CD 10 with liner

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

NJSURFBOAT

CD 10 with liner

Post by NJSURFBOAT »

I just purchase my second CD 10. the first was the only boat I ever regretted selling. I had # 1040 and now # 1607 which has a full inner liner with built in floatation. I have emailed an owner with a newer boat from this list and he notes no liner. Was the liner a breif run? I have seen a dozen or more of these boat as has my freind who is a prior owner, and neither of us has ever seen a liner.[/img]
Ed Haley

Love to see a pic or two

Post by Ed Haley »

I've owned a couple CD10s and a CD14 all without liners. I assume the liner is on the hull. Do you have any pics? It's probably the smallest double-hulled sailboat made. It would be great to see some pics.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

A guy at my marina talked about having a CD-10 with a full liner. He had been looking at mine and was trying to figure out how to get rid of the liner because he was concerned about the extra weight. I never saw the boat but I would think they would be very pretty if not a bit heavy, Steve.
NJSURFBOAT

CD 10 with liner

Post by NJSURFBOAT »

I wouldn't say there is a weight penalty as the outer hull is quite thin compared to my previous one. The original was about 1/8 inch thick, this one has quite a few soft spots and kinda feels sea kayak thick on the outer hull. Anyone ever weigh one of these tanks? I think 150 pounds was over optimistic? This one seems in the 150-175 range. Its really a stunning interior, gelcoated with molded in non skid. Also th emast step si slightly aft giving the mast a slight forward rake. Strange but true. How do I post pict to this site? Or supply email addresses to me.[/img]
hARRIS
Dick Villamil

cd 10 with liner

Post by Dick Villamil »

I have a cd10 with a double hull - I thought they all were like that! Mine needs a lot of work and is soon to be started on - once I make a committment to the project. The boat was evidently dopped by the PO and both hulls are cracked with breaks. Each hull is pretty thin but seemingly tough. The floatation is molded under the seats with weep holes to let the water out. Expandable plugs prevent water from getting in. I plan on sanding each of the 6" - 10" cracks and breaks then fairing a layer of glass onto the exposed surface. Since I cannot get at the inside of the outer hull or the outside of the inner hull I have to settle for a single surface repair - unless there are others who have a suggestion. If I knew how to post photos I would have some for the board to review.
NJSURFBOAT

CD 10 with liner

Post by NJSURFBOAT »

any CD hull # or builder HIN on the transom? Teak or Mahogony ? MIne is mahogony.
hARRIS
Parfait's Provider
berthed Whortonsville, NC

PICTURES

Post by Parfait's Provider »

Here's where to learn how to post pictures:
http://www.capedory.org/board/viewforum.php?f=2

I am no expert and have almost zero experience with hull repair, but
I think you might approach the cored hull repair by removing a section of the inner liner, repair the hull, replace the core, and replace the liner section.

If the hull were thick, it could be scarfed out and built up from the outside, but it sounds like it is too thin for that.
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC