CookMate Double Burner Non-Pressurized Recessed Stove

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Chuck K.

CookMate Double Burner Non-Pressurized Recessed Stove

Post by Chuck K. »

Does anybody have any experience with the CookMate brand of stoves? They appear to be similar to the Origo brand in size, description, and operation, but are about $100 cheaper. Granted, I have not seen either brand personally, just going by what I've read and seen online. I am considering a replacement for the old Kenyon flame thrower in my 25D.
sfreihofer

Re: CookMate Double Burner Non-Pressurized Recessed Stove

Post by sfreihofer »

I assume you're talking about Swego.com. I can't answer your question YET. I just ordered one today. From everything I've read, it seems to be a duplicate (dimensions and description are identical) of the Origo at a better price, and the dual unit comes with a free pot holder to boot!

I had to go with the stand-alone, because the dual-unit "drop-in" is too wide for my CD25 shelf... and well, if I want to cook on the deck, or on the beach, it's portable.

To me, it was a no-brainer, but ... that may be equally portentious.

Stan Freihofer
1981 CD 25 #794 Restoration
Ft. Lauderdale
www.ReefRoof.com

Chuck K. wrote:Does anybody have any experience with the CookMate brand of stoves? They appear to be similar to the Origo brand in size, description, and operation, but are about $100 cheaper. Granted, I have not seen either brand personally, just going by what I've read and seen online. I am considering a replacement for the old Kenyon flame thrower in my 25D.
Instant Bubble-head. Just add water.
Chuck K.

Re: CookMate Double Burner Non-Pressurized Recessed Stove

Post by Chuck K. »

Hi Stan,

Yes, I saw it at Swego.com. I thought it looked very similar in all respects. The difference in price made me wonder about a possible difference in quality of construction. I'd appreciate knowing how yours works out after you've had a chance to fire it up. Thanks in advance.

By the way, you've done a very nice job on your "project" 25!

Chuck

[quote="sfreihofer"]I assume you're talking about Swego.com. I can't answer your question YET. I just ordered one today. From everything I've read, it seems to be a duplicate (dimensions and description are identical) of the Origo at a better price, and the dual unit comes with a free pot holder to boot!

I had to go with the stand-alone, because the dual-unit "drop-in" is too wide for my CD25 shelf... and well, if I want to cook on the deck, or on the beach, it's portable.

To me, it was a no-brainer, but ... that may be equally portentious.

Stan Freihofer
1981 CD 25 #794 Restoration
Ft. Lauderdale
www.ReefRoof.com
sfreihofer

Post by sfreihofer »

Hi Chuck;

Unfortunately, I won't be able to give you a comparison because I've never had an Origo, but I'd be happy to share my impressions.

I suspect it's the same stove with a "Bargain Brand" name, but I have no factual knowledge of that. Everything in the specifications are identical, and if you look at the Heat Diffuser accessory, it is also identical to the Origo. So, I ASS-U-ME... (uh-oh, there I go...again!)

Stan
Shipscarver
"SOUL MATE"

Flame thrower pot holders

Post by Shipscarver »

If they seem to be so, "akin," I wonder if I can use their pot holder on my old flame thrower?
Shipscarver
Sailing the Florida Gulf
Chuck K.

Cookmate vs Origo

Post by Chuck K. »

The entire Cookmate line seems similar to the Origo line, (see link below) but the Cookmates seem to be aimed more at the RV market. I'm wondering if they are manufactured by the same company and simply marketed differently. However, I did see somewhere that the Cookmate pot holder would not fit the Origo stove.

http://www.contoure.com/products/pc/Coo ... Stoves.pdf
Jim Buck

CookMate vs. Origo

Post by Jim Buck »

Chuck,

Perhaps you were referring to this when you mention reading about the two but just in case...Practical Sailor's January 2009 issue tests the two CookMates (1600 and 2100) and suggests that the CookMates and Origo are equal. FWIW.
Jim Buck
Member #1004
sfreihofer

Post by sfreihofer »

Chuck,

I received the unit yesterday. It looks solid, well built, well designed, all stainless. If you want photos, let me know.

It does have a label inside that says "Made in China" (Gee, surprise!) so maybe it's the Origo design manufactured in China. In any case, the instruction manual has an address in Sweden, which has been overlaid by a sticker for a company in Sarasota, Fl.

I don't have any regrets, yet... but I haven't fired it up, and won't for about another year... and I have nothing to compare it to, so I can't adequately evaluate it.

Stan
Chuck K.

Cookmate

Post by Chuck K. »

Thanks for the info Stan. I ordered mine last weekend. I'll probably try mine out before you do, so I'll post something when I get it installed and give it a test run.
Troy Scott

CookMate Gimbals?

Post by Troy Scott »

Do they offer a gimbal mount?
Regards,
Troy Scott
Chuck K.

Post by Chuck K. »

Troy,

Yes, they do have gimbal mounts (sold as an accessory) for the portable models. I ordered a recessed model, so no gimbals.

www.swego.com is where I ordered mine.

Chuck
sfreihofer

Post by sfreihofer »

I was able to inspect an Origo 3000 yesterday at the annual Dania Marine Flea Market. It is identical to the Cookmate. I could see no difference in design or materials.

Stan
Chuck K.

Cookmate 4200 installed in a 25D

Post by Chuck K. »

Hi all,

I installed the Cookmate 4200 recessed model on my 25D last weekend. The opening from the old Kenyon had to be enlarged a little, but the Cookmate fits right in there. It is tight, but it fits. I had to open the width along the aft end of the opening all the way back flush to the foam insulation of the ice box, and back toward the trash can opening. If you measure carefully, you will have about 1/8" clearance around the front, forward and back end of the stove, and about an inch on the icebox side, with the stove top down.

I sealed off the foam and exposed plywood core of the counter top with epoxy (2 strips of fiberglass cloth over the foam) before screwing the stove in place. Probably overkill and not necessary, but I had time because I can't launch until May 1 anyway, so I did it.

Besides no flare ups, the biggest difference I noticed in testing the stove was the quiet, compared to the Kenyon. None of that hissing sound, just a nice silent flame. I didn't try to cook anything yet, but the flame looks big enough to do anything the Kenyon did, even if it might take a minute or 2 longer. I'll gladly trade that extra minute or 2 for the safety factor of the non-pressurized burners. The pot holder accessory will be handy too, but it can only be used on the aft burner. The closeness of the counter top fiddle on the fore end (or right side of the stove) prevents the pot holder from fitting.

If anyone wants the old Kenyon for parts and is local enough to come get it, it's yours. I'd rather not get involved with shipping.

Chuck