GPSMAP 76 questions, comments

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Dave H

GPSMAP 76 questions, comments

Post by Dave H »

I'm planning on moving "Puffin" to Ashland, Wi. so I can cruise the Apostle Islands. I'm looking at Garmin GPSMAP 76, and also the 76Cx and 76CSx. The 76 has less memory, 8MB, and is not color. The 76Cx and 76CSx have much more memory, 128MB, and are color. I'm trying to be cost conscious here, but I'd get the higher end one if that was the right thing to do. A few questions.
1. Is the monochrome display harder to read than the color screen? In daylight? At night?
2. Is the 8MB enough capacity to load charts of Lake Superior?
Thanks,
Dave
Doug Gibson
'87 CD36 #147
SF Bay, CA

My Experience with GPSMAP 76

Post by Doug Gibson »

Hi Dave -

I've had a GPSMAP 76 for a couple of years. I have not purchased or downloaded any charts (which cost more than I paid for the unit!). Typically, I use the Nav screen which allows my to configure up to 6 different data fields (SOG, COG, Bearing, Distance, time, etc.) and display it with the largest font size availalble - about 3/8" on the screen.

I have tried to use the chart mode with the built-in map. Even with the built-in chart's limited detail, the is simply not enough contrast in the monochrome screen to be able to see the detail - especially in direct sunlight. With full backlighting on, it's actually easier to read in darkness, but eats up batteries a little faster.

I have not used the Cx or CSx models. I suspect if you really want to get full usability from the charts you purchase, you'll want get the color display.
Doug Gibson
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Reliable--but WAAS doesn't always work

Post by Joe Myerson »

I have used a GPSMap76 as my primary GPS for three seasons now. I primarily use it to track my SOG and position, checking them against a paper chart. But I also have used it for long cruises in fog (200 nm round-trip), and found it reliable.

Several times this season, however, I found that the screen would go blank (except for two vertical lines), and the GPS Map76 would stop working. According to Garmin, this is some kind of software glitch that has not yet been resolved.

It can be overcome by disabling the WAAS feature.

Would I recommend this unit? Yes -- with the caveats that it isn't a fully configured chartplotter and that it should always be used in conjunction with a paper chart.

Would the full-color screen be more easily readable? Probably.

If you're short of cash (who isn't nowadays?), I'd recommend it.

Hope this helps.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

The GPSMap 76 series is pretty long in the tooth. I have had a GPSMap 76 since they first came out. (Maybe 10+ years) It is much easier to read in bright light but the level of detail in the charts sometimes overwhelms the unit. The charts needed for the unit are expensive. I think a much better bargain for what you get is one of the newer units with the preloaded charts. Although a fair amount more expensive, less so when you consider that they are loaded with every coastal chart for the entire US (and maybe the Caribbean?) I think it is a deal. The color screens are about 10 gazillion times better than the gayscale in every kind of light or darkness. The color screens are a pure pleasure to use. Don't even need my cheater glasses.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

Hello Dave,

On Superior for seven seasons I have used a Garmin GPS 76, the old school model. This is not the mapping display but it does have nav aids like Devil's Light and Outer and Red # 4 programmed into it. I use it like the others to get position check ups which I plot on a paper chart and SOG and double check my leeway etc. It has never failed on 14 crossings. The monochrome screen is not hard for me to read as I do not try to fit too much information on one page. With polarized sunglasses on, you will need to lift them to read it. It is fine to read at night. I cannot speak to the 8mb of storage being big enough for Superior charts.

I wouldn't want to use it as a chart plotter, even with a colour screen - too small. In my opinion, these units are perfect for using it the way I described as it is a back up for you knowing where you are by eye and hand bearing compass and in case you run into the frequent fog we get up there, a solid tool to assist you getting to an anchorage. But you still want the chart.

I really feel no need to move up to a $500+ unit with a bigger display for electronic charting. We use two, maybe three charts at the most up there and I feel electronic charting comes into its own when you are really cruising over long distances. If my GPS stopped tomorrow I would probably buy another. Unless you really like electronic charting and want to go bigger, I would get the simpler GPS. My two cents worth anyway.

All the best, hope I see you up there next year,
Paul
Riptide
Riptide

Good Enough

Post by Riptide »

Dave

I agree with Paul on the 76. As an aside, I'd suggest moving up the coast a bit to Red Cliff, Wi to get closer to the Apostles. It's a bit of a hike from Ashland to the first of the islands, Madeline Island. The closest marina to the the islands is Schooner Bay, not fancy but sufficient. My 2cnts. Also there are a number of Cape Dory's at Schooner Bay.

Mike
Joe CD MS 300

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Garmin has several preloaded models along these lines. It may not work if you are in a small geographical area. Being on the coast of ME and somethimes chartering on the Chesapeke its nice to have all charts available. I've got the 478 which also has all road maps and POI's preloaded so I use mine all the time. Actually a lot more on the road than the water. It's nice to be able to switch between the road maps and nautical charts. Just was up to Marblehead MA a few weeks back overlooking Marblehead Harbor fom the car. With just a push of a buttion you get the chart of what you are looking at on the water.

Not a bad price on this one.

http://www.gpscity.com/item-garmin-colo ... ol400c.htm
Bill Michne

Monochrome vs. color

Post by Bill Michne »

Dave:

I have two units, a 182C at the helm of my sailboat, and a 76 on my fishing boat. If you are interested in the charting feature, color is your only option. It is much easier to see in daylight. I have to hold the monochrome rather close to my face to see the chart features. On the other hand, if all you need is nav data, such SOG, heading, etc., the mono 76 is quite adequate. True, it's old, as someone pointed out, but beyond knowing where you are and where you're going, it's just bells and whistles.
Bill Michne
s/v Mintaka, CD 40
David L

Fix for two vertical lines

Post by David L »

This for Joe Myerson in particular ...

My eTrex legend did the same thing. Two vertical lines appeared at the end of the satellite search sequence at turn on. This is how I fixed it.

As soon as it turned on and during the satellite search sequence, I selected the option to "use with GPS off". The two lines did not appear. (You discovered that turning off WAAS does the same.)

This allowed me to check the unit's firmware version with the latest offered by Garmin. It was two revisions out of date. I used Garmin's (free download) WebUpdater to install the latest firmware.

Since then the unit has worked fine.

Good luck,
David
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Vertical lines on GPSMap76

Post by Joe Myerson »

David,
Thanks for the tip.
Actually, according to my last communication with Garmin, they have yet to fix the software problem with the GPSMap 76 (although they've fixed the older GPS 76, which I use as a backup unit).

My boat is now on the hard, and my two Garmin handhelds sitting on my desk, waiting for me to update all my waypoints. I'll send more e-mails to Garmin, hoping to get a software update.

As of now, Garmin's advice is to turn off that WAAS option.

Best,
--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Bob Luby

Map 76

Post by Bob Luby »

I've used my GPSMap 76 for a number of years. For me the primary utility is the ability to pick a waypoint on the crude base map and "Go To" it. If you like paper charts it's all you really need.
________
Dodge razor
________
CONFUCIANISM ADVICE
Last edited by Bob Luby on Feb 14th, '11, 10:35, edited 2 times in total.
Joe CD MS 300

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Just got this months copy of Practcal Sailor There is a review of three Garmin handhelds. The GPSMap 76csx, Colorado 400c and the Oregon 400c. Although an older model the 76csx was their best choice.
Carl Thunberg

A Vote for the 76CX

Post by Carl Thunberg »

No one's really weighed in on the 76CX yet. I have a 76CX and love it. The color screen really does make a huge difference if you plan on using the "blue charts". With the blue charts loaded, you basically have a hand-held chart plotter. Yes, the blue charts are expensive, but I think it was money well spent. As always, have a full complement of paper charts.

My one complaint is, over time (5 years now for me), the mechanism that holds the micro SD card in its slot starts to wear out. Ever so often now, the micro SD card loses its contact, so the chart suddenly disappears. I find I need to open the battery compartment and push the card back in its slot. For the first 4 years, it was problem free.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton