cutter rig on CD28?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

mattlydon

cutter rig on CD28?

Post by mattlydon »

I've seen a couple of articles stating that CD28's have been converted to cutter rigs, using the club foot jib and a Genoa.

Anyone actually set this up?

I have the original jib boom, pivot, and sail from my cd28, PO converted it to roller furling, am wondering if I can make it all go together. It would be particularly nice to have the club foot setup when I have a cockpit full of landlubbers - "pardon me, could you get the HELL out of my way while I winch in the jib......yes, the turny thingy behind you.....NOW, before we're in irons......"

How does one actually anchor the new jib stay, to what, etc.

Matt
Dean Abramson

Can't help much, but...

Post by Dean Abramson »

Matt,

I have been under the impression that some CD 28s came from the factory with the twin headsail rig, I am assuming as an option.

It seems to me that if you have a jib boom, then your boat used to have a staysail. So that is my first question: is this boom of a length that would suggest it was a staysail boom? (I have never heard of a CD with boom on the big jib, but it is certainly possible that someone rigged one up that way.)

If what you have is a staysail boom, then it would seem to me that you also have, or HAD, an attachment point for an inner forestay. Or, if the hardware is now gone,it may still have whatever backing was put there for it. (Do you have a photo of the foredeck?) Look under the deck in a spot about 16" aft of the headstay's attchment, and see if there is a backing plate which seems to not be currently backing anything.

Also, is there a tang on the mast about 2/3 of the way between the spreaders and the top, where an inner forestay would have attached? It does seem odd that you would have this boom, but not the stay. But maybe the PO sold off the wire, hardware, and the sail.

I doubt this is all that helpful, but then again, no one else wrote in!

Good Luck,

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Dean,

The CD28 was designed and built with a self-tacking club-footed jib. It's not a staysail... the jib hanks to the forestay.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Dean Abramson

Actual Knowledge???!!

Post by Dean Abramson »

Hey, Neal, I told him I really didn't know much!

Thanks for the info.

Now I guess I am wondering if Matt really wants a cutter rig, or just a self tacking jib?

Calling all Matt...

D
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
king11

Post by king11 »

The new "daysailers" like the Morris M36 and the Sabre Spirit have self tending jibs without a jibboom or club. They must be rigged so that the jib holds a decent shape without the boom. If one wants a self tending jib, that seems to be the way to go. Copy that rig set-up rather than bother with a cumbersome boom.
Just my opinion.
mattlydon

Interested - no extreme measures

Post by mattlydon »

Dean, et al.

The hardware I have came from the original install, which was a club-foot jib. I have no current provision for a staysail. In order to turn her into a cutter, I would need to install an inner stay, figure out where to attach it on deck, etc. The existing bronze bowsprit (which is the attachment point for the forestay) has 3 clevis holes, with the roller-furling jib connected to the most forward. There is probably JUST clearance for the reefing spool, which would put an inner stay 6-8" inside the existing stay.

I was just curious as to whether anyone had done so - saw some brief mention of it having been done before.

Is this adequate clearance?

Is it worth doing (better performance)?

Matt
Ldybg
CD 28 #125
Raritan YC, NJ

CD28 Cutter rig

Post by Ldybg »

If you want to use the club boom & sail behind the roller furled sail on the forestay, I think you would need a second removable stay (solent stay?). As you noted, it will have to clear the roller drum. The club jib would be hanked onto this new removable stay. You may need the jib sail re-cut as it was designed to attach to the forestay (i.e. it may be too long in the foot).

I still use hanked headsails on my 28. I never liked the club boom, it is in the way of the foredeck, and the winch is on the cabin top. For singlehanding, I find it an easier reach to the cockpit winches were I can also keep hold of the tiller. I ditched the club boom and removed the club mount pedestal as well (it too became a nuisance) and installed jib tracks along the side deck for better sheeting angle while using the jib. She points great.

Dennis
Ladybug
CD 28 #125
Stan W.

Tell us more about your inboard jib tracks.

Post by Stan W. »

Dennis, I would love to see and hear more about your inboard jib tracks. Do you have any photos? I am particularly interested in where you placed them in terms of fore vs. aft. How far aft can you set the car before the jib-sheet will foul the forward shroud when the jib-sheet is eased? Is that far enough aft to get proper sail twist for the jib? Do the jib sheets have a clear shot from the lead blocks back to the main winches, or do they foul on the coaming?

Thanks.
SPIBob

CD28 staysail

Post by SPIBob »

When I purchased Zephyr she had a staysail on a clubfooted boom. The boom was attached to a bronze stand mounted on the foredeck about a foot behind the anchor hawse pipe. Just forward of the bronze stand was a SS Schaefer deck plate to attach the staysail stay. This stay attached to a mast tang/bail about halfway between the spreaders and top of the mast. Just below that was an eye strap with a turning block for the staysail halyard.

The sheet was hitched to a pad eye on the port side cabin top just forward of the mast, ran through a turning block on the end of the boom, back down to a stand-up block on the starboard side of the cabin top, and then back to a cam cleat on the aft edge of the cabin top. It was self-tacking. I don't know if this was original equipment or installed by the PO.

It didn't seem to improve performance noticeably. A friend referred to the staysail as a "diaper". And the setup really got in the way when doing anything on the foredeck, especially handling ground tackle or dock lines. Another feature I didn't like was the absence of running backstays to support the mast at the staysail stay attachment point.

So I took it down. I left the Schaefer deck plate in place as an attachment point for jack lines. I don't have the boom anymore, but still have the sail, stay and bronze stand. The tang and strap are still on the mast.

So if you are looking to improve performance/speed, I don't think the staysail route is the way to go.

The only justification I can see for going to a double headsail arrangement would be to give more versatility/options for sail configuration for offshore work, like Fred did on Fenix for his circumnavigation. But, as I recall, he changed the headsail to a yankee, didn't use a clubfooted boom, and added running backstays.

Just my one cent worth. Bob
Ldybg
CD 28 #125
Raritan YC, NJ

Ladybug's Jib Track

Post by Ldybg »

Stan,

Here is a photo I have handy. The sheets go to a turning block on the toe rail then to the cockpit winches. Otherwise they will chafe on the coaming.