Cape Dory 25D Dodger

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

pcschultz
Lake Champlain
Essex, NY

Cape Dory 25D Dodger

Post by pcschultz »

I own a 1988 25D and would like to purchase a dodger (standard or California style). My boat is on Lake Champlain in NY. Any suggestions on where to get one would be appreciated.
barfwinkle

???

Post by barfwinkle »

What is a California style?????
Fair Winds
Bill Member #250.
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

I was happy with our Island nautical dodger I got in '02. I was considering building a Sailrite kit but decided this was an upgrade worth spending for. They were a bit short on the bottom side of the aft flaps so I called them, sent a couple pictures and they happily took it back and added an inch nicely. Since it worked fine, they were happy to take it back after the season to modify it and I got it back well before sailing time the next year and it fits fine. About $1,000 though. But man, up here in the north, it is a real cruising comfort value I reckon.

Paul
Dave Brandt
Rochester, MN

Dodger

Post by Dave Brandt »

We went through somewhat of a fiasco last year trying to buy a dodger from Island Nautical for our CD-25. Some kind of mix up on the patterns. Island Nautical was good about the whole thing, refunded our money, but it cost a season with out a dodger. We ended up building one from a Sailrite kit. Not easy, and Jane is good a sewing. Make sure they have a pattern for a 25D.

Dave
David van den Burgh

Re: ???

Post by David van den Burgh »

barfwinkle wrote:What is a California style?????
Fair Winds
California style has come to describe dodgers that have extra large windows that zip off of the sides and, usually, roll up in the front, leaving a sort of bimini. Because the portions typically used for support are removable, California dodgers have rigid mounts. A lot of the newer boats - e.g., Catalina, Hunter, etc - come with California dodgers.