Cape Dory Typhoon - head and cupholders

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Stephen Howard
Location: "Grawich", 1978 Typhoon Weekender, Lake Sunapee, NH.

Cape Dory Typhoon - head and cupholders

Post by Stephen Howard »

I'm looking for advice on a suitable portable head and sources of teak cupholders and racks for my Typhoon.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

You can get teak cupholders and racks from just about any chandlery, including the big online/mail order marine stores like Defender, West Marine, Jamestown Distributors, Go2Marine, binnacle.com, etc. Most of the teak accessories are made by AFI, a division of Marinco. Just do a Google search on "AFI teak cup holder".

Edson also makes combo teak/stainless cup/binoculars holders and tables to fit their pedestals, but they can be bulkhead-mounted as well.

http://www.edsonmarine.com/marinestore/ ... 97_172_284

You can also try Thai Teak:

http://www.thaiteakmarine.com/catalog/

Hope somebody gets back to you with info about an appropriate head.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Stephen Howard

Thyphoon Teak Cupholders

Post by Stephen Howard »

Thanks, will check out your suggestions.
Dick Villamil

Typhoon Porta Potty

Post by Dick Villamil »

I purchased the Porta Potty from West Marine - just make sure that the height fits under the cabin boards that cover the space where the porta potty fits. I found only one brand that fit in this spot but cannot remember it and will get the brand and model for you soon. If you want to install a mast support that sits on the cabin sole the location for the porta potty may change. I am designing my mast support at this time to see if I can have the best option while leeping the porta potty in the covered space aft of the removable vertical board that supports the bunk boards. It is a tight fit but will work. Since I use the boat primarily for daysailing I still haven't used the porta potty but it is available when and if I need it!
Stephen Howard

Typhoon Porta Potty

Post by Stephen Howard »

Thanks very much for the info. Would very much appreciate the brand and model of porta potty you bought when you have a chance.

You mentioned your installing a mast support. What is the reason for this? Anything I should be checking on my boat?
Dick Villamil

Ty Porta Potty

Post by Dick Villamil »

Yes - the mast support that I am considering was described in a previous post on this board - it entails extending a stainless tube from beneath the mast in the cabin to either the hull under the cabin liner or to a support block on the cabin deck or as what I am thinking of doing - to the forward bulkhead of the Porta Potty area. This will allow the continued use of a Porta Potty but will require notching the drop board that covers the Porta Potty area. I will make a new drop board so as not to damage the original. The mast support is required on the older Typhoons because the compression form the mast due to tightening the rigging - causes the cabin/deck to sag - opening up stress cracks between the cabin/deck area and also causing the rig to lose tension as the season progresses. Many have not noticed this problem since they have not opertightened the rigging. If you query Typhoon Mast Support or Compression Post you should find a lot of discussion about this important structural unit.
bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

Compact potty

Post by bhartley »

Our Typhoon had a stainless compression post and did not have any of the drop board or the lid for the potty "area" when we bought her. I bought a Passport Potty at Walmart 8L Model #6001 in the camping department. (I only know this because I just found the box under my desk.)

The great thing about this porta-potty is its size. It is small enough to tuck in the quarter berth which gets it out of the way and discourages people from using it! When needed, it fit just fine in front of the compression post. Capacity seemed about the same as our larger one.

I don't know if this model is stocked everywhere, but it was quite satisfactory.

Bly
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

I'm going to be on a mooring and have camped alot so I'm just planning on using a bucket. They make a toilet seat that fits a 5 or 3 gallon bucket top and sell a material that gels when it gets wet. Just throw a thick plastic bag in the bucket, do your business tie the bag up and voila! I have a large waterproof bag that I will store the bags in until it can be thrown out. Not for the faint hearted but I can't see rowing in with the porta pottie tank and finding a place to dump it.
bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

Something tells my Mark isn't sharing

Post by bhartley »

his boat with a woman!
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

Suprisingly I'm Married (17 yrs). Wife loves the boat. I don't think I've mentioned about the bucket yet thou... Hey honey I forgot to tell you something...
Dick Villamil

Typhoon Porta Potty

Post by Dick Villamil »

The only Porta Potty I could find that would fit under the bunk board covering the area aft of the mast in the cabin was the SaniPottie. It is on sale at West Marine in the latest circular page 25 (April) for $59.99 - a discount of $20 over list price.