Boaters World going out of business sale

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

gpb102030

Boaters World going out of business sale

Post by gpb102030 »

My boaters world in wilmington NC is having the entire store 10 to 30 percent off. According to the employs the entire chain is on the way out in 8 weeks. The store shelves have never been fuller they are emptying out the warehouses and shipping all the stock to be liquidated. Each week the prices will get lower. I guess i should be compationate but 20 years ago i was offered a job at a boaters world in annapolis MD and the regional manager at all of the interviews keep wanting to but my rolex watch of my wrist i finally told him where to go. So i have never really liked them. Enjoy the deals.
gpb102030
Shipscarver
"SOUL MATE"

Boaters World OOB

Post by Shipscarver »

Are they having the inventory sold off by a liquidator? I went in to the store today and could sware the prices are all higher now than they were a week ago. I was rather put off and took a pass on buying anything. :?
Shipscarver
Sailing the Florida Gulf
jerryaxler

Boater's World

Post by jerryaxler »

I bought Armada wood cover over the weekend and their standard price was the same as West, but I did get a discount that lowered the price by least 10%. .
Fairwinds and following seas,
Jerry Axler
sharkbait

Post by sharkbait »

The store I went in was only offering 10% at the register. Nothing had been discounted on the shelves.
Have A Nice Day
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Liquidator

Post by Joe Myerson »

Boater's World is going to be liquidated through Gordon Brothers. If you aren't getting much of a discount yet, it might be because the final sell-off has yet to start.

Gordon Brothers won the liquidators' auction last week, and they've promised to give the parent company, the bankrupt Ritz Camera, a certain amount of money from the sale to be used to satisfy creditors.

I don't know how that will affect retail prices.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Liquidator

Post by Neil Gordon »

Joe Myerson wrote:Gordon Brothers won the liquidators' auction last week, and they've promised to give the parent company, the bankrupt Ritz Camera, a certain amount of money from the sale to be used to satisfy creditors.

I don't know how that will affect retail prices.
No, they're not related to me.

Remember that the liquidator doesn't work for the consumer and their job is to optimize $$$ for the owners and/or creditors. Their process involves moving inventory not only from the warehouse but from other stores as they begin to close. They also bring in other close out merchandise that's not from the warehouse or other stores, to liquidate that and to keep the shelves full.

As always, buyer beware.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

the little infor about it

Post by winthrop fisher »

three years ago the CEO retired, he was very good at his job.....

but,,,the new CEO ran the company very badly and ran the company into the ground....bankrupsy....

we closed out doors 12, 2008.

and it sucks because over 1100 more people are unemployed,
at least i have been payed for the next six months,

but i work for them for over nine years plus....

so if you need stuff get it now at the store or on line, its going fast......
winthrop
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

that Means West Marine Prices will go up costing you more

Post by winthrop fisher »

that means west marine prices will go up after boaters world gone,

they will be charging higher prices on ever thing,

boat U.S. and west marine and boaters world were the three biggest marine stores in the U.S.

look out west marine is out for your money.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
S/V Necessity
Columbia, MO

West marine prices going up?

Post by S/V Necessity »

That's fine, they are already too expensive for me, so nothings lost! It's the other vendors like Defender that I'd be worried about....
jerryaxler

Boater's world

Post by jerryaxler »

What is happening in the boating supply business is our fault. When we buy solely on price, we lose service, expertise and quality.
I have for many years tried to purchase my supplies from smaller chandleries like Hamiltons, Fawcetts and Defender. You pay a little more, but your not buying from a supplier who limits your choices at best and sells inferior third world supplies at worst.
Fairwinds and following seas,
Jerry Axler
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Privately held suppliers

Post by Joe Myerson »

Jerry,

I agree with you completely.

Defender and Hamilton (I'm not really familiar with Fawcett) are both family-owned enterprises that can afford good customer service because they don't have to keep one eye on the quarterly earnings reports and the other on the stock price.

Defender's prices seem to me to be a bit lower than West Marine's--and their customer service is fantastic. Hamilton also provides wonderful service.

Defender just gave its all its employees a thank-you bonus, for another year of increasing sales volume. I'm not talking AIG-type bonuses, just an old-fashioned token of gratitude from the boss.

IMHO, that's reason enough to buy your supplies from them if you can. (No, I have no interest in these companies, and yes, I often buy from WM, especially if I need something NOW.)

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

I am a rookie, tadpole sailor, who knows very little about sailing and sailboats. Respectfully, I could not agree more with the comments about Defender.

Whenever possible, I have bought from Defender. To date, 100% satisfaction; 0% problems. Customer Service (ordering) - 100%.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Baysailer

Marine business analysis

Post by Baysailer »

Sailing gear is expensive so I fret over every purchase but my experience with the online companies is all good so once I made my choice I move like I'm on a beam tack.

Defender held a last item order until they recieved my check and Stuart Marine (Rhodes manufacturer) sent me stuff before I even paid for it. Other activities could only hope for such service.

There's a local west marine but I've never bought anything from them so I can't comment on them but from their store it looks like they cater to the motorboaters.
Ray Garcia

News release

Post by Ray Garcia »

From "Sailing Anarchy" - http://www.sailinganarchy.com/
Sold!

From IBI News: A bankruptcy court judge in Delaware approved the sale of the assets of Boater’s World, in an order dated March 20.

On March 15, Ritz Camera Centers, the parent company of Boater’s World, entered into a “stalking horseâ€
Troy Scott

big stores

Post by Troy Scott »

Joe and Jerry,

I agree with you about the smaller suppliers. Usually I can get a real, knowledgeable person on the 'phone, and the prices seem reasonable. They also will match prices from other companies.

The internet-only companies are another story. There is no human contact at all, and the only reason to buy from those outfits is price.
Regards,
Troy Scott