First sailboat

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Any Will Do Well

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

Truly, They are essentially the same boat in different sizes and all are seaworthy. All will serve you well in the squall lines that cross Florida and all are well built. They are all reasonably fast unless you compare to the finkeels in the racing squadrons - which will have no appeal in squalls. I have owned a 25D since 2000. In someways the smaller the boat the more use you will get out of it and you are more likely to own the boat than the other way around. Look around for the best deal/appeal on any of the three and go for it.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
mexsailor

CD25

Post by mexsailor »

All those you mentioned are great (since they're all CD's).
My first and only boat is a CD25.
Totally restored I've sailed her up and down the coast and to/from Mexico.
She had been sailed from Seattle to Alaska and then down to San Diego before I got her in 2000.
I often notice that though I go out pretty often (over 40 times) all year long the larger boats at my marina (from 27's up to 50's), hardly go out at all, if ever.
A friend of mine decided (after learning to sail on my boat) that he wanted a larger one,so he got a H38' as his first boat. He told me he took it out 4 times last year and total slip, repair and maintenance expenses were over $33,000 for the year. And it's a '96!!!!!
Everything that can be on my little CD25 has been replaced as if it was a 35' which helps a lot out in the ocean.
The CD25 is a well built, forgiving boat as are the others, I'm sure, however, some first time assistance would be a great idea. I'm sure there are some "ol' hands" around the marina that would love to help out.
Fair winds and Good Sailing!
mexsailor
CD25, San Diego Bay
mattlydon

go sailing on one

Post by mattlydon »

Ben,

There are lots of CD board members located in your area. I suggest you solicit a sail from a couple of them so you get a first-hand feel for what's involved.

If a picture's worth a thousand words, a cruise is worth a million of 'em.

Matt