LED Bulb Comparisons

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Maine Sail

LED Bulb Comparisons

Post by Maine Sail »

Hi All,

I went ahead a acquired five different high output interior 12v LED bulbs for comparison. It is interesting to note that I did this test before the most recent Practical Sailor test (posted on other forums a while ago). I was not surprised when they too gave some of the highest marks to the Sensibulb..

I wanted to capture the actual beam width and the light color as best I could. I brought the bulbs home and set them up in my garage to shine on the back of the white garage door. I placed the test fixture 25" from the door and use a Deep Cycle battery at a 13.2V float stage charge to power them.

In order to capture every bulb with everything being equal I used a Nikon D-200 DSLR on a tripod with no flash and the garage was pitch black except for the one bulb being photographed. I even re-shot each and every bulb as new ones came in the mail so they were always shot within minutes of each other and at the same level of darkness in the garage. In between shoots I also moved the fixture and camera so I wanted every bulb to be in the exact same position to be fair. The camera was set to manual mode and every picture was taken remotely and on the same exact setting, so all could be as equal as possible. The camera settings were: 1s f/10.0 at 24.0mm iso200

Please note that a camera sees color temperatures differently than the naked eye and tends to skew everything to a warmer glow. The yellow/oragie tints are actually nice and warm and the whitest bulb, the Dr. LED, is almost blue in the real world.

None of the photos, where light was captured, was post processed or run through any photo editing software. This is how they came out of the camera.

I chose these settings because it gave a clearer delineation of where the effective light spread stopped and petered into darkness.

Current Draw is as follows:

20W Halogen = 1.745 amps
10W Halogen =.87 amps
Sensibulb = .194 amps
MarineBeam 6 bulb = .158 amps
MarineBeam 10 bulb = .188 amps
Dr. LED = .138 amps
Superbrite LED = .141 amps

To put it in perspective one 10W Halogen bulb uses 4.48 times (448% more) electricity than does one Sensibulb and one 20W halogen uses 8.9 times (899% more) electricity than the Sensibulb which was the highest drawing of the LED's tested.

This is the Dr. LED G4 / MR-11 it had the narrowest beam width and the coldest bluish color. It was also the least bright with the lowest current draw at .138 amps. At $28.99 I think the MarineBeam bulb is a better value and if you compare price, with beam width and light output, it can't really compare to the Sensibulb in warmness or beam width:

This is the SuperBrite LED's
MR-11 WHP6. It's a six SMD bulb and a decent knock off to the Marinebeam MR-11-6 below. To the naked eye looks virtually identical but the lighting & current draw tell a different story. It has a cold blueish tint and is slightly less bright than the MarineBeam MR-11-6. At $14.95 it is a decent value but certainly not the best color representation. Another clue that it is not the same exact bulb as the Marinebeam is the current draw. This bulb drew .141 amps and the Marinebeam drew .158 amps.
This is the MarineBeam G4 / MR-11-6 it uses 6 SMD LED's and had a much wider beam width than the Dr. LED and about the same as the Superbrite LED bulb but was noticeably warmer in color output. Though the Sensibulb was considerably warmer and more natural looking this was the second most natural looking and fairly close to an incandescent bulbs color. It was brighter and warmer than the Dr. LED bulb and the Superbrite LED and at $24.99 it is a lot cheaper than the Sensibulb. It's a good choice for a price conscious user & it consumes .158 amps :

This is the MarineBeam G4/MR-11-10. Like the G4/MR-11-6 it uses SMD LED's but instead of six it uses ten. It was brighter but notably colder than it's smaller sibling bulb. At $27.99 it is a lot cheaper than the Sensibulb and a good choice for a price conscious user who needs more light output than the G4/MR-11-6 type bulbs can give.. I was not impressed with the color rendering of this bulb and it is tending towards colder rather than warmer especially when compared to the other MarineBeam bulb. It consumes .188 amps :

This is the Sensibulb and it fits both horizontal and vertical fixtures it had the widest beam width, even hitting & wrapping up onto the ceiling. It also had the warmest most incandescent like light output and was definitely the brightest of the tree bulbs but also the most expensive at $39.95 ea. It was significantly brighter than the Dr. LED bulb but also drew the most current of the three LED's at .194 amps (note the reflection off the ceiling and keep in mind this bulb was only 24" from the door):

I have also included this G4 10W Halogen bulb photo for comparison. It draws .88 amps or 448% more than the Sensibulb:

Here's a G4 20W Halogen bulb it draws 1.745 amps per hour or 899% more than the Sensibulb. In terms of light output the Sensibulb falls in between the 20 watt and the 10 watt halogens..

These are the bulbs tested:

From L to R: Sensibulb, Marinebeam G4/MR-11-10, Marinebeam G4/MR-11-6, SuperBrite LED MR-11 WHP6, Doctor LED Mr-11

Front Row: 10 Watt G4 Halogen, 20 Watt G4 Halogen

Test Fixture:

P.S. If you mention to the folks at Sailors Solutions that you read about the Sensibulb here, Nick, one of the owners, has agreed to give 10% off..:D
-Maine Sail
CS-36T
Broad Cove, Maine

My Marine How To Articles
tartansailor

Positive Contribution

Post by tartansailor »

Mainsail,
It is heartening to see a well thought out and executed piece of work such as this.
Good show.
Dick
mike ritenour

Excellent

Post by mike ritenour »

Very nice job!

Rit
D Rush

Excellent Comparison posting

Post by D Rush »

This is wonderful comparison posting from Mainesail.
I have your Blog bookmarked because it's a great source for boat projects and "How To" information
Denis
Roy J.
Location: The fleet: Auburn CD-25, CD-28 #255 as yet unnamed Marblehead MA

Wow -- and a question

Post by Roy J. »

Outstanding. Your data, compared to the Practical Sailor article, proves the old saw that a picture is worth 1000 words. Great work, and many thanks. Do you, or does anyone else, have any information about adapting the LED bulbs for use in our exisiting fixtures?
Roy Jacobowitz
Bob L

Post by Bob L »

Mainsail...

I've been wanting to see tests like this for a long time. Thank you!!

Bob
Maine Sail

Post by Maine Sail »

Bob L wrote:Mainsail...

I've been wanting to see tests like this for a long time. Thank you!!

Bob
Unfortunately none of the mags is willing to go to these levels so I try and do what I can. LED's are the snake oil of the 21's century and I did this to help prevent anyone getting scammed. They are NOT all the same by any means. Even bulbs that I had to physically mark with a Sharpie to tell apart from each other perform MUCH differently...

The best advice I can give is to buy from a reputable company. Dr. LED is a good company but their interior offerings just don't currently compete. Cruising Solutions and Sailors Solutions are the two best IMHO.

Technology is constantly changing so by this time next year bulbs could be 20% or more less than they are now..
-Maine Sail
CS-36T
Broad Cove, Maine

My Marine How To Articles
John Ring

Re: Wow -- and a question

Post by John Ring »

Roy J. wrote:... Do you, or does anyone else, have any information about adapting the LED bulbs for use in our exisiting fixtures?
I installed new lighting from Sailor's Solutions in Tantalus last year. I put in three new dome lights, and also swapped the bulbs in the original CD reading lamps. The new lighting is amazing.

Their dome lights are pricey, but work very well. They have a 3 way switch that allows off, white, or red light. The light intensity is great, and the beam is plenty wide.

The "bulbs" fit into the original CD reading lamps with the help of the adapters offered by SS. The original reading lamps now throw a great quality white light, similar to the old incandescent bulbs but with much lower amperage draw. Again, the color and width is excellent and plenty bright for reading.

This stuff is much better than the older generation LED lighting I had in there before. If you're looking for new lighting, this is a great way to go.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the dimmer switch on the dome lights. It works great, and allows you to dim the red or white light to any level you like.

Best,
John
Sailing involves the courage to cherish adventure and the wisdom to fear danger. Knowing where one ends, and the other begins, makes all the difference.