Laptop USB GPS Antenna

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

barfwinkle

Laptop USB GPS Antenna

Post by barfwinkle »

Good Afternoon

Yesdterday while visiting a friend at the Marina, I saw a antenna (USB Laptop) which was really cool. Plug it into your laptop and viola (sp) if you have a navigation program on your laptop, you have GPS positioning.

Does anyone have any specific information concerning a particular USB antenna or experience with using this combonation?

TIA & Fair Winds, oh, and I hope you east coasters/new englanders are surviving the mess. Good Luck

Bill
Bill Member #250.
Solmar
Robinhood 36
Wolfeboro, NH

usb gps antenna

Post by Solmar »

We purchased Maptech Chart Navigator Pro for our laptop a couple of years ago. We went to our local Marine Store to purchase a usb gps antenna and were advised to buy the Delorme Street Atlas Software. It included the antenna for less than the antenna would have been alone. You might want to check it out.

Debbie
J D

Post by J D »

ocean31

It is a cheap way to do chart plotting

Post by ocean31 »

If you want to try chart plotting using a laptop, here is how I did it pretty inexpensively

One used laptop off ebay, system was set up for windows 98 $100.00

One used GPS mouse (that is what those antennas are often called) with 12 channel capability and waterproof, $20.00 ebay with shipping

One DVD or 6 CDs with the entire US on BSB charts and free SeaClear charting program, these have been running about 17.00 lately on ebay. Make sure you get one with the latest corrections. I normally buy one every 6 months to be used at work (I work on tugboats)

Until the tug companies starting putting their own laptops on the boats, I used the above setup for years, I was a cheap easy way to break into electronic charting.

Hope this help.

(Don't you love ebay)

Ocean31
Leonard Lookner

GPS

Post by Leonard Lookner »

You should be aware that most newer computers have USB ports and not serial ports. You can buy an adapter to convert a serial port to a USB port but some navigation systems will not recognize the signal. Check with the manufacturer of your software. I use "Navtech.
GLutzow

Post by GLutzow »

I use a Tablet PC with a USB GPS antenna for both my boat as well as the backup GPS for my aircraft. I find it to be excellent with chart updating to be extremely easy. The tablet PC rather than a laptop is much easier to use for planning and operation because of the pen rather than a touch pad which can be dicey in rough weather.
Greg Lutzow
Nokomis, FL

CD25
"Beau Soleil"
sailing off a mooring in Sarasota Bay

With nothin' but stillness as far as you please
An' the silly mirage stringin' islands an' seas.
lubeckmaine

macENC for macs

Post by lubeckmaine »

if you've got a mac this is it: mac ENC, good program, download charts from NOAA. GPS unit comes with package. Jimmy
CruiseAlong
Seaford, VA

Tried a couple of programs

Post by CruiseAlong »

For the GPS I have used Delorme ($99), Bluetooth Wireless GPS ($39), and handheld gps(s) (Garmin and Magellan) to a PC. The programs I have used are Seaclear II (free), Fugawi Global, Fugawi ENC, and Tiki. Of the GPS's I like the wireless bluetooth. No problems with signal noise, cables, and it works below decks too. Of all of the programs I like Tiki the best because it is straight forward, very stable, automatic GPS recognition, AIS, etc., etc. It also accepts interface with free PC software for handling routes, waypoints, tracks, etc. globally. The latest charts are free from NOAA and you can also have multiple screens of large scale and small scale charts showing your location at the same time. Certainly all of this is a nice way of getting into this technology without the big $'s.
Dana
David VanDenburgh
CD 36, #7
Lake Michigan

GlobalSat - BU-353

Post by David VanDenburgh »

We use the BU-353 USB GPS receiver from GlobalSat. Waterproof. 20-channels. Bought it for $59.95 + $10.00 S/H from GPSnavx.com. Works great with MacBook and GPSnavX software.
David VanDenburgh (the elder)
lubeckmaine

BU-353 USB GPS

Post by lubeckmaine »

This is the unit David the Elder praises that came bundled with GPS/NavX/MacEnc charting program that works well with the MacBook Pro or whatever Mac. Jimmy Buehner
sealark
"Sea Lark"

Laptop Software

Post by sealark »

I purchased the chart software from www.cruisingservices.net recommended above. It arrived yesterday. It seems like a good program. I did not purchase the GPS unit from their website - I purchased it from another site for less than half what they are selling it for - exact same unit. Total investment is less than $60 - not counting the laptop (I have an older one I am using only for boat stuff).

I installed the maps - they are neat. The GPS unit just arrived today. Will attach it this evening and see how it works. It looks like it will be a pretty nice setup - especially for the price.

Possibly going sailing tomorrow - will let everyone know how it works out on the water.
barfwinkle

Laptop Battery

Post by barfwinkle »

I dont remember if it is in this thread or another, but yesterday I tried booting my laptop running thourgh the OEM 5 Amp breaker and it worked fine (without the battery in place).

I then replaced the battery and rebooted. The 5 Amp breaker almost instantly kicked off. That battery draws some power. Who every posted the comment about the battery, Thank you.

Fair Winds and hope we dodge the snow.
Bill Member #250.
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

A dumb question

Post by Joe Myerson »

Hey computer guys (and ladies):

Forgive me if I sound like our esteemed "tadpole" colleague, but I've got a very basic question about using a laptop as a GPS and charting tool:

Do you use these set-ups in your cockpits as chartplotters, or do you keep the laptops down below and use them for route planning?

I'm assuming that you keep them down below. If so, how do you link them to what's in your cockpits.

Sorry for sounding so out of it on this issue.

Thanks,

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Ray Garcia

Post by Ray Garcia »

I keep the laptop down below, using a "Bluetooth" GPS (wireless GPS signal to laptop). I can place the GPS anywhere on the boat with a view to the sky to receive data. A Bluetooth GPS can be bought for about $40. If your laptop does not have Bluetooth, as long as it has a USB connection, a USB Bluetooth adapter can be bought for $20 or less. I like the wireless solution best. Otherwise a USB (wired) GPS will run a wire down to the laptop below if the GPS is topside.

I wrote an article in Jan/Feb Masthead which details the entire setup I use. It is very easy and relatively cheap to put together.