Modifications for the "aging sailor"

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

M. R. Bober

Continuing with the theme

Post by M. R. Bober »

The fair and lovely's late mother, Elaine Danforth, always said that growing old is not for sissies. She was usually correct.

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster (where younger men grow older every day,) VA
CDSOA Founding Member
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

Mitch,

My mother said to me when she was having some advanced age related aches and pains;

Warren. You know the golden years......well....you can keep 'um!
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Troy Scott

growing old

Post by Troy Scott »

Mitchell, Mark,

I agree. Growing really old is definitely not for the faint of heart. In her late 90s, my Grandmother told me many times that the reduced quality of life made her old age pretty boring. When she was no longer able to do the active things she wanted to do, she was left with quiet socializing, reading and remembering. This was interrupted by an occasional broken bone or heart-related incident and the attendant hospital stay, and all this time her mind was good. If I hadn't observed all this, I would not be able to imagine it. I expect to grow old, but I'm certainly not looking forward to it. I want to spend my last days doing the active, enjoyable things I want to do...., and when I can't I'd rather not linger for fifteen more years.
Regards,
Troy Scott
nprice
Location: Cape Dory Typhoon daysailor, "Pattie B Too" New Meadows River, ME.

There's only one thing worse than growing old!

Post by nprice »

:?
Nick Price
Dixon Hemphill

Aging

Post by Dixon Hemphill »

Growing old does have its drawbacks but it sure beats the alternative.
Within the the unlocked homes of the Swedish villages on the shores of the Baltic around the rocks sings the sea.
mike ritenour

Listing of sayings regarding aging

Post by mike ritenour »

I really like some of the saying regarding aging. Does not matter if your 23 going on 92, its all aging, eh!

How about listing some of them here?

Regarding the troubles of aging.........

"At least we are on this side of the grass to bitch"

"They can't bag you while your still movin"

Rit
Last edited by mike ritenour on Feb 10th, '09, 09:13, edited 1 time in total.
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Post by winthrop fisher »

hey,

age is a frame of mind, thats right....

but, whats up with older men wearing thongs?????

and they think the girls love it....
Troy Scott

thoughts about earlier thoughts

Post by Troy Scott »

I guess my post sounded kinda "down". I'm not really like that. I was tired, and I probably just shouldn't post anything written from that state of mind.

My Grandmother was a fine person, and she was an inspiration to many people. Now that she is gone, part of my foundation survives only in memory. That forces me to recognize and deal with my own mortality. I'm 57 now. I was actually about 35 when I realized that there really is no time to waste. (That doesn't mean that I don't occasionally waste a little!) This is why I don't watch television or play games. I've experienced many wonderful things already, but I still have a LONG list of things I want to get done while I can.

Mike suggested listing sayings about aging. That's OK, but I would also like to hear about the things older (still active) people want to accomplish while they can. I'm curious about how the lists compare to my own.
Regards,
Troy Scott
mike ritenour

excellent idea Troy!

Post by mike ritenour »

Higher power willing and the creek does not rise my short term aging plan is to take this banged up bod :roll: and with the help of a lot of great crew :D circumnavigate the Great Lakes in the next three or four sailing seasons .

The bones are still rolling, on the long term plan.

rit