and he told me about how they schedule the bridges a few times in the spring and thn again in the fall. That's when I realized why I saw a boat yard in, loaded with stored boats, but not near any water.

Anyway, the trip to Chicago has put me way behind!!!!!!
Mike Raehl wrote:On Thursday, we will make the Chicago River trip and lock passage, then motor to the harbor. Mast stepping on Saturday and then the season officially begins! I did cheat the season a little by crewing on a Catalina 25 last Sunday, 30 miles from Waukegan to Chicago Monroe Harbor.
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

Sine Qua Non is in and has been out twice so far this season. Where Carter Brey and Michael Heintz found conditions that made their respective vessels nip along smartly with the glorious wind, I only found wind generated by the iron genny, a YSM8. Both times the wind was virtually non existent!!

Fear not...soon I will be prowling the approaches to Oyster Bay under full sail ready and able to chase down all comers!!!
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
JWSutcliffe

Post by JWSutcliffe »

Oryx was launched last Monday. and we sailed her back to Branford CT from Portsmouth RI. Other than a raw water blockage that cost us 24 hours of grief (and was finally resolved by disassembling the entire raw water loop while off Watch Hill RI) we had a rather nice trip.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23556334@N ... 130867659/
Skip Sutcliffe
CD31 Oryx
Dixon Hemphill

Post by Dixon Hemphill »

Great video, Carter! In fact, so well done I felt as though I was aboard your boat. And the sound track sounds pretty realistic to me. What does Michael want --- the New York Symphony playing "Over the bounding bay"?
Within the the unlocked homes of the Swedish villages on the shores of the Baltic around the rocks sings the sea.
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

This week--or next.

Post by Joe Myerson »

I finished my tasks on Memorial Day, and the yard manager says he'll try to launch by the the end of the week.

Carter: Wonderful video--makes me all the more anxious to get out there!

Dixon: Perhaps what Michael wants is a Carter Brey cello solo as a soundtrack. That would be quite a treat!

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Michael Heintz
Location: Macht NichtsCD 30 MK IICove MarinaNorwalk, CT Woods Hole MarinaWoods Hole, Ma

Soundtrack....

Post by Michael Heintz »

What does Michael want --- the New York Symphony playing "Over the bounding bay"?

ummmmmmm that would be nice !!!!!!

Me thinks Carter may have connections,......question is...can they all fit on board ?
Michael Heintz
Captain Commanding
SV Macht Nichts
CD 30 MKII 004
Norwalk, CT
Woods Hole, MA.

http://www.heintzwasson.com
The Artist is not born to a life of pleasure.
He must not live idle;
he has hard work to perform,
and one which often proves a cross to be borne.
He must realize that his every deed, feeling, and thought
are raw but sure material from which his work is to arise,
That he is free in Art but not in life.
Dixon Hemphill

Post by Dixon Hemphill »

Skip, is that the Watch Hill lighthouse among your photos? If so, it's the one near where I spent many happy summers sailing and swimming many years ago.

Once a friend and I (both aged about 14) paddled his canoe from the Watch Hill beach around the light house waters to Misquamicut beach. When my parents found about our adventure that was the last time I paddled in a canoe until I was "of age".
Within the the unlocked homes of the Swedish villages on the shores of the Baltic around the rocks sings the sea.
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

I went up over the weekend and did some work. Only drew blood once when I slammed the midship cleat with my toe. Happens every year but I was very thankful to be barefoot at this time of year anyway.

Got the bottom painted, seacocks greased, the stuffing box packed, impeller re installed and the shrinkwrap cut off carefully for the ultra cheap experiment of putting it back on next fall. My brother and I have a cunning plan. Here she is with my two supervisors.

Troy Scott

new lifelines?

Post by Troy Scott »

Joe Myerson,

I'd like to know more about the new lifelines. I'm planning to replace mine, but that's one of the last things I'll do....

Folks! Thanks for the great photos! And Carter, the video is awesome...
Last edited by Troy Scott on May 29th, '09, 16:20, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Troy Scott