CD25D deck construction

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Tom Javor

CD25D deck construction

Post by Tom Javor »

Hello all,

I've looked at a 25D that has signs of water entering around the screws which pass through the toerail and fasten it to the deck. I realize it is not an insignificant job to remove, overdrill, fill, rebed and refasten the toerails. From the limited amount that I can see it appears that the entire rail is screwed, not bolted, in place - is this correct?

An additional concern that I have with this water issue is potential/probable infltration into the deck core. I'm a newcomer to fiberglas boats so I'm unsure how close the balsa coring extends to the edge of the deck. Does it generally go all the way to the edge or is there a margin of solid 'glas around the perimeter? If there is some sort of solid perimeter it makes ths look like a big project instead of a possible nightmare.

Thanks for your input.
TJ
bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

Water

Post by bhartley »

Are you sure that it's the toe rail? The stanchions on our 25D (and another we looked at ) were leaking terribly leaving streaks all along the wooden ceiling (ash strips). Rebedding the stanchions took care of the problem. I would sure try that route before the entire toe rail. There isn't core in this area either way.

Our SS23 did have leaks under the toerail. The genoa tracks were 90% of the problem. Since the toe rail had never been rebedded, it came up relatively easily once all the screws were out. Filled all of the holes with thickened epoxy, redrilled, rebedded, reinstalled. Now dry. We were very fortunate to have the toe rails come up in one piece with no issues.
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Yep, check those stanchions

Post by Joe Myerson »

I'm getting some of those streaks now, and I know it's from the stanchions. Means lots of fun work in the next month and a half--but it's a lot better than replacing toe rails.

Not to sound like a broken record, but before plunking down cash for that 25D, you should probably get it surveyed.

Just my 2 cents' worth.

Good luck, they're great boats!

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Tom Javor

survey

Post by Tom Javor »

Most definitely any offer would be contingent on survey.

My goal at this point is to avoid survey costs if there is an obvious problem going that could lead to water trouble. Since the water seems to be coming in via multiple screw fasteners in an area about 18 inches long in the same locationon both port and stbd I'm still leaning towards the toerail. I would guess the stanchions are through bolted not fastened with screws - am I correct in this?

Hearing that deck core does not go out this close to the edge makes me feel somewhat better about things.

Thanks
TJ
tartansailor

What's Probably Under The Stanchions

Post by tartansailor »

This is what happens when stanchions are not properly bedded.
Man, you do not want to buy that nightmare.
Dick

[img]http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j19/t ... 0_0232.jpg[/img]
rtbates

Post by rtbates »

The problem is usually the two stanchions at the gates. Folks grab these to heave onboard.
Randy 25D Seraph #161