Fenix completes circumnavigation

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

fenixrises

Some responses

Post by fenixrises »

Hi all,

bill2 wrote:
Now - have you thought about the book that you'll be authoring ? I'd be honored if you would put me down for a copy
Writing a book is a lot of work. So no book about my trip in the future for me, as of now anyway.

Shipscarver wrote:
Are you having an "open house" on the Sun Coast?
Any and all are welcome to come and visit me and Fenix. Be a real good idea to set up a firm time and date by e-mail/phone before.

Joe CD30MS wrote:
What are the plans down the road? Stay on the hard for a while?
Very definite plans, I'll let you know about them as they develop here in the near future. And yes on the hard for a bit, staying with my niece down here in the Tampa area.

Dixon Hemphill wrote:
Oh to be 30 years younger and single so I could possibly consider such a trip!
Dixon, while I was coming down the South African coast I heard a guy on the radio talking to Roy and Alister from out in the south Indian Ocean. He was doing a single handed non-stop circumnavigation aboard a 30' boat and nearing the west coast of Australia. He is 82. I met many 60~70 year old people still actively cruising. Al Lien was another fine example.

Thanks again for the kudos one and all.

Take care,
Fred

PS I have updated the website again and am now adding video files. Those files are not all uploaded but will be in the next few days. Some great shots of Fenix zooming along in the South Atlantic on three consecutive 150 mile days.
You should always have an odd number of holes in your boat!
John Nebilak

Congratulations

Post by John Nebilak »

I have followed your trip for a couple of years now and think it is one of the best chronicles of a sea adventure I have seen. Some of the later video clips do not play though and I was wondering if others have been having the same problem. I have watched the ones that do play over and over.

Best Wishes
John
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Hello Fred:

I join all the others in offering heartfelt congratulations. I believe we are about the same age and I am in genuine awe of your accomplishments. My dream is to maybe, maybe someday sail to Bimini or Key West. Your circumnavigation is (and will be) the stuff of Cape Dory legend.

I know you said "no" to writing a book. A thought to consider. Your website chronicles plus your CDSOA website posts are the substantial building blocks for a book. You have already written most of it and could, I assume (I am a computer idiot :roll: ) somehow copy or extract your posts (those on your website and those on this website), mesh them together and create one helluva interesting read. I have read 95% of your posts and would absolutely buy and read the book.

If I have occasion to travel to Tampa/St. Petersburg in the next few months (and if S/V Fenix is not already sold and you are not off on another adventure) I would be very grateful to be allowed a brief "inspection". In exchange, all the Guinness or Dark and Stormies you may want. :)

Well done. Uurrahh :!:
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Sea Witch

Congratulations!!

Post by Sea Witch »

Congratulations Fred!! I think we all feel the same: you are a courageous man and an inspiration to us all. It takes a certain amount of courage to accomplish a circumnavigation, but for many of us it takes more just to take it all into your own hands and cast off in the first place. You did it, and we're all better for it.
Ron
j2sailor

Congrats!

Post by j2sailor »

Well done, my man!

Best always - J
John R.
Florida

Post by John R. »

Fred ....

Welcome back to Florida.

A sincere congratulations to you in your acheivement and a salute to your individual courage.
KDreese
Hingham, MA

Amazing

Post by KDreese »

Congratulations Fred and welcome back! Simply amazing!
"Life begins at 2 knots."