A new neighbor just anchored...Maltese Falcon

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Russell

A new neighbor just anchored...Maltese Falcon

Post by Russell »

Just arrived...

Maltese Falcon, worlds largest privately owned sailing yacht. I saw them last year as well. While not my cup of tea, it is still certainly impressive, especially in person.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

good looking ship

Post by winthrop fisher »

the boat looks like a custom M65' or M69' out of CA, but the rig is really different....

the M65 or 69 is made to order by the owner only out of CA and went out of business in the early 90's.....

its a good looking ship....

winthrop
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

Didnt that boat have a collision in San Fransico Bay recently?

Damn sure gets around
Bill Member #250.
Aaron Headly

More info

Post by Aaron Headly »

From Wikipedia -
The Maltese Falcon is a clipper sailing luxury yacht owned by American venture capitalist Tom Perkins. It is one of the largest privately-owned sailing yachts in the world at 88 metres (289.1 feet), similar to Royal Huisman's Athena and Lürssen's Eos.
John Danicic

Post by John Danicic »

Read:

"Mine's Bigger" by David Kaplan.

http://www.amazon.com/Mines-Bigger-Perk ... 0061227943

The story of how that boat was built. Good read. That would be a sight from any cockpit. Russell, you should go over and asked to borrow a cup of corn starch from your new neighbor.

Sail on

John Danicic
CD36 - Mariah- #124
Lake Superior
marka
CD 27
Hull 219
Oswego, NY

Post by marka »

How'd you like to have to wax that hull in the spring...
Mark Abramski
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

I have read the book about this ship and it really is fascinating. Thom Perkins, the force behind Kliener-Perkins, is the owner and he really wanted to make a contribution to sailing with this boat, not just build the biggest thing on the water - though that was part of it.

His design/construction process was very well thought out and it is interesting to note how he prioritized spending for the project. The real beauty is in the rig and how they developed essentially a roller furling square rigger! I would love to have a sail on this thing as he really does sail it rail down. The pictures in the book are worth getting the thing.

Having said all that, I personally prefer our old 33. For my $250 million, you cannot beat bobbing gently at anchor having a cuppa in the saloon with the woodstove going and rain sounding on the coachroof.

Paul
Russell

Post by Russell »

John Danicic wrote: The story of how that boat was built. Good read. That would be a sight from any cockpit. Russell, you should go over and asked to borrow a cup of corn starch from your new neighbor.
Too late, they are gone already.

Earlier today I overhead a radio conversation though that made my eyes roll...

While underway I always monitor 16, but at anchor I can hardly tolerate all the noise for long. And in Rodney Bay St Lucia it is especially bad since Marin in Martinique is in range, so not only is it a lot of traffic but more 80% is in a language I cant even understand! So normally my radio is off at anchor, but when I have friends nearby we designate a quiet channel and use it for hailing.

Well I have friends here and 69 was our channel, very quiet, maybe one conversation every three hours from other boats. Plenty tolerable. Well one of those conversations that switched to 69 today was between Maltese Falcon and another boat. It was someone on Maltese Falcon asking another boat already enroute to Martinique about the wind direction and their point of sail. After hearing the report from the other boat the Maltese Falcon crew actually complained about the fact they are going to have to beat uncomfortably!! Now I totally rolled my eyes there, first of all its only a 20 mile sail, the Maltese Falcon does 20 knots, and a 280' yacht cant be THAT uncomfortable sailing to windward in less then 20 knots of wind. I am doing the same exact sail 12 hours after they are and I am rather looking forward to it, only one tack, wind less then 30 the entire time, the north swell which was 11' is gone now, it will be as lovely as a windward sail gets and my modest 36' yacht will be very comfortable.

Superyachties are wimps :wink:
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
wingreen

Sure, it's big and luxurious...

Post by wingreen »

... but I bet he can't push it off a sandbar single-handed!
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

mark

Post by winthrop fisher »

mark, :wink: wax on, wax off........winthrop