Northeast fleet gathering dates?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Steve Laume

Northeast fleet gathering dates?

Post by Steve Laume »

We are trying to figure out some scheduling for July. We are wondering if there are any dates set for the July gathering of the Northeast fleet. I don't need any details but just a time frame. Is it likely to be Narragansett Bay? We are thinking of trying to cruise the Cape and islands while attending at least part of the CD event.

Planning ahead is not my strong point, Steve.
Tom Javor

suggestion

Post by Tom Javor »

If it is going to be in Narragansett Bay you might want to consider the Herreshoff Marine Museum in Bristol as a host location. Dockage, moorings, nice waterfront area for meals - they have a tent. Easy walk into town and much lower key atmosphere than Newport.
TJ
Carl Thunberg

Dutch Harbor (Jamestown)

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Steve,

We're holding this year's Rendezvous in Jamestown (Dutch Harbor, actually). The tentative dates are August 2-4, 2009. The Rendezvous is a little later than usual because of the availability of the Wickford Yacht Club. That only gives six days separating the Rendezvous from the Maine Cruise, which isn't ideal, but we can make it work. Sorry I don't have all the details available for you yet. We're still working on it. As soon as I have more to report, I will.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

We need some float-in organizers.....

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Would anyone like to host a float-in in their area?

Float-ins are easy, all you really need to do is pick a date and a location where there's room for several CDs to anchor (the CDs plus whatever other boats might be there). Once everybody gets there, they all pile on a single boat (here's where a raft-up comes in really handy) or raft of boats and get together for a gam session, cocktails, snacks and a potluck dinner. We usually try to schedule a float-in to take place on a Saturday or over a weekend.

So far the Northeast Fleet has float-ins scheduled for
  • Jun 20-21 Casco Bay Float-in -- Harpswell Harbor, ME
    Jul 3-5 July 4th Float-in -- Oyster Bay, NY
    Jul 11 Seal Cove Float-in -- Damariscotta River, ME
    Jul 25 Great Misery Island Float-in -- Salem Sound, Salem, MA
    Aug 9 Maple Juice Cove Float-in -- St. George River, Muscongus Bay, ME
    Sep 25-26 Perry Cove Float-in / Boston Harbor Islands Regatta -- MA
    Oct 3 (tentative) Raritan Bay Float-in -- Atlantic Highlands, NJ

We'd like to see float-ins taking place throughout our territory. So if your sailing waters are on eastern Long Island Sound, Buzzards Bay or Cape Cod/Massachusetts Bays, and you'd like to host a float-in, please let us know. These things can't take place without your help.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay

PS: In addition to the float-ins, there's:
  • Jan 24, 2009 2009 Winter Meeting -- Waterford, CT
    Feb 21 Cabin Fever Lunch -- Dover, NH
    Aug 2-4 (tentative) Rendezvous 2009 -- Narragansett Bay, RI
    Aug 10-14 Maine Cruise -- West Penobscot Bay, ME
Last edited by Cathy Monaghan on Apr 6th, '09, 12:14, edited 1 time in total.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Don't forget the Boston Harbor Island Regatta, on September 26th. Rendezvous at Perry Cove off Peddock's I. on Friday, the 25th.

Weather permitting, the Regatta is a nice figure 8 around the harbor islands and attracts over 100 boats for a relatively casual pursuit race. We've been well represented; the 28s have been racing as a class and the race committee promises to dig up a trophy for any size class that can register three or more boats. Plus, there's a trophy for the first Cape Dory and a permanent plaque for the best average finish by class.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Neil Gordon wrote:Don't forget the Boston Harbor Island Regatta, on September 26th. Rendezvous at Perry Cove off Peddock's I. on Friday, the 25th......
Thanks Neil, it's been added to the 'Fleet Events' page in the 'Northeast Fleet' section.

Cathy
Webmaster - CDSOA, Inc.
Cathy Monaghan

Buzzards Bay sailors...where are you...

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Hey Northeast Fleeters, I know you're out there somewhere. Surely a few of you would like to get together some Saturday this summer. You pick the date. You pick the anchorage. Let me know and I'll add it to our list of Float-ins.

Cathy
Webmaster - CDSOA, Inc.
Carl Thunberg

Misery Island Float-in - Salem Sound - July 25

Post by Carl Thunberg »

News flash. This just in. Jeff Benagh, who has impeccable taste in boats, is organizing a Float-in at Misery Island for July 25, 2009. Anyone around Salem, Marblehead, or Beverly - this one's for you! It's also pretty easy striking distance from Boston or Portsmouth, NH (hint). As soon as we can pull together the event description, we'll get it posted on the CDSOA web-site.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Cathy Monaghan

How about Buzzards Bay?

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Great! I've added Great Misery Island to the list at:
http://www.capedory.org/events.html#NEFleetEvents

We're still looking for someone that would like to put together at Saturday float-in on Buzzards Bay. Anyone?

Cathy
Webmaster-CDSOA, Inc.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Misery Island Float-in - Salem Sound - July 25

Post by Neil Gordon »

Carl Thunberg wrote: Jeff Benagh, who has impeccable taste in boats, is organizing a Float-in at Misery Island for July 25, 2009.
Anyone know the rules about taking dogs ashore? Two labs, one chocolate and one yellow, want to know.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

The Misery Islands are owned by the Trustees of the Reservations. They have a web page for the islands here:

http://www.thetrustees.org/pages/323_misery_islands.cfm

Jeff
Neil Gordon

Post by Neil Gordon »

jbenagh wrote:The Misery Islands are owned by the Trustees of the Reservations. They have a web page for the islands here:

http://www.thetrustees.org/pages/323_misery_islands.cfm

Jeff
Including this rule: "Dogs must be kept on a leash at all times." That's good enough for the girls, as long as the can get ashore.

Thanks, Jeff.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Big E
Salem, MA

Misery Island...

Post by Big E »

Sounds awesome! I would suggest "Blowboat Beach" instead of "Cocktail Cove." Cocktail is usually too crowded with overnighters on the weekends. (Blowboat Beach is the mooring field that faces Baker's Island.) If you need help organizing, let me know...I know a few Cape Dory owners in Salem Harbor.
D Rush

Tall Ships in Boston

Post by D Rush »

Don't forget the Tall Ships are scheduled to visit Boston around July 8th
Denis
Neil Gordon

Re: Tall Ships in Boston

Post by Neil Gordon »

D Rush wrote:Don't forget the Tall Ships are scheduled to visit Boston around July 8th
Yes, the parade into Boston Harbor is July 8th, from 9 AM until 3 PM.

If they stick to prior practice, the harbor will be closed to anything other than parade traffic so boats must arrive in designated anchorages before 9 and stay there until after 3. I don't think there are any good viewing spots that are also good overnight anchorages, but it's a short trip from protected coves within the Harbor Island matix.

I watched one tall ships parade from the anchorage off of Castle Island and had a great view of the ships from the outer harbor entrance to the turn into the inner harbor.

It's a zoo at 3 PM, by the way! The anchorages are relatively quiet because with no traffic there are no wakes. That all changes in an instant. Be prepared to weigh anchor and get out of there.

More on point, though, let's see if we can coordinate and rendezvous.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698