Shipping Charges

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Shipscarver
"SOUL MATE"

Shipping Charges

Post by Shipscarver »

I have gotten used to over pricing when it comes to marine products. But, outrageous shipping charges still drive me up the wall when combined with the normal overpricing of product.
Jamestown Dist. just racked me $11. to ship a 2 Oz. jar of Tef-Gel. HOLY COW!! Any ideas on how to avoid this type of mugging?
Shipscarver
Sailing the Florida Gulf
Russell

Re: Shipping Charges

Post by Russell »

Shipscarver wrote:I have gotten used to over pricing when it comes to marine products. But, outrageous shipping charges still drive me up the wall when combined with the normal overpricing of product.
Jamestown Dist. just racked me $11. to ship a 2 Oz. jar of Tef-Gel. HOLY COW!! Any ideas on how to avoid this type of mugging?
Thats ridiculous, I just checked and I paid $10 for JD to ship a bunch of fasteners to Puerto Rico last week, and that weight a fair bit more then tef gel. JD lets you choose your shipping option, did you do next day or something? I always go for USPS Priority Mail on small inexpensive things.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Ray Garcia

Free shipping Hamilton Marine

Post by Ray Garcia »

Hamilton Marine is offering free shipping until Monday. But like your parents said "nothing is ever free". You have to spend $100 or more for the free shipping.

If only I could spend less than $100 this time of year.

Use promo code FREESHIP on the shopping cart page if interested.

Just like Defender a good company to buy from. Great customer service.

http://www.hamiltonmarine.com
Shipscarver
"SOUL MATE"

Shipping Charges

Post by Shipscarver »

The $11 to ship a 2 oz. jar of Tef (for which they charged $31, was via UPS Ground (that's 1 week delivery). I really don't know that Tef is worth $21 an oz delivered. But, I do know I ordered without thinking as I punched through without checking the, "HANDLING CHARGE."
Shipscarver
Sailing the Florida Gulf
Marc Theriault

It's depend...

Post by Marc Theriault »

Shipscarver,

The cost may be explain by the product himself. If the product is classify as hasardous, you will pay more for the packaging, because the box will have to meet somes standards.

Marc
Mark Yashinsky
Second Chance

Shipping prices are not linear.

Post by Mark Yashinsky »

UPS and FedEx have a minimum charge, just for shipping a package. Think of it, like getting into a cab, where as soon as you get into the cab, the meter already has a fare on it. From there, the increase of weight (at least for UPS Ground) doe snot change the price by much.
Example, I ship a lot of stuff UPS Ground, between to major cities (same addresses). Just sending any package, the price starts at about $8.50 and thats for 1 lb. BUT, go to 10lbs (10X's) and the price only goes up $2.50, to just over $11. Try jumping to 30lbs, the price does not even double from the 1lb, to $16. And 60lbs for about $22. Carrying the 60 pounder was not fun, though.
How about this example. Was buying something (that I had to get from them!!) and the online place had free shipping once you reach $100. I was well under that, and thought, how much could shipping be. Found out, that adding the shipping charge was within $3 of the $100 minimum. Found something else, that got me just over teh $100 minimum order, which made that item "free".

Dont piecemeal it, and make one big order.
renmihalov

Jamestown shipping charges

Post by renmihalov »

Jamestown has just instituted a frequent user's club for which they charge you $29 a year. I'm told the price is expected to be increased shortly. But among the benefits you receive are free shipping for all of your purchases while you are a member. So essentially, if you make two Jamestown purchases this year, you've about covered the cost of the membership. Alas, their high shipping charges serve as an inducement to grow their frequent user's club.
Rennie Mihalovic
Greenbelt, Md
J D

Post by J D »

My B of A credit card has free shipping for phone and on-line orders. Well so they say anyway. It gives me back around 6 bucks on my shipping charges. If you have a B of A card call them and see if you can get shipping on it. This was an LL Bean card with free shipping and when Bean dropped B of A and went with Barkley bank it left me with card. It helps.