A plumbing Question

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

A plumbing Question

Post by Sea Hunt »

If anyone questions that sometimes I live a pathetically dull life, one need only read this post that I have drafted at almost midnight on a week night. :cry: :cry: :cry:

I was reviewing my notes about a CD 25D that I had looked at some time ago. I saw an interesting plumbing arrangement that I do not believe I had seen before and which seemed unusual to me. I preface my question with the important observations that I am pretty dumb (read "very dumb"), I do not understand much about sailboats and even less about plumbing systems on sailboats. "Bucket and chuck it" is my motto. With the above understandings, here is the scenario and my questions.

From what I can recall and from looking at my notes, the waste water line went from the marine head located in the forward "v berth" area back along the port side cabin (through/under the port side settee) and the "galley" section, to the holding tank. The loop with a vent near the head that I have seen on other sailboats (including CD 25Ds) had been removed. There was a "T" in the line above the holding tank that was located just below/forward of the Yanmar (where I have always seen it on other CD 25Ds), as well as what was a type of "Y" valve below the "T" in the line. The overboard discharge line from the holding tank to the overboard discharge fitting had been removed and what had been the overboard fitting was "capped". The owner explained that if you were out in the middle of the ocean and wanted to discharge waste water overboard you used the bilge pump lever for this purpose. The "Y valve" was configured in such a way that the bilge pump hose going to the bilge could be blocked off from the bilge (using the "Y" valve) and the hose used to suction waste water, etc. out through the aft end of the bilge hose. If this is not clear, it is because I am not explaining it well. It was confusing when I saw it and is confusing to me today.

It is also VERY possible I have not accurately explained the plumbing configuration. Like I said, I am pretty dumb. However, I am reasonably sure that the bilge pump lever located on the port side aft section of the cockpit (and a section of bilge hose) is used to pump overboard the waste water tank through the bilge hose. I am also pretty sure that the "Y" valve, if properly positioned, closes off the bilge line so that waste water does not go down into the bilge.

So, my questions. How common or uncommon is this configuration, that is, using the bilge lever and a section of bilge hose to manually pump overboard the holding tank :?: Assuming I have reasonably accurately described the plumbing, are there any safety or olfactory issues to be concerned about :?: I have always assumed a bilge pump lever and bilge hose should be dedicated to one purpose and one purpose only - pumping water out of the bilge. Can the bilge pump lever and a portion of the bilge pump hose safely do double duty :?:

Thanks in advance for any and all comments. And yes, I will try to get a life :(
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Trawler Joe

Unusual plumbing

Post by Trawler Joe »

Hi Sea Hunt,
Stinkpotter here -- I have a CD 28 Trawler. I don't really know anything about the typical plumbing configuration of a typhoon, but your post caught my attention because I'm currently replacing sanitation hoses.

On our trawler, waste goes directly from the head to the tank. From the tank, there's a "T", where one hose goes to the pumpout fitting, and one goes to a manual pump, vented loop, and thru-hull. I'm replacing the line from the head to the tank, and removing the rest completely. I'll never use the overboard, and I plan to use the thru-hull for a washdown pump.

I'm in my 4th year with this boat, and have never used the overboard pump. That said, there was some nasty foul stuff in that line (and pump) when I disconnecting fittings. My guess is that it is difficult to completely flush that line. So no, I would not be comfortable using the bilge pump for waste, at least for cleanliness reasons. For safety, I'd prefer the bilge pump and hose be dedicated to removing bilge water, but it might be ok as long as you have it locked in the right position.

Joe
CruiseAlong
Seaford, VA

Actually...yes

Post by CruiseAlong »

What you have described is a direct waste line from the head to the holding tank with no other connections to the line except the head and holding tank. That is inclusive of a vent loop which is only required if you were connecting that line to a through hull fitting to prevent siphoning.

Your second comments center on a separate hose which is used to pump out the holding tank via the deck mounted waste removal fitting. I would assume this is the fitting which has been capped off and now this hose leads to a Y valve which can connect the manual bilge pump inlet to the holding tank or bilge. The possible and likely problem with this configuration is the waste matter which may remain between the Y valve and the bilge pump and if not completely removed it could back stream odor or waste into the bilge should the Y valve position be selected back to the bilge after dumping waste. Manual diaphram pumps are used to waste pumping but usually associated with dedicated service rather than combining them with bilge service. That is the only problem here.
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Cruise Along:

I was not clear. Sorry. Like I said, I am pretty dumb.

What is "capped off" is the overboard discharge. It is located in (thru) the hull and is just to starboard of the holding tank. The thru hull is still in place. As I understood it, the owner "capped" the thru hull fitting with a metal screw on cap. Overboard discharge now goes from the holding tank thru the bilge hose plumbing.

Trawler Joe:

This is not plumbing for a Typhoon Weekender. I happened to look at a CD 25D many weeks ago and was reviewing my notes last night and the question came up in my mind.

I think I am going to go to club today and apply the first coat of varnish to the toe rails and rub rails. Hopefully, that will not require too much brain power. I do not have much left.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
rtbates

Post by rtbates »

Seahunt:

My 25D is similar. The head discharge goes 100% to the holding tank as you describe. No other route. The holding tank discharge goes via a Y valve to either the pumpout fitting in the cockpit floor or to a manual pump located in the port locker. The output of this pump shares the stern discharge fitting for the manual bilge pump via Y valve. Other than using a seperate pump from the manual bilge pump the two setups sound very similar.
Randy 25D Seraph #161
Trawler Joe

CD25

Post by Trawler Joe »

Ah, yes, sorry -- I didn't read carefully enough about the boat model, just saw Typhoon in your profile.

Anyway, my concern is same as CruiseAlong's -- potential for back stream of odor or waste into the bilge.