jib / Main Halyard 5/16 vs 3/8

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

doubleb

jib / Main Halyard 5/16 vs 3/8

Post by doubleb »

I am getting ready to change out my Halyards on my CD25,
what is on there appears to be 3/8"
I have heard that it really only needs 5/16.

I do belive in the ' just because its there is it right " statement

What is the rest of the group doing. as far as a CD25 is concerned??

Another newbi question

Thanks
Brian
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

5/16 works for me

Post by Joe Myerson »

Hi Brian,

I have replaced my jib sheets within the past two years, and I went with 5/16-inch Stayset. It seems to work just fine on a 25D.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Oops, you asked about halyards--sorry

Post by Joe Myerson »

I should have read your post more carefully.

My halyards are 3/8-inch.

Remind me to read before replying! Sorry.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
doubleb

Post by doubleb »

Thanks Joe.

I just want to try and keep everything as it should be. to best ability of my wallet.

Brian
John Martin

halyard

Post by John Martin »

My recommendation is to go up in technology, and that allows you to go down diameter. That allows for a saving in weight and windage. There are many hi-tech fibre lines on the market today. Check the 2008 WM catalog, pp 1157 & 1159. Two of my favorites are T-900, and Sta-Set X.

Other good lines for sheets, halyards, control lines are:
Sta-Set
Endura Braid
Amsteel
Warpspeed
Salsa
Regatta

I have first hand knowledge of each of the above lines on the boats I cruise on and race on. All of them perform to the specifications. Each of these lines have a very specific application and use. All of these lines cost more the the average hardware store line. Many cruisers will opt for something a little lower technology. The higher tech lines alow for consistent set and trim of sails.

I consider the halyards and sheets an investment, so I am willing to spend the money to get the best sail shape and trim.

Halyards on a CD25D can be 5/16", or maybe 1/4", if you use the proper line. Using smaller diameter will reduce weight and windage aloft.

The Hunter 30 (Straga) I race on uses T-900 5/16" halyards, and 8 mm UULS for sheets. My 2 CD's are both rigged with all of the above. With excellent sail trim and set, I am able to cruise and race very fast. A fraction of a knot may alow you to make a bridge opening, or a first place finish.

Before you purchase any of these lines, get input from someone who is knowledgable and you trust.

This is just my never humble opinion.

Good luck,

JM
John & Nancy Martin
Sailing on Lake Lanier just NE of Atlanta
CD31 #85 "Carina" 1985
Amgine

Just doing this too...

Post by Amgine »

According to my calculations, 5/16" Sta-Set-X will be more than enough for my CD25D; exactly the same breaking strength as Sta-Set double braid, which itself is stronger than what was available at the time our boats were built. Endura braid 6mm (slightly smaller than 1/4") has the same breaking strength again.

So, using 3/8" double braid will have 4.8 x the stretch, 5/16" Sta-Set-X will have 3.2 x the stretch of the smaller/lighter Endura. The Sta-Set-X is about the same as double braid price, but the Endura is twice the price at least. (At my local source the first two are *exactly* the same price, but the Endura is not kept in stock...)

I find the Sta-Set-X is easier to splice than the double braid. I haven't spliced the Endura yet.
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

Halyards

Post by trapper »

I just put new halyards on Saga. I used the size as set out in the owner's manual.

My prior CD, QT, a CD22 has oversized halyards and they were really a pain. If you feel you need to up size your halyards, dont forget to up size your blocks and cleats!
Sea Owl
CD25 Hull#438
Monmouth Beach, NJ

Halyards

Post by Sea Owl »

Brian;

I use 3/8", primarily because I have big hands and it is more comfortable for me. I agree with the others that you could go smaller easily, especially with today's lines.

I think 'comfort in the hand' on a cruising boat is an element of the choice.

Good luck and fair winds!
Sea Owl
CDSOA Member #1144
doubleb

atvantages vs $$$

Post by doubleb »

Ok let me get this straight/??

If I go with sta-set Poly, Y/B D/B solid or color coded use 3/8.

If I go with the X, 5/16 is ok.

Looking at the specs on them they both carry the same breaking strength,
I guess its the stretch I need to worry about as well as the breaking..
I am just cruising and a beginner. And of course $$$$ has some influence.
So having the same breaking. I could use 5/16. but I need to decide on the amount of stretch that is allowable?

Hey this is E-Z ???

Sorry to sound dumb,
But thanks for all the great information.

B.B
Dick Villamil

halyards

Post by Dick Villamil »

I use 3/8" Sta Set X for my halyards on my 25-27 foot boats - easy on the hand and easy to splice. For the Ty the 5/16 in size is fine. I just couldn't justify the higher expense of the super lines - and I have had a very successful racing record. On the Typhoon - the 5/16" is easy on the hand and fits the shaves and cleats fine. It also wears well where it goes through the sheaves and cleats. I suspect that the 25 would be just righ wih the 3/8" size. Buy your halyard lines a little bit long so you can splice the ends and also reverse them after a few years (cutting off the shackle end rather that unsplicing it). This might also be a good time to lead your halyards back to the coskpit - makes it easy to singlehand the boat as well as tighten the halyards as they stretch in a haavy blow!
Amgine

Post by Amgine »

Okay, the plain double braid has a stretch of 2.4% at 15% breaking load - 4400 lbs.

The X has a stretch of 1.6% at the same 15% breaking load.

So clearly you'll have much less stretch with the X, and it costs roughly the same.

The difficulty is comparing it with a different fibre, like Endura. The amount of stretch changes at every percentage of breaking load, so while double braid might stretch 2.4% at 15% breaking load that doesn't mean it will stretch 4.8% at 30% of breaking load; most likely it will stretch more than that. However, they don't like to report less than 1% of stretch, so they keep upping the percentage of breaking load until they get 1%. Endura gets to 1% stretch around 30% of breaking load.
mattlydon

cruiser vs racer

Post by mattlydon »

NE Rope's web site says 3/8 stay-setX for the halyards on my CD28 as a 'cruiser', with T-900 in 5/16ths as a 'club racer' upgrade.

I was considering the T-900, but I'm not a racer. I DO enjoy getting maximum performance from my boat.

Should I go to 10mm T-900 for 'cruising'? - I'm no blue-water guy. I usually sail the Hudson, with the occasional foray into the LI sound, perhaps down to Jersey, but wouldn't want to under-rig.

Matt
Amgine

Not bigger...

Post by Amgine »

If you can move to 5/16" (8mm) T900, that means it is just as strong as the cruiser-suggested 3/8" (10mm) Sta-Set-X. The only difference is that T900 has less weight, less stretch, and less drag (and a higher price.)

So, if you want to move to a bit more performance, just go to the 5/16" T900. If you go with 3/8" T900 you will get no particular benefit, because your halyard will weigh roughly the same, have the same drag, and still be stronger than you will ever actually need.
John Martin

halyard stretch

Post by John Martin »

On the boat I race, we up graded from 3/8" Sta-set X, to 8mm (5/16") , T-900. This boat is a Hunter 30, one of the older ones, heavy, likes lots of wind.

When we re-trim halyards from up-wind to down-wind, we adjusted about 6" to 8" of stretch, when we used the Sta-set X. When we started using T-900, that same stretch was reduced to about 1" to 2". We get much better performance with T-900, less weight aloft, less windage.

The same thing with the jib sheet. We upgraded to 5/16" UULS and reduced stretch by several inches.
John & Nancy Martin
Sailing on Lake Lanier just NE of Atlanta
CD31 #85 "Carina" 1985
doubleb

Post by doubleb »

Thanks to all!

:D

3/8 it is.