Season's first seal cruise

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Steve Laume

Season's first seal cruise

Post by Steve Laume »

I am happy to report that the Fishers Island Sound, Harbor Seal, population is thriving. Yesterday was this season's first seal cruise. Vouchers are always offered for any trip that does not include sightings. Raven retains her 100% record of seal spottings, so none were issued yesterday.

Liz and I were looking for a decent weather window to go view the seals and we debated a bit about yesterday. It was cold and cloudy in the morning. The day turned less cold and more sunny as it went on. We motor sailed with the jib set and moved about nicely. Having some sail set gives an added sense of security when maneuvering close to shore in the winter. It feels good to have two sources of propulsion to draw on. Winds were 10 to 15 knots and at times we just let the engine idle with the prop turning as the jib pulled nicely. The main object was to keep the speed under which the spray would reach the cockpit.

We saw lots of seals on shore and many of them would swim out to see us as we layed in East Harbor. One "Sea Puppy" seemed particularly curious about our dinghy. He kept swimming right behind Feather which was towed just off our stern. Harbor Seals are extremely cute! It is had not to think of them as some sort of sea going puppies. Liz talks to them and is always wanting to bring them treats. It is the dog trainer in her that can't be stopped. If we spent much time out there the entire colony would be lined up and sitting next to the boat waiting for their treats.

After the seas we headed West to, ?... West Harbor. In winter it is okay to anchor most anywhere so we set the hook in close and dinghied ashore. We walked a bit and then a guy stopped by to ask us if we were from the sail boat. He then offered us a ride out to the end of the island so we could walk to beach back and cut across to the harbor. He was a really nice guy who used to sail offshore in mutihulls. He must have said three different times how nice sailing people were and he was certainly a testament to the fact.

The beach was absolutely beautiful in a cold winter way. We rounded the point with a magnificent viewing of the race in it's full fury and the sun over Race Rock Light. We then had a nice lee on the South shore. The only tracks in the wind swept sands were of beach grasses and small creatures. We took in most of the sunset and then scurried across the island so as to be back to Raven before it got too dark.

We did manage to stop at the store for some incredibly yummy, hot, mac and cheese.

We arrived back at Raven just after sunset. There was a small crescent moon with the dark side showing! There was also an extremely bright Venus hanging just above the moon. We left out of the harbor as darkness was settling down upon us. Crossing the sound to Noank was pretty magical with the after glow of the sun in the west. There was a similar glow about us after a day well spent. As we got closer to the mainland the stars and constellations grew brighter. Chistmas lights also greeted us across the water as we approached the CT shore and our safe harbor.

It was a very satisfying last sail of the 2008 season. Today the winds are gusting to 45 MPH or better. So it is not just the southern sailors who are having all the fun this time of year. I am now looking forward to the first sail of the 2009 season some time next week.

Happy new year to all, Steve.
drysuit2
Location: Segue, 1985 Cape Dory 26 Hull # 15 Port Washington NY

Post by drysuit2 »

Don't ya just love this time of year?
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Snow shoeing last week in 12" of new snow, whitewater kayaking with my buddies on Sunday and sailing with my sweetie on Monday. I feel like part of an REI catalog or one of those adds for the old guys that have always got to go.

It doesn't get much better than this, Steve.
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

Steve- are you out on a mooring for the winter or do you stay at the docks?
barfwinkle

Ditto

Post by barfwinkle »

Hi Steve
There was a small crescent moon with the dark side showing! There was also an extremely bright Venus hanging just above the moon.
I was anchored out Monday Night and you are correct, the moon and the planets were incredible. I took a couple of pics with my cell phone, so the quality is lacking, but the beauty was very evident.

Yesterday (Tuesday) I had an incredible sail as well. I have a video of that as soon as I can figure out how to post it.

Fair winds and Happy New Year

http://picasaweb.google.com/barfwinkle/ ... eat=email#
Bill Member #250.
drysuit2
Location: Segue, 1985 Cape Dory 26 Hull # 15 Port Washington NY

Winter crew

Post by drysuit2 »

"I feel like part of an REI catalog or one of those adds for the old guys that have always got to go. "

Great line!
Bill Chapple

Post by Bill Chapple »

Steve, I hope you are not out today! Winds 15 to 20 kts at Avery Pt and the temperature at 10 degrees. Still your voyage to East Harbor and then to coming ashore at West Harbor sounds neat. Hope you get some more good days
Bill