Holding tank Overflow???

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Wanderlust

Holding tank Overflow???

Post by Wanderlust »

My CD30MKII has what seems to be a molded in passage from the head holding tank (molded into the keel) to the bilge. Its near the top and is about 1/8- 1/4 inch diameter. WHATS UP WITH THAT?? Ive never heard of this before. I discovered it when I noticed a nasty smell after someone used the head when I thought the holding tank was empty. Apparently my head had auto siphoned during my absence and filled the holding tank. (Ive corrected this with a loop and now make double sure to check the head's fill-flush valve). I discovered this passage/vent?/ wierd thing when looking into the bilge for the source of the smell (thinking loose hose or plugged vent) and noticed a slight trickle into the bilge from the holding tank direction. Emptied the holding tank, no leaking, no smell but has anyone ever noticed this vent? and why doesnt it stink all the time if its an open vent? and why have it anyway??
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I am thinking you blew the hose off of the vent fitting when you overfilled the holding tank. The vent fitting then becomes the overflow bilge drain and that stinks! Look around for a half inch tube that runs back out through the engine compartment. Make sure it is clear of obstructions then hook it back up and make sure it is clamped in place. When I overfilled my holding tank and clogged the vent I had a leak around the inspection port I had never been aware of before. Holding tank and vent line problems tend to get your attention, Steve.
Wanderlust

Post by Wanderlust »

Yes, blowing off the vent hose would be a good assumption. But this is not a fitting place, no projection to attach a tube to it. Just like you took a 3/16 inch drill bit and drilled from the side wall of the bilge area into the holding tank, except smooth and original. Maybe just a defect in manufacturing?? Im guessing noone else has one of these. Maybe I should just plug it up and see what happens.
Steve Kuhar
Pensacola, Fl.

It could have been a lot worse

Post by Steve Kuhar »

You mentioned that the head had auto siphoned during your absence, and that you now check the flush valve before leaving the boat.

I would suggest that the seacock be closed anytime you are away from your boat. I make it a habit to close all of the seacocks except for one cockpit scupper (and I alternate that one each time to make sure they are regularly worked) every time I leave the boat for more than a few hours. I hang the engine key ring on the seacock to remind me to open it before starting the engine.

We tend to think of freeboard as the distance between the deck edge and the waterline. I like to think of it as the distance between the waterline and the open end of any hose attached to a seacock. In the case of the head that is only a few inches. If you depress the waterline for any reason beyond those few inches the head will complete the job of sinking your boat for you.

Steve Kuhar