typhoon wkender vs. bullseye

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

kriss

typhoon wkender vs. bullseye

Post by kriss »

1.if you have sailed them, do the boats perform differently on windy days,chop,less windy days?

2.adult cockpit comfortable capacity of each?

3.any idea why 'older'bullseyes cost equal or more than typhoons?

4.if no need for a 'cabin' which would you prefer? why?

5.easier maintenance on either? construction quality?

6.other comments?

thanks.
Jeff D

I have both

Post by Jeff D »

I have both a Bullseye and a CD Typhoon Daysailer model. I sail them on Buzzards and Peconic Bay respectively. They are both great boats comparable in many regards. My comments:

- Build quality on both is very good. There are many BE from the 1950's sailing in NE with only routine care. If I had to pick I would probably say that the BE are more bullet proof - I don't think there is any core to rot, nor common steel backing plates to rust out - but I think either would last forever with some care.

- Cape Cod Shipbuilding is still actively manufacturing and supporting the BE if you need any parts or support. The Cape Dory Board and Rig Rite serve the same purpose for the Typhoon.

- The BE has positive floatation. The Ty Daysailer does, while the Weekender does not.

- The Ty is bigger in every respect which accounts for most of the difference on the water.

- Most Bullseyes are equipped with small self tending jibs and no backstay. They are easy to sail but not many adjustments available.

- While you can put a small outboard on a BE (e.g., a Honda 2) it will drag in the water even when tilted up - not a big deal if you sail off a mooring.

- The BE is not self bailing. It requires a boom tent and some bailing if you take on a big wave (that's why they have floatation). Pretty much the same story with the Ty Daysailer, but the freeboard is higher so you tend to take on less water.

- The higher cost for the BE is a function of several things including: a new replacement costs ~$20k (and 1 year wait), they have a cult following in New England, and there is little to go wrong with age.

- While BE are easy to find in NE they are not widely available elsewhere.

- The comfortable capacity of each is about the same - 3 people.

- The BE has no secure storage. The Ty Daysailer has a little, the Weekender a lot.

I think that it would be hard to go wrong with either boat. My choice would come down to the availability of a good version of either boat.

Jeff
Tom Javor

Post by Tom Javor »

thoughts....

The BE is early fibreglass version of Nat Herreshoff's legendary 12 1/2 (WL measurement). The 12 1/2 was originally designated The Buzzards Bay Boy's Boat - it was a trainer. It has gone on to achieve yacting immortality via restored originals, current production in the original wood or (quoting his son, LFrancis) "frozen snot". Design was also reworked by Joel White into the Haven 12 1/2 - a shallower draft with centerboard. All versions have a large cockpit by today's standards for a 16 ft LOA.

The Typhoon is a great boat - and you may find it a bit roomier in the how the cockpit is set up.

As far as sailing - I live in RI, owned a 1929 Herreshoff S Boat for 15 years, am active at the HerreshoffMuseum (www.Herreshoff.org)
and really like the 12 1/2 - I love its big sister design The Fish Boat,a 16 ft LWL designed a few years later as an adult trainer. But that's another story....

You'll be vry happy with either boat for general sailing - they are both "pedigreed" in their own rights. If your interests run to some one design racing the BE might be a better choice, I think(not positive ) they are accepted for one design competition with all the other versions of this timeless classic.

Given the two choices I would go with the BE - but I'll admit my bias.......
TJ
nprice
Location: Cape Dory Typhoon daysailor, "Pattie B Too" New Meadows River, ME.

Post by nprice »

I haven't sailed a Bullseye but race regularly against one, previously with a Weekender and now Daysailor. The Typhoon is a little bit faster but if you do ever want to race, the BE has a Portsmouth Handicap that makes it a world beater!
I concur with previous comments otherwise.
Nick Price