CD sails

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

ili

CD sails

Post by ili »

I am in need of sails for my 1979 CD 25, any suggestions would be grateful.
thank you,
ktm
John Martin

sails

Post by John Martin »

We have KAPPA Sails (Westbrook, CT) on both the big boat and the little boat. It took us 5 years, 1 sail each year. I like KAPPA, Clark Bassette is fun and interesting to work with.

There are lots of sail lofts all over the country. It depends on how much you want to invest.

I also MADE a working jib and spinnaker from kits, for about 1/2 price of a new sail. Try SAILRITE, they make kit sails. Talk to Matt at SAILRITE, he is the sail designer. All you need is a sewing machine, and just a little floor space.

Search the internet for used sails. Try BACON in Annapolis, MD. Used sails are the least expensive. They usually have a try-before-you-buy plan.

Hope this helps, good luck,

JM
John & Nancy Martin
Sailing on Lake Lanier just NE of Atlanta
CD31 #85 "Carina" 1985
Big E
Salem, MA

An alternative to buying new

Post by Big E »

I have always used Doyle Sailmakers. If you can get your hands on a used racing sail they will cut & tailor it to any spec. It's a cheaper route than buying new. There are plenty of used sail brokers out there who get their sails from professional racers who get new ones every year. Unfortunately they are very busy this time of year so it's best to do this at the beginning of winter. Good luck!
Tom Javor

quotes

Post by Tom Javor »

You may have noticed the post I made a few day back looking for general price ranges for a 25D mainsail. In addition to the feedback I got here I also filed a quote request at www.sailquote.com and have received prices from 5 lofts that subscribe to the service. Took me only a few minutes to fill out the one form. If I end up going ahead I'll go back to the 2 or 3 most competive folks wiht more particulars for final prices.
TJ