Can a 35lb CQR be lifted by hand?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

brian w

Can a 35lb CQR be lifted by hand?

Post by brian w »

Hi,

After years of using presumably undersized Danforths, last year we purchased a 35lb CQR at Defender for our cd33. The 35lb is the what's listed for the boat size, and searches on the board seemed to indicate that was the right one.

Those that have seen it, however, think it will be a real struggle to lift without a windlass. We don't have a windlass, and currently don't anchor enough to justify one (zero times last season). It won't be used with an all chain road, but rather a West setup that's mostly rope, and maybe 20 feet of chain. It seemed foolish to get an anchor smaller than what it's rated for, but if it is indeed too big to wrestle, well I guess that's a problem too. Thought I'd ask if the concern was warranted.

Thanks,

Brian
CD 33

-also haven't figured out how best to mount it. presumably locking it down on the roller, and adding a hawsepipe to the anchor well. I'd certainly welcome suggestions/pictures of similar setups.
eb1smith
s/v Larissa

Yes.

Post by eb1smith »

I have a CD-31 with a 35 lb CQR, all chain rode and no windlass. I can lift the anchor without the windlass but it is a workout, i.e. a nice way to get the blood pumping in the morning. I am younger, in my 40's, and not in to bad of shape, I workout occasionally. So I guess age and physical fitness would also be a part of the equation.

I do have a windlass that I would like to put on the boat, but I am just too lazy and would rather be sailing.

Cheers,

Eric
S/V Necessity
Columbia, MO

yes, and....

Post by S/V Necessity »

The topic has somewhat been covered in a related thread fwiw.

http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic ... highlight=

My two cents would be, "sure you probably can, just make sure you have a roller" Of course as with most things, there is only one way to know for sure ;)
sharkbait

Post by sharkbait »

Well I am 72 years old and I lift mine; it has 30 feet of chain.
Have A Nice Day
Rebinva

Well, I can't top Sharkbait, but

Post by Rebinva »

I am 66 and lift mine, with 25 feet of chain.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I started the old thread and wet ahead and put 90 FT of 5/16 chain on my 35 Lb CQR. I anchored in 20FT yesterday and got a chance to pull the thing up. I am in pretty good shape and in my mid fifties if that means anything. The big difference from the nylon and short chain was that the strain came on more gradually and it was harder to tell when the anchor broke free. It was really nice to have the chain stopper so I could rest whenever I wanted to. (Thanks John V.)

The 35Lb CQR with a short chain is definitely doable. It isn't really fun but does not require Herculean effort.

Raven looked really odd with the anchor rode running straight down but I suppose I will get used to that, Steve.
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

I have the 35# CQR w/ 50ft of chain on our 33 and no windlass. I pull it up no trouble but I do take care to think about how I am using my back. I like to either sit down and brace my legs against the pulpit or put my torso on the top of the pulpit and use my arms with no back strain straight up. Nice to have two folks but if you let the boat come up it works fine.

I used to stow it in the locker when on the mooring all season which was not fun to manage so now I just tie up to the bow roller and tie the shaft back to the aft pulpit base. It is hard to manage, and for serious cruising I would find another roller and pin option as the stock set up is good looking but not the best workable solution. I'll tell you though, I never worry when that thing is down, set and all its chain is laying out on the bottom. It tends not to move and I like that, it is worth some manual labour I reckon.

Paul
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Brian,

Not trying to start something here but just curious on why you went with the CQR for a new anchor, especially if weight is a factor. There are many newer designs (such as the Rocna or Manson Supreme) which fair much better in tests having greater holding power and less weight. Have you written off the newer designs for some reason?

Joe
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Breault5

Rocna???

Post by Breault5 »

I've been considering purchasing a new anchor and the Rocna sounds like the one. Does anyone have any experience with these anchors? My cd30 has a 25lb. inadequate wannabe CQR and I was wondering if the 22lb. Rocna would be sufficient vs stepping up to the 33lb Rocna. My concern with stepping up to the 33lb is the effort with pulling it up after it get buried, as I have no windlass either.
SeaBelle
Sea Belle
Hail port: Rockland, ME

Breaking free

Post by SeaBelle »

Worried about whether you're strong enough to break free a burried anchor?

Just haul on the rode until it's vertical; if it doesn't break free, secure the rode, return to the cockpit and slowly motor over it. It will free up and you can haul the remaining rode.
Sail on,
Jack
CD28 Sea Belle
Hailport - Rockland, ME

There are old sailors and bold sailors, but there are no old, bold sailors.

Reef early and often. It's easier to shake out a reef when one is bored than it is to tuck one in when one is scared.

When your only tool is a hammer, all your problems look like nails.
rtbates

windlass is NOT necessary

Post by rtbates »

A few years past I injured my right shoulder during a long stay anchored. Needless to say my 25lb bruce was dug in rather well. My wife is 4'11" and I don't like her having to do the heavy lifting on board. So what to do since I knew with my bum shoulder I couldn't heave the anchor up in the usual manner. I ran the anchor rode from the anchor locker back to my port jib ST winch. I then asked my wife to go forward to release the anchor rode from the bow cleat. Once that was done I started the motor and idle forward as I used the sheet winch to take up the slack. when the chain reached the winch I still had the anchor hanging down off the bow roller but off the bottom, we have 30 feet of chain. Once out of the anchorage I went forward and attached a spare line to the chain and ran it back to the starboard sheet winch. I then used it to pull the anchor up and into the roller. All done except stowing the rode/chain. We don't need no stinking windlass, haha! One benifit I found from leaving the anchor hung off the bow and under water as we motored out was once it got to the roller it was clean as a whistle..I now do this after pulling the anchor. Much better than mud on the fore deck...

This could be done with any size anchor provided you use the vessels motor to move forward till all slack is taken in and then cleat off and use the vessels considerable mass to break the anchor free. All the winch is required to so is take up the slack. With all chain it can also be done, alibet slower, as the line that gets attached to the chain would need to be moved forward each time it reaches the winch. Use two lines, one to each winch and simply alternate side to side.
Randy 25D Seraph #161
The Patriot

Re: Can a 35lb CQR be lifted by hand?

Post by The Patriot »

brian w wrote: ... last year we purchased a 35lb CQR at Defender for our cd33 ... a real struggle to lift without a windlass [?] ...
Like others writers here, I have a 35 CQR on 60 feet of 5/16" chain (plus a load of 3 strand). I am in the same box with others when it comes to age and lack of sufficient physical conditioning. My CD 28 has no windlass.

Hauling gear in windy or rough conditions can be a bit onerous at times, but it seems a small price compared to the added security of heavier gear. An additional factor in your case is the added size of the 33 footer compared to my 28 when hauling gear single-handed, but there are a few tricks that one adds to the mix with time and practice. Also worth considering is that a windlass is a double-edged sword. It takes a bit of doing to install, wire, and maintain, and in some cases it means that hauling gear is sometimes slower and more involved, for example if you only want to move a short distance for technical or other reasons.

I would say that the net gain outweighs the additional effort. Remember also that you can recover during the sound sleep that heavier anchors can provide.
Troy Scott

the dinghy?

Post by Troy Scott »

Paul,

Thanks for the nice photo! Please tell us about that dinghy.
Regards,
Troy Scott
brian w

Thank you

Post by brian w »

Thank you all for the very helpful replies. It seemed like it would be doable, but I feel better knowing in advance of the first time I tried to haul it up. And as Kerry said, the heavier anchor will let you sleep a lot better - I already have trouble sleeping at anchor, constantly worrying if we're dragging, swinging too wide in a crowded anchorage... sometimes quite irrationally. so hopefully this will help.

Joe, regarding other designs, for months I labored over the decision, searching through the archives on the topic, reading reviews, etc. It seemed as if the CQR was something of a tried and true design, as well as it's the anchor I most often see on rollers around here. The whole season had gone by and I hadn't made a decision, so when driving through New London, decided to just stop at Defender and pull the trigger. I hadn't even factored the weight until I got home and heard "you really think you can haul that?" I thought I could, but then I once thought I could scrape the prop employing a snorkel attached to a section of (new) bilge hose, and that didn't work out too well, so I figured I'd be better off asking in advance.

Thank you again to everyone for the input.

Best regards,

Brian
Steve Laume

Re: windlass is NOT necessary

Post by Steve Laume »

rtbates wrote: when the chain reached the winch I still had the anchor hanging down off the bow roller but off the bottom, we have 30 feet of chain. Once out of the anchorage I went forward and attached a spare line to the chain and ran it back to the starboard sheet winch. I then used it to pull the anchor up and into the roller. All done except stowing the rode/chain. We don't need no stinking windlass, haha! One benifit I found from leaving the anchor hung off the bow and under water as we motored out was once it got to the roller it was clean as a whistle..I now do this after pulling the anchor.

That situation always scares the bejeezus outta me. If I have to move while there is still a significant amount of rode out I always imagine the worst. It seems like trolling for disaster in the form of another rode, shallow spot or some abandon gear. Does anyone else worry as much as I do about this scenario?

I always try not to move too much unless I can see the anchor just below the water surface, Steve.