bimini construction questions

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

mahalocd36

bimini construction questions

Post by mahalocd36 »

Hi,

I'm making a replacement bimini for Mahalo. I had added a window to our current bimini, which is great for checking the mainsail and the wind indicator at the mast top, but we found it useful to have a cover for it while on the hook. On our current bimini, I had attached it with those plastic-twisty things, and I really don't like it - too bulky and klunky looking. It is functional though. Anyone have any other ideas or like their bimini window cover or one they've seen?
I could attach it to one side and then roll it up but then you've got to tie it, and how do you attach the other side when you want it?
Rich suggested 2 zippers. Thoughts?

Second question: I'm making a detachable shade that you can hang on one side or the other while on the hook to block the sun that's invariablely in your face during cocktail hour. Sailrite has a fabric called "sunbrella shade" that looks useful for this purpose. I still want to see through it. Anyone use this or have other suggestions?

Third question. Our bimini extends back past the backstay. To do this, there's a hole which the backstay goes through. When it rains, it dumps rain on the helmsman. I was thinking of doing some sort of fabric with elastic inserted in there to minimize this. Anyone done that or seen it done, or just move to the side :-) ?
The hole needs to be somewhat large to facilitate folding the bimini up, as it has to slide up the backstay as you roll up the bimini.

Thanks,
Melissa
Melissa Abato
www.sailmahalo.com
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Velcro and Velcro

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Melissa,

Question #1:
Attach the window cover on one end. Velcro on other three sides. When cover is rolled up, secure the roll with velcro ties.

Question #2:
Duh. Haven't a clue. :?:

Question #3:
Make a diverter patch large enough to act as a shingle atop of the hole for the stay. Something like a boot around a mast when it passes through a cabin roof or deck. Attach the patch with velcro to the bimini and around the stay.

I dunno. Just some wild and crazy thoughts which flashed across my mind as I read your post.

Good luck,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Judith

Re: bimini construction questions

Post by Judith »

mahalocd36 wrote: Second question: I'm making a detachable shade that you can hang on one side or the other while on the hook to block the sun that's invariablely in your face during cocktail hour. Sailrite has a fabric called "sunbrella shade" that looks useful for this purpose. I still want to see through it. Anyone use this or have other suggestions?

Thanks,
Melissa
We had a mysterious white sorta-mesh panel that came with our boat--couldn't figure out for the longest time what it was for (weathercloth for high seas/rain?). Then Warren had an "A-HAH!" moment as we cruised on a LONG leg home, baking under the sun that angled under the bimini. Instant relief! Plus it's sort of translucent, i.e., you can see other vessels, to a reasonable extent.

I ordered some Phifertex from Sailrite to make draining pockets on a lifeline weathercloth; the new stuff's here at my house, and the panel is on the boat. But I'm pretty certain they're the same stuff.

Panel construction: three common-sense fasteners on top connect to the lower edge of bimini, the bottom edge has three corresponding grommets, allowing it to be bungee'd OUT to stanchions/lifeline, leaving room to operate the winch.

Cheers,
Judith
To unpathed waters, undreamed shores.
The Winter’s Tale. Act iv. Sc. 4.
Warren S

Cape Dory 270 Hull #5

Washington, NC

Adding to Judith (again :-) )

Post by Warren S »

What ever this material is, it most definitely will meet your Question #2 needs. This stuff is awesome in allowing complete visibility for navigation while literally producing almost total shade. We will let you know once we confirm the commercial name of the material.
"Being hove to in a long gale is the most boring way of being terrified I know." -Donald Hamilton
Solmar
Robinhood 36
Wolfeboro, NH

Solmar's Bimini Window

Post by Solmar »

Hi Melissa,

I happen to have the bimini at home, need to replace the window. It has a hole in it which drips on Brian's head. :)

The window is 25"W x 19"D. Velcro on three sides to secure when closed. When rolled up it is secured by snaps. Snaps are 7" apart and are just attached to the cover, not the bimini. This way you can get a finger underneath to secure the snaps when rolled up. If you like this design and have more questions, let me know.
Debbie

mahalocd36

Re: Adding to Judith (again :-) )

Post by mahalocd36 »

Warren S wrote:What ever this material is, it most definitely will meet your Question #2 needs. This stuff is awesome in allowing complete visibility for navigation while literally producing almost total shade. We will let you know once we confirm the commercial name of the material.
I do have some phifertex . It's somewhat stiff, which is good for sheetbags. This "sunbrella shadow" looks like it's about the same weave but not with that plastic coating, so it's softer - I think. So I'm not sure which is better.

Just looked again at sailrite and noticed that you can get samples. Also, they loan out their huge sample book for just the cost of shipping (provided you return it, of course). Way cool.
Melissa Abato
www.sailmahalo.com
rtbates

Post by rtbates »

I made zip on side shades for our bimini out of window UV shade available from Home Depot. I also used it on the underside of the top opening. It's sewn together with the eisenglass on top. Provides shade through the opening and there's nothing to mess with.
Randy 25D Seraph #161
mahalocd36

Post by mahalocd36 »

rtbates wrote:I made zip on side shades for our bimini out of window UV shade available from Home Depot. I also used it on the underside of the top opening. It's sewn together with the eisenglass on top. Provides shade through the opening and there's nothing to mess with.
Randy, can you be more specific as to what this product is? More details?

I was also considering "smoked" strataglass for the bimini window but you need to buy a whole sheet of it, and it's expensive.

Melissa
Melissa Abato
www.sailmahalo.com
rtbates

Post by rtbates »

mahalocd36 wrote:
rtbates wrote:I made zip on side shades for our bimini out of window UV shade available from Home Depot. I also used it on the underside of the top opening. It's sewn together with the eisenglass on top. Provides shade through the opening and there's nothing to mess with.
Randy, can you be more specific as to what this product is? More details?

I was also considering "smoked" strataglass for the bimini window but you need to buy a whole sheet of it, and it's expensive.

Melissa
It's from Home Depot and it's for window screens. It comes in 3 foot widths. They have several versions that provide different amounts of shade. The one I got has the most shade and UV blockage. It's dark gray, almost black..

good luck
Randy 25D Seraph #161
Zeida Cecilia-Mendez

More Dodgers & Biminis

Post by Zeida Cecilia-Mendez »

This is Bandolera II, a CD-33 with her side panels to help with the killer So. Florida sun and late evening no-seems... couldn't live without them! Love the dodger, the bimini, side panels!

[imgImage

[/imgImage

[imgImage

[/imgImage

[imgImage[/img]

[imgImage
[/imgImage
Zeida
Zeida Cecilia-Mendez

More Dodgers & Biminis

This is Bandolera II with her dodger, bimini and side panels to help with the killer Florida sun and late day no-seems... my side panels are zipped on to the bimini and they could also be rolled up and held with the plastic straps. Most of the times, I just unzip them and keep them inside while sailling. At anchor, they are priceless.

[imgImage

[imgImage

[imgImage

[imgImage

[imgImage

[imgImage[/img]
Zeida
Zeida Cecilia-Mendez

SORRY Double Posting!

Clicked submit too fast and it went twice. Sorry!
Zeida