Teak Cockpit Grate

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Husky

Post by Jim Davis »

Our Siberian's shedding is, how do you say it politely, quite a scupper filler. Fortunately I do have grates over the scuppers and a weekly cleaning keeps them free. I use a large nylon paint brush to sweep the hair and other debris. Not a bad chore and only takes a few minutes to lift the grate(s) and sweep.

This is in addition to his weekly brushing which leads to large hair balls floating across the anchorage.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
Len

dirt in grate

Post by Len »

Far better to have dirt accumulate in the grate than get carried below by paws or feet. These people build decent products (I have their cockpit table) They make both slotted and interlocking grates

http://www.teakflex.com/grating.htm
Ignorance is the mother of adventure.

http://www.sail0rman.com
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Cockpit Grates

Post by Neil Gordon »

Oswego John wrote:I'm wondering if shedded dog's hair causes you or other readers any problem with your scupper and self bailing system?
Yes, absolutely, if I don't sweep up the hair often. The hair's pretty easy to do with a sponge or small broom but it I don't remove it, it mats down right over the drains.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

dogs on board

Post by winthrop fisher »

hi....

our lab & great dane just layed there most of the time,

at the end of the day the dane would swim for the shore and the lab would tag along....

winthrop
Renova

CD36 Cockpit Grate

Post by Renova »

Our CD36 came with a beautiful cockpit grate. It is in two pieces. One piece is forward of the helm and is almost flat against the sole. (The paint on our cockpit sole is worn in a striped pattern in this area). The piece that is aft of the helm is raised up 3-4 inches, providing a nice boost for the helmsman. The aft piece also has a small removable square insert, to enable you to reach to emergency rudder post, if needed. It is a bit of a test of patience to put the aft piece in and out, as it must be perfectly aligned to fit past the power outlet, and instrument panel. So this one doesn't come out very often for cleaning. The holes are the perfect size for catching grapes, dried cranberries, nuts, salsa bits, and any other treats that stray from one's plate or various furry friends' coats.

Here is the aft piece, as I power washed it last year. Sorry, don't have other pics of the forward piece or the reverse side - although if there is interest, I'm sure it could be arranged.