To transport or not to transport. . .

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Sea Witch

To transport or not to transport. . .

Post by Sea Witch »

I'm new to transporting boats over road, and the thought of putting a boat I've just purchased on a truck for three or four hundred miles scares me. As a result, I've just about limited my search for a Cape Dory to a distance that I could sail the boat home in three or four days. Are my fears of damage to the hull unfounded? I have nightmares about the hull flexing under the pads holding it upright.
Ron
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Sea Hunt to Sea Witch:

Although you are apparently competing with me for the affections of a CD 25D, I would offer this advise on truck transport.

I transported a Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender from Marco Island to Miami/Coconut Grove in March 2008. I was concerned as well. The most important factor is the reputation of the transport co. The one I used was recommended by a manager at the local Marco Island marina. They were responsive to phone calls, patient with explanations, etc.

The transport rig was actually for very large boats 36'-46' and larger with a series of individual pneumatic pads on each side of the rig. March/April was a slow period for them. As for your concern about "hull flexing", as I understand it very large sailboats and powerboats are transported across the country all the time without any hull disfiguration. To me, my CD Ty Weekender appeared to be "cradled in her mother's arms".

The driver was "Aces", explaining everything in advance, communicating with me via cell phone during the trip, making sure the marina in Miami understood how to lift my Ty Weekender off his rig safely.

He had no problem with me being present and knowing I would follow him from Marco Island to Miami. His only comment was "remember, I go 0 to 60 in minutes not seconds".

Not sure where you are located. The company I used is based in Naples, Florida - Royal Yacht Services (Richard Charlebois) [239.775.0117]. I have no connection with this co. at all other than the one time transport. I would call Richard again in a "New York second". Like I said, he was "aces". Make sure the co. you hire is insured for transport values well above the value of your sailboat. If at all possible, be present when the boat is put on the transport and when it is lifted off the transport at destination.

If you search this board you will find several other transport co. used by board members.

On a side note, I am confident that you would be much, much happier with a Cape Dory 28, rather than a Cape Dory 25D, and believe you should focus and limit your search to CD 28s. :)
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Watermark II

transporting CDs

Post by Watermark II »

Sea Hunt,

As long as you have it done by a professional boat mover you need not worry.
We bought our CD30Ketch in Newport RI and had it moved to NH (about 150 miles) with no problems at all.

We are thinking about moving from the lake to the coast for few weeks of maine cruising and then back to the lake for the fall season.

Get references and dont worry.

Andy1ZXD
Watermark II
CD30K #2
CruiseAlong
Seaford, VA

Experience of tranporting CD26

Post by CruiseAlong »

The CD26 is very much like the CD25D. I used a good marine boat mover for my 26 from Conn. to Virginia (600 miles) with no damage what so ever. Work is actually in hands of the preparation for the move and the loading/unloading of the boat which many times is not the mover but the marina.
Dana
sealark
"Sea Lark"

Transport

Post by sealark »

I have moved 2 boats over land - a Pearson 35 from Oriental, NC to Cleveland, Oh and a my current boat - a CD 28 from West Palm Beach, FL to Tampa, FL.

In both cases - the move went very smoothly and the boats arrived in the same condition as when they left. Both times I used shippers that were recommended by a Marina - they had used the shipper previously.

My only piece of advice - make sure everything is SECURE before the boat travels 60 mph across land. For example - additional straps on hatches that open forward and remove cowl vents. The shipper will normally make it your responsibility to secure everything on the deck.
Ray Garcia

Empty all the tanks

Post by Ray Garcia »

Make sure all the tanks are emptied (holding/water/fuel) or at least reduced before the boat goes on the trailer. They will all slosh around and potentially overspill if left filled.

The batteries should be securley tied down or removed as well.

Boat was transported from Maryland to New York, no damage whatsoever.
Bruce Bett
Member # 1160

Sail it I say!

Post by Bruce Bett »

Not that wouldn't trust a hauler, but it's a lot more fun to bring her home on her own bottom. I bought a CD 30 last spring on Long Island NY and brought her home to Detroit. Great Ride!!

Bruce
BrianW

Post by BrianW »

I've had 2 boats transported with absolutely no issues. (The last 1 being my CD28 from Maine to Mass.)

While I'm sure you can find some nightmare stories on the web, I personally have never heard of a problem. (Well, maybe the price!). The trucks cost alot and a few broken boats to ones name would be sure to ruin a business. These guys are transporting old wooden boats as well as brand new, 40 foot, airex cored, fin keeled, pieces of junk safely across the country. I'm sure transporting our tank-like Cape Dorys is easy.
s/v CATALPA
1986 CD28 #385
Dartmouth, MA
johnny of STORK
Taos, NM
San Carlos, Sonora, MX

Post by johnny of STORK »

I've hauled Stork (CD-30) approximately ten thousand miles, including many in Mexico, on her own trailer, with little to no discernible damage.

Johnny
J D

Post by J D »

When I bought my 27 it was in Wausau, Wisconsin on a home built trailer that the P O had designed and built himself to bring his boat home when he bought the boat in Ohio. I used the trailer to haul my new to me 27 down I-35 to Oklahoma city and I-40 to launch in Long Beach, California. I believe I could write a story about this trip as it was as adventures as any I have done on the water, but the point is the boat did fine. The long flat keel on our boats distributes the weight well on a trailer. the pads on the side only support the boat in place and carry little weight. Care was taken to support the mast in the center and the tiller was securely tied to keep the rudder from thrashing in the wind. I've sold the trailer, via this board, and the trailer again resides in Wisconsin.

I guess what I trying to say with this story is, If I can move 10,000 pounds of Cape Dory and trailer down the road and over the New Mexico and Arizona mountains with my 3/4 ton truck with harm to no one or my boat, those who do this for a living should be able to handle the job OK.
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Post by winthrop fisher »

hi,

the first time is all was scary, but you will be fine....

i have done it across country with the ty and 22...

just check the hubs ever time you get gas,

if you are doing it with the 25 or 28 make sure you have the hp for the job and take your time at 55 or 60 mph....

winthrop
Sea Witch

Post by Sea Witch »

Thank you all for your encouraging words. I would still like to sail my CD home when the time comes, but I will feel less queasy about the alternative if sailing home isn't practical.

Sea Hunt: I'm located in the port city of Brunswick, GA.

Cheers
Ron
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

In reading all the comments, it is obvious the unanimous recommendation of the experienced members of this board is that you focus your search efforts on the Cape Dory 28, a fine sailboat, or perhaps even a larger CD, such as a CD 30 or 33, or possibly a CD 36. :) :wink:

You should completely forget about searching for a CD 25D. To paraphrase Obi One Kinobi "you do not want a CD 25D. They are of no interest to you." :D

I have good friends in St. Marys, Ga., a little south of you. Supposedly great weather and great sailing.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Transport (and 25Ds)

Post by Joe Myerson »

Sea Hunt and Sea Witch:

It's nice to see so much interest in the 25D. Just go ahead and keep bidding the price up!

Seriously, I can only concur with everybody else on this thread: I've had occasion to use two different transport companies, though not for my 25D.

In both cases the drivers/operators were grizzled, crewcut guys with the roughcut competence of retired CPOs. In fact, my dad, a Navy vet (I'm not), hailed one of these guys as "Chief" as soon as he laid eyes on him. The driver grinned from ear to ear and lived up to his reputation. Both moves went flawlessly.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Kevin Kaldenbach
Location: Cape Dory 31 “Kerry Ann“. Currently in Corpus Christi TX and Typhoon Weekender “Wimpyâ€

two cents

Post by Kevin Kaldenbach »

Let me see, I attempted to sail my first CD (CD30K) to its new home but it was hit by an 800 ft barge and totaled. My latest CD (CD31) I had a transporter haul it about 350 miles to my shop where it is getting damage from Hurricane Ike repaired. I requested bids on U-Ship and felt the price was fair. I would recommend not limiting yourself on distance out of fear that the boat might be damaged during transport.