Suzuki outboard frozen gear shift

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Big E
Salem, MA

suzuki 8

Post by Big E »

My 1995 suzuki 8hp (2 stroke) stays in the well all season long. I flush it twice a year... right after haulout and right before launch. I've never had a problem. (knock wood)
Mike Pinto

Honda 4 stroke/2 hp

Post by Mike Pinto »

Mark,
This is my 3rd or 4th year with the 2hp Honda. At 28 lbs. it's light enough for 1 person to take on and off. I remove it and lay it under the cockpit sole while on longer sails, it fits snugly between the cockpit drain hoses. Be careful which side you lay a 4 sroke engine on, throttle side up!!! We have 3 knots of current here and it can push the typhoon right through it. In chop you may get some cavitation from the hobby horsing motion of the boat but at that point there is probably enough wind to sail or motor sail. My Ty came with a 6 hp and switching to the 4stroke/2 hp is thebest thing I have done for that boat. I also removed the Spartan engine mount to free up the aft deck area and installed an Edson bronze,REMOVABLE, engine bracket. When the bracket is removed only a small square receiver piece is left bolted thru the transom. Much cleaner lines to the boat than that bulky Spartan mount.
Mike
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

Thanks Mike, the information is very helpful. I like the idea of storing the motor under the cockpit floor, a good place to lock it away and wouldn't be able to see it from outside.
ocean31

Possible check on the clutch dock for the engine

Post by ocean31 »

You might try hand rotate the flywheel counterclockwise while putting moderate pressure on the shift lever. If the engine goes into gear then it probably is the clutch dog and or something in the lower unit.

I just lost the clutch dog on my beloved Chrysler 7.5. The engine would go into gear and run fine, but would not go into neutral without stopping the engine and hand rotate the flywheel counterclockwise a quarter turn.

If your engine will still not go into gear while hand turning the flywheel I would recommend sticking with the idea of a corrosion stuck shift linkage.

I sail in saltwater in NW Florida, I flush my engines twice a year in Fresh water, once mid season and once at the end of the year. I insure the engine gets up to full operating temp while doing a fresh water flush. Depending on the engine I either use ear muffs, put it on the back of the Jon boat and run it in the lake, or just use a large garbage can. I have never had a problem with salt buildup in the engine.

And the lanion is great idea, I use it on my larger boat's running gear in the winter, keeps the gear clean until I use the boat in the spring.

Hope the above helps

JSB
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Re: Honda 4 stroke/2 hp

Post by Sea Hunt »

Mike:

I have a 1977 Ty Weekender (Hull #1400). She has an original factory installed Spartan engine bracket that comes in two parts. The "receiver" is a very small bracket that is permanently affixed to the aft deck starboard side. The engine mounting bracket is a fairly large bracket that has a wood plate affixed onto which the o/b attaches. When I remove the o/b (which up until the above incident was rare), I have also removed the Spartan engine bracket. It just lifts up and out of the receiver at a 90 degree angle. When removed, the aft deck is clean and neat. The only thing visible and "sticking up" is the small receiver bracket. It is almost unnoticeable.

I looked up the Edson Bronze Outboard Motor Brackets. If I understand the literature correctly, the bracket is PERMANENTLY affixed to the transom and it looks like it sticks out 9"-10". It also increases the distance from the O/B controls (throttle, choke, gear shift, etc.). It also makes it more difficult to reach the O/B to lift it up out of the water.

I like my Spartan :!:

Heading off to Strictly Sail to look but not buy :)
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Mike Pinto

Spartan bracket

Post by Mike Pinto »

Sea Hunt,
Take another look at the Edson bracket. That 9 or 10 inch bracket that you see IS the removable part. The rectangle shaped reciever part only sticks out 1/2 inch from transom and is slighty larger than a credit card. If you've ever stood up on the aft deck area with barefeet I can assure you the Spartan reciever piece hurts if you step on it. When the folding handle on the Honda is down it overhangs the deck area by 4 or 5 inches, very easy to adjust the throttle from the cockpit. Also plenty of room for the engine to tilt up while sailing!!
Mike