Solar Panel

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Steve P
Shelter Island, NY

Solar Panel

Post by Steve P »

This is my first posting since I purchased a CD-25 last fall. I am keeping my boat on a mooring this season on Shelter Island, NY and need to purchase a solar panel to keep my battery charged. Was looking at the Sunsei SE-500. Anyone have experience with Sunsei panels or have another recommendation?

Thanks

Steve
Carl Thunberg

I've had several of these

Post by Carl Thunberg »

. . . and why do you ask have I had several of these? Because I kept stepping on them! Every one of them worked great right up to the time they were shattered. If you're going to buy one, think through where is a safe place for it, because if you put it on the companionway hatch cover it will get stepped on eventually, no matter how careful you say you're going to be. Invest in the rail mount. That way it has a fighting chance of surviving. Please don't ask how many panels I went through before coming to this conclusion :wink:
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

Steve,

that one should work. On Carl's (prior owner) recommendation, I bought a 6.5W flexible one*. It has worked well for keeping a charge. The panels are subject to a bit of handling abuse since there's not really a place for a permanent mount on the CD25. The flexible ones are a bit more forgiving of being dropped or stepped upon, both of which have happened with mine.

Jeff

* http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse.cfm/4,32659.html
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

hee hee. We wrote at exactly the same time.

So far, the flexible panel has worked well. One full season with about 40 days on the boat around two young children. Apparently the extra money was worth it.

Jeff
Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Re: Solar Panel

Post by Carter Brey »

Steve P wrote:This is my first posting since I purchased a CD-25 last fall. I am keeping my boat on a mooring this season on Shelter Island, NY and need to purchase a solar panel to keep my battery charged. Was looking at the Sunsei SE-500. Anyone have experience with Sunsei panels or have another recommendation?

Thanks

Steve
Steve,

emarine offers a package with a 10-watt panel and a mount designed for a 1" rail:

http://www.e-marine-inc.com/products/so ... 0Chrg.html

I've used a similar setup for years, including a Sunguard voltage controller, and really like it. I leave the batteries on board over the winter and it keeps them trickle-charged.

Best regards,
Carter
bottomscraper

Post by bottomscraper »

We have had a flexible solar panel that has lasted since Y2K. It still works. It is a Unisolar brand, not sure if they make small
panels anymore :cry:
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
GeorgeV

Solar Panels

Post by GeorgeV »

The Sunsei are good panels but are a bit fragile so be sure to get the mounting bracket and they need to be mounted away from where you might step on them.

I have 2 of the 1500's and they work well. Carter's suggestion is a good one and I would also recommend the DURAlite brand panels from Defender. They can be walked on, are somewhat flexible, very durable and a little more expensive but I think that given their durability it is worth the extra price.

Good Luck
Last edited by GeorgeV on May 12th, '09, 16:16, edited 1 time in total.
GeorgeV
s/v: Peace and Quiet
Tayana 37
Essex, CT
http://sailingonisabelle.yolasite.com/
Roy J.
Location: The fleet: Auburn CD-25, CD-28 #255 as yet unnamed Marblehead MA

Remove it while on the boat

Post by Roy J. »

I have had a 5 watt rigid panel for 5 years. Since I mostly day sail, when I depart the boat, I leave the panel on the cockpit bench with the wire held down closely by the locker lid. Before getting underway, I remove it and place it securely in the locker. The panel provides trickle charging while I am away, and is kept out of the way while sailing. The 5 watt rigid panels are a little cheaper, and they provide only a trickle charge, so I am pretty certain they do not require a regulator. The flexible type fixed to the boom w bungees could work the same way. I am trying to avoid hanging things off my rail -- I don't like the look of it on such a small boat.
Roy Jacobowitz
Bruce Bett
Member # 1160

Flexable Uni-Solar

Post by Bruce Bett »

Several years ago We got a flexible Uni-Solar panel (a good Michigan product) for Sostenuto (Cape Dory 25 #496). The amorphus semiconductors are only about 50% as efficient as their Crystalline cousins on the other hand the flexible panels have several advantages. First of which is you can step on them all you want. The second is they are light weight and very moveable. When I'm sailing I can set mine in the sun. When I tack and find that the panel is in shadow I can just give it a toss over to the sunny side. Before I got the panel I would have to put my battery on the charger at least once a season. Now I just leave the panel in a sunny place and it trickle charges all day whether I'm sailing or not. In my humble opinion it's the way go.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I have a flexi panel because I figured buying one I would not break, would be a whole lot cheaper than several that I would.

I added 4 small eye straps to the edges of my sea hood. I then tie light line to the corners of the flexi panel. Most of the time it stays centered on the sea hood. I try not to jump around on the hood anyway but if I do step on the panel there is no harm done.

The nicest thing about having the lines on all 4 corners is that I can shift the panel around to keep it out of the shade when I am on the boat. It can be propped or tied just about anywhere the power cord will reach. I always leave at least one line attached so the thing doesn't go off sailing without me.

I have a separately fused power socket that is independent of my battery switch so I can turn off the battery switch but still have the circuit breaker for the solar panel on when I leave the boat.

It does a really nice job of keeping the batteries topped up, Steve.
cbrenton
Cape Dory 33, Hull #75
Newington, New Hampshire

Post by cbrenton »

I have Duralite Solar Panels. They are semi-rigid but can be bent enough to conform to the coach roof. No problems stepping on them. They also protect the deck when I drop winch handles. Have used for 5 years with no problems

Charlie Brenton
"Carol Anne"
CD 33
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

Post by trapper »

I have the small Unisolar flexible panel on Saga. Works great, even with her leak. I was introduced to them by my former boat, CD22. It kept her battery going for years of sitting alone at the dock. I had a hard one but it did not last a season.

They don't make the unisolar anymore. I found new ones on ebay.
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

I have had great results with a 60 watt Kyocera panel and regulator from Hamilton Ferris for eight years. It keeps the batteries charged and we were on a mooring the whole time. I mounted the thing on the stern rail. The regulator keeps the thing topping off the batteries over the winter and they are fine in the spring.

[img]http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x198 ... hooner.jpg[/img]
J. Danicic photo

I think Ferris knows the solar/wind power process and design really well and offer great, simple advice.

Paul
Steve P
Shelter Island, NY

Post by Steve P »

Thanks for the responses. Helpful information.

Steve
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Update -- flex panels

Post by jbenagh »

Well, they appear to last one season. No new charge on my battery so far this year with the flex panel. Looking closely, I noticed each small panel was cracked. It worked OK last week, but today the battery was only at 11.07V and not gaining. Solar panel by itself was 0V...

not sure yet, I may switch over to a higher-rated panel or an alternator. Or just another flex solar panel and be more careful

Jeff