CD26 Stove Question ?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

gpb102030

CD26 Stove Question ?

Post by gpb102030 »

I am interested in purchasing a stove for my 26D but have a few concerns. If I purchase a Origo 3000 how dose it work with the fold down shelf ? If I tilt it up will all of the alcohol leak out of it or do i have to take out the fuel canisters first ? Is there room to put the stove on gimbals or will they come apart when tilted up or will the stove come apart when tilted up ? OR will it rattle and make lots of noise underway or when the diesel running ? Will I be satisfied with the cooking performance ? Or should i stop being cheep and by the propane stove with the fuel locker but where do i put the locker ? Or should I be cheep buy the cookmate and save the $90 ? Lots of thoughts running through my head. Any advise would be very appreciated. Thanks Greg
gpb102030
Kurt
9' Dyer,
Grosse Pointe, Michigan

Origo stove

Post by Kurt »

I would go with either the single burner 1500 or the two burner 3000. I own an Origo and I'm impressed with it's ability to generate heat. It'll boil a quart of water in just a few minutes. I would recommend removing the fuel canisters if you plan to store the stove on it's side.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

I've been cooking on the 3000 for several years, including a six month season living on board. I've been happy with it and there's nothing I wouldn't attempt to make on the stove top.

Alcohol takes some patience if you're boiling large quantities of water.

Yes, the canisters will spill if turned on their sides.

(The hardware store is a better source of fuel than the marine store.)
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
rtbates

leaking fuel??

Post by rtbates »

I find that after filling my Origo 3000 fuel cannisters I can turn them over and nothing comes out, as I was expecting, as that's the whole purpose of the mesh material.

Possibly you're over filling the cannisters Neil
Randy 25D Seraph #161
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: leaking fuel??

Post by Neil Gordon »

rtbates wrote:I find that after filling my Origo 3000 fuel cannisters I can turn them over and nothing comes out, as I was expecting, as that's the whole purpose of the mesh material.

Maybe there's an absortion time after which they don't spill. My comment was based on filling them as instructed, which is to tip them and pour the alcohol in until full (in the tipped position). There's clearly a pool of alcohol in the cannister at that point.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
rtbates

Re: leaking fuel??

Post by rtbates »

Neil Gordon wrote:
rtbates wrote:I find that after filling my Origo 3000 fuel cannisters I can turn them over and nothing comes out, as I was expecting, as that's the whole purpose of the mesh material.

Maybe there's an absortion time after which they don't spill. My comment was based on filling them as instructed, which is to tip them and pour the alcohol in until full (in the tipped position). There's clearly a pool of alcohol in the cannister at that point.
Hey Neil:

Most likely there is a time to absorb. I fill mine with the tank flat and after it's full as defined by seeing a pool on top I tip it over and only the excess on top spills out. After that I can tip it and nothing comes out. Filling it on edge would leave quite a bit of the material dry until it was placed on the level and that material allowed to absorb fuel.
Randy 25D Seraph #161
BillNH

Origo 3000 in 26D

Post by BillNH »

I have an Origo 3000 on my 26D and am quite satisfied with it. I have the gimbals and am using the fold-down shelf. Gimbals work great.

I usually only cook on one burner, so I keep that cylinder filled to about half capacity. That way it can't spill because the fuel is below the center hole. I don't do this because of having it spill though - I've just always done it as a precaution...
gates_cliff

Wallas Stove/Heater

Post by gates_cliff »

Has anyone tried the Wallas Diesel Stove/Heaters? They look like they would fit and work ok on a CD 27.