Varnish

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

SurryMark

Re: Colors?

Post by SurryMark »

Troy Scott wrote: Dick,
Colors? Are you thinking of covering the Cetol with paint?
I'm the one who talked about painting over Cetol, and I'm still thinking hard about it. I painted one side of the boards with primer and then Epifanes paint over old, well-scuffed Cetol, and it looks pretty good - glossy and hard and resistant to rubbing with a block of wood and mild fingernail scuffing. It has not been in the weather yet. Does anyone have contrary experience?

Mark
Mark Baldwin
Surry, Maine
www.borealispress.net
Steve Darwin

Man-O-War

Post by Steve Darwin »

I've settled on Man-O-War varnish, which gives very good results. Flows on better than most and holds up to the weather.

Here's a link to a WoodenBoat forum on the subject:

http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7073

steve
Steve Darwin
CD 25D "Arabella"
Fairhaven, Mass
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Maine Boat Builders' Comments

Post by Joe Myerson »

I'm a Cetol guy myself (no brickbats, please), but I just returned from my annual pilgrimage to the Maine Boat Builders Show.

While touring a magnificent Ellis 36, the representative of the builder (I don't remember his title, but this is a show without plaid-panted salesmen--I think he was yard manager) pointed to the honey-toned woodwork and described it as having "10 coats of Epiphanes varnish."

I also looked at some beautiful sailboats, including one built by Classic Boat Works (it might have been another builder, I honestly can't remember). Once again, I was told that the brightwork was varnished with 10 coats of Epiphanes.

So, FWIW, some of the most knowledgeable guys in the business use that stuff. The woodwork on those boats is beyond beautiful--but 10 coats!!! Not for me, I'd rather be sailing. But if I were to decide to varnish, I'd certainly follow the example of those guys in Maine.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Dalton

I'm going for it

Post by Dalton »

After 13 years the Armada is looking pretty patched and in some areas downright bad. Karen and I have all the brightwork inboard of the rails stripped. We're going to apply 2 coats of West System epoxy then 7 or 8 coats of Epiphanes. We intend to do this under the cover. We'll do the rails and bowsprit after the cover comes off. We bought a great Milwaukee heat gun and 2 Pro Prep scrapers with a variety of blades. It's coming off pretty easily. Just tedious. One person heats and the other scrapes and we both sweep and vacuum constantly. The wood is still beautiful having always been covered with Armada and under a Fairclough cover every winter. Pics to follow.

Greg
Maine Sail

Re: Maine Boat Builders' Comments

Post by Maine Sail »

Joe Myerson wrote:I'm a Cetol guy myself (no brickbats, please), but I just returned from my annual pilgrimage to the Maine Boat Builders Show.

While touring a magnificent Ellis 36, the representative of the builder (I don't remember his title, but this is a show without plaid-panted salesmen--I think he was yard manager) pointed to the honey-toned woodwork and described it as having "10 coats of Epiphanes varnish."

I also looked at some beautiful sailboats, including one built by Classic Boat Works (it might have been another builder, I honestly can't remember). Once again, I was told that the brightwork was varnished with 10 coats of Epiphanes.

So, FWIW, some of the most knowledgeable guys in the business use that stuff. The woodwork on those boats is beyond beautiful--but 10 coats!!! Not for me, I'd rather be sailing. But if I were to decide to varnish, I'd certainly follow the example of those guys in Maine.

--Joe
Joe,

You are spot on with this comment. Maine has some of if not the finest boat builders in the world and more wooden boat builders per than any other state in the nation.

There are basically three products used at the Maine Boat Builders Show. Cetol, Epiphanes and Alwgrip clear (AwlBrite over AwlSpar). There are very few Cetol finishes there and only a smattering of AwlGrip clears (AwlBrite over AwlSpar). Hinckley, Morris, Lyman Morse & Hodgdon Brothers use lots of Epiphanes and these guys are among the finest builders in the world with some of the best reputations to boot...

If you want a very good varnish Epiphanes is a great product..

The vast majority, perhaps 85%, of the boat and woodworking displays there use Epiphanes...
-Maine Sail
CS-36T
Broad Cove, Maine

My Marine How To Articles
Dick Barthel

epiphanes high gloss

Post by Dick Barthel »

Russell wrote:I have not tried every product out there, but have tried a few and I find epiphanes high gloss the best to work with with very attractive results. Its not cheap though. I understand trying to save money, but varnish is one area where going for the "marine" label actually makes a difference, marine/yacht varnish has more UV inhibitors in it then less expensive varnishes sold for other uses. Your brightwork is going to be subject to constant UV and salt water, its worth paying the extra. WIth all the labor involved in refinishing, its worth it to pay the premium and know for sure you will get a good and lasting finish, then to save and experiment only to have a good chance of having to redo it next season.
Here's a second. I have been using it for three years and its marvelous. You don't have to sand in between coats if you don't want too. Its rugged and looks as good a pure varnish.

In New England its another month before the good varnish days begin. Also....its best after she's launced for build up coats...no yard dust! Do a little at a time so you enjoy it. It's relaxing if you approach it that way...sort of like knitting I guess.

By the way the Epifanes web site is a good source for information and I actually sent for a CD three years ago....forgot about that.

Dick
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Varnish

Post by Oswego John »

Anyone,

I have been reading about it and have many times heard others mention this great varnish, Epiphanes. I have never used it before but I am now considering giving it a try.

I realize full well that this question previously came up, maybe a year or so ago. In order to satisfy my errant memory would anyone kindly tell me what the proper pronunciation of Epiphanes is? What syllable is dominant?

Happy springtime to all,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
KVickers

Epifanes

Post by KVickers »

It's pronounced:

Epi as in epicure

fa as in fa-ther (accent on this syllable)

nes as in nestle
...at rest on ocean's brilliant dyes...an image of Elysium lies...(E.A.P 1849)
SurryMark

more on Epifanes

Post by SurryMark »

Epifanes (the way they spell it) also has an exceptional line of paint. The palette is beautiful. It is hard to find good creams, and they have a couple. I have only used the traditional enamel, but there are other formulas that may be even longer-lasting, though the color range is not as large. It ain't cheap.
Mark Baldwin
Surry, Maine
www.borealispress.net
Joe Myerson

Maine Boat Builders' proununciation

Post by Joe Myerson »

Interesting.

At the Boat Builders Show, to a man, they pronounced it:

"EH-pea-fanes," with the accent on the first syllable.

But however you pronounce it, it's gorgeous.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA

--Capt. John Smith, 1627
KVickers

Post by KVickers »

Ah think the cold makes summa ya'll talk funny.

epifanes.com

(207) 354-0804
...at rest on ocean's brilliant dyes...an image of Elysium lies...(E.A.P 1849)
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Which One

Post by Oswego John »

Now I'm really lost.

Is it Epifanes or is it Epiphanes? Maybe both ways are proper?

As Archie says, WHATEVER.

:D
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Troy Scott

That good varnish

Post by Troy Scott »

I believe it's Epifanes, pronounced epi-FAH-nes. But If you like you can just say it in English: epiphanies. Everyone in the marine stores and in the boatyards will understand this, since that seems to be how most folks pronounce the word.
Regards,
Troy Scott
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

I put ten coats of Interlux Goldspar on my old Typhoon in my brother's garage ten years ago whilst listening exclusively to Metallica. I am sure the music made me varnish faster and the result was pretty spectacular and lasted for a long time.

At the Wilderness Camp Menogyn I worked at the last ten years we got a crate of Epiphanes for cheap from Jamestown. It was at the request of my program director who worked at a mostly Chris-Craft restoration yard and used the stuff. We used almost all of it on our wooden canoes and I slapped a few coats on my "Arrogant Boatbuilder" prototype nesting dinghy. After getting used to the application it worked very well and is quite durable. I have to admit that I didn't make it work till I used a foam brush, but then it went on fine.

The campers used it often on the cedarstrip canoes and gunnels of the wood canvas Seligas and Old Towns the camp has had for ages. SO now I am an Epiphanes fan. How can one argue with Morris anyway?

All the best,
Paul
ps, Having said that, I got Cetol on our 33 and it needs more. I kinda don't listen to Metallica much anymore.
Joe Myerson

I phound the culprit--it's me!

Post by Joe Myerson »

Sorry everybody. I injected the dreaded misspelling into this thread. Please phorgive me phor subtituting a "ph" for an "f".

It's epifanes.
Former Commodore, CDSOA

--Capt. John Smith, 1627