marine 110v - 30 amp surge protector

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

mike ritenour

marine 110v - 30 amp surge protector

Post by mike ritenour »

After toasting my charger/inverter while hooking up to the town dock in Kingston, NY this past summer, I was advised to install a surge protector, in line and before the unit.

Does anyone have any recommendations and advice for a surge protector and its installation?

A search for this unit only produces RV stuff.

Thanks in advance,
Rit
M. R. Bober

Re: marine 110v - 30 amp surge protector

Post by M. R. Bober »

mike ritenour wrote:After toasting my charger/inverter while hooking up to the town dock in Kingston, NY this past summer, I was advised to install a surge protector, in line and before the unit.

Does anyone have any recommendations and advice for a surge protector and its installation?

A search for this unit only produces RV stuff.

Thanks in advance,
Rit
Mike,
Try this:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sa=X ... or&spell=1

You may find what you are seeking.

Every best wish,
Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster (where we clamp those joules), VA
CDSOA Founding Member
mike ritenour

Thanks Mitchell

Post by mike ritenour »

Guess one just needs to know the "rated" bits :D

Have you had any experience with these units?

thanks,

Rit
M. R. Bober

...but wait, there's more.

Post by M. R. Bober »

mike ritenour wrote:Guess one just needs to know the "rated" bits :D

Have you had any experience with these units?

thanks,

Rit
No. However I have had good experiences with units from Trippe Lite Company (back when I was "in the business'). I don't think they have a marine rated unit.

http://www.tripplite.com/EN/products/in ... ryID=14334

APC was another company whose equipment we used. They used to have excellent customer support. It might be worth an e-mail or phone call to either company.
http://www.apc.com/products/category.cfm?id=12

Happy hunting,
Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster (where I am positive that we currently have electricity), VA
CDSOA Founding Member
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

Mitchell,

I got a *charge* from the above statement.

Keep smiling, :D
O J
M. R. Bober

Post by M. R. Bober »

Oswego John wrote:Mitchell,

I got a *charge* from the above statement.

Keep smiling, :D
O J
John,
Anode what you mean. :)

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster (where our potential is either direct or alternating), VA
CDSOA Founding Member
Oswego John

Uncle

Post by Oswego John »

I'm crying UNCLE.

Okay. Here's an oldtimer electrician's poser.

When they first electrified Manhattan Island, why were the lights brighter on Canal Street than they were up in Central Park?

Any geezers out there know the reason?

Hmmmm, :?:
O J
boogie

Uncle

Post by boogie »

Oswego John wrote:
When they first electrified Manhattan Island, why were the lights brighter on Canal Street than they were up in Central Park?

Let me guess
Canal St. is closer to the Battery.
Oswego John

Certified For Sure

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Boogie,

I have the proud honor of telling the whole world that you, sir, are a genuine, certified member of The Loyal Order of the Old Geezers of America.

Congratulations,
O J

PS: For the out of towners that haven't a clue what anyone is talking about, the Battery is a section of town on the lower tip of Manhattan Island (NYC). Canal Street is near the Battery. Central Park is several miles uptown.

The Battery was a strategic placement of cannons used to protect New York Harbour from the entry of enemy warships

As always, have fun. :D
O J
mike ritenour

The battery

Post by mike ritenour »

OJ,

Now let me see if I can get this right.............. the canons were an enemy surge protector before the Battery? :roll:

Rit
M. R. Bober

Older geezers...

Post by M. R. Bober »

Oswego John wrote:Hi Boogie,

I have the proud honor of telling the whole world that you, sir, are a genuine, certified member of The Loyal Order of the Old Geezers of America.

Congratulations,
O J

PS: For the out of towners that haven't a clue what anyone is talking about, the Battery is a section of town on the lower tip of Manhattan Island (NYC). Canal Street is near the Battery. Central Park is several miles uptown.

The Battery was a strategic placement of cannons used to protect New York Harbour from the entry of enemy warships

O J
From the even older geezer department: When I was a young kid of about 30, I worked with an ancient guy (who was about my current age). He was an NYC native, and he swore that when he was a kid the older parts of the subway were lit with DC while the newer sections used AC.

According to the same source the subway system used light bulbs with left hand threads, to prevent theft. I think he was telling the truth; it was his style.

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster (where sometimes artificial means are used to spread the light), VA
CDSOA Founding Member
Oswego John

Re: Older geezers...

Post by Oswego John »

From the even older geezer department: When I was a young kid of about 30, I worked with an ancient guy (who was about my current age). He was an NYC native, and he swore that when he was a kid the older parts of the subway were lit with DC while the newer sections used AC.

According to the same source the subway system used light bulbs with left hand threads, to prevent theft. I think he was telling the truth; it was his style.

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster (where sometimes artificial means are used to spread the light), VA[/quote]

Mitchell,

I have to agree with your friend. When the city upgraded certain sections or added on to the subway systems, they swung over to AC power. The difference being that they used 25~ cycle power (now called Hertz) .

Can you recall when you were going down the stairs from the street level and entering the subway, there were five or six incandescent bulbs overhead. Because of the lower cycle, it was easy enough for the naked eye to detect that the filaments were flickering. But you can bet the farm that each of those bulbs was protected with a sturdy, almost tamperproof iron cage.

One big advantage of using DC power to operate a subway or a trolley car motor is that you had infinite full power control from a dead standstill to high speed by the use of a "drum control" rheostat. The AC potentiometer type control seemed inferior because of the inrush of AC amps and arcing at startup.

Again, thinking back to my old fifth grade class motto, "There is no such thing as a free lunch".

In order to utilize the smooth, full power startup and retro braking that was available by the use of DC power, the problem of voltage drop was notorious, as it is with our ships before modern day advances had been made. Strategically placed along the subway and trolley routes were powerhouses. These weren't generating stations, but a system of inverters, transformers, rectifiers, reactors and an assorted variety of whatever is necessary to maintain working DC voltage to maintain safe transportation throughout the vast system.

Who knows what is used in todays advanced era.

Anyone remember the Third Ave El ?

O J
minke

End of d.c. in N.Y.C.

Post by minke »

Larry DeMers
CD30c #283
Lake Superior

Re: Why DC at the start vs. AC

Post by Larry DeMers »

In the very beginning of electrification of this country, electricity was in the DC form. This was Edisons' grand idea, and totally wrong, as history shows. The downside was that DC has very high loses when transmitted over wires, so there had to be many booster stations along the transmission lines path, limiting where and how far they could wire the service to users. If this had remained as the standard, I suspect that electrification would have taken much longer to accomplish.

A competitor of Edison, Nicola Tesla had invented the means to transmit Alternating Current (AC) along transmission lines, with very little loss in voltage, so Tesla's invention became the norm across the world. This upset Edison, and he kind of disappeared from the scene after this.

Tesla was an incredible mind, and caught thee US Gov's attention early on. They inlisted him in some really far-out experiments dealing with manipulation of space and time through magnetism and variable frequency modulation of an AC wave.

He worked on a phase generator that he claimed could make a US Navy ship disappear, then reappear in a distant point. This was refered to as the Montauk experiment, and is a fact. The results of this series of experiments is however kind of spooky, and the subject of a lot of controversy.

When Tesla died, the US Gov. gathered every scrap of information that he generated and slapped National Security on it, and that information stayed Secret until sometime in the past 20-30 years, where some of his workbooks and writtings were transfered to his museum in Europe someplace (Romania??) That is, all but the Montauk Experiment and all of his phase generator work (which could theoretically change an objects visibility thru phase manipulation of the object). He was not a nut, and has the success stories to back up his claims. His only fault was that he was *way* ahead of his time.

So no doubt there were places that used the Edison bulb on Tesla'z AC, and places that used the Tesla bulbs on AC. They would look different, since Edison used a carbon filament (very yellow/orange color), while Tesla used tungsten steel (white/yellow color)..which is still in use today.

Cheers,

Larry DeMers
s/v DeLaMer
Cape Dory 30 Lake Superior

M. R. Bober wrote:
Oswego John wrote:Hi Boogie,

Congratulations,
O J

O J

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster (where sometimes artificial means are used to spread the light), VA
bottomscraper

Re: Older geezers...

Post by bottomscraper »

M. R. Bober wrote: From the even older geezer department: When I was a young kid of about 30, I worked with an ancient guy (who was about my current age). He was an NYC native, and he swore that when he was a kid the older parts of the subway were lit with DC while the newer sections used AC.

Mitchell Bober
I can verify that yes left hand thread light bulbs were used in the NYC subways and other places with public access like apartment hallways. My Dad was an electrician who worked in NY he kept a few spare left hand bulbs on hand. You can still buy them Sylvania part number 12530.

At least until the mid 70's and maybe later some parts of NYC still had DC power available from Con Ed (the electric company). By that time it was typically supplied along with AC. The DC was still used for specific older equipment like freight elevators and some industrial tools. I'm not sure if and when it was discontinued. (edit: oops I should have looked at the news article, I guess it lasted until two weeks ago!)
There was also the old 32V DC Delco system used on farms and rural locations. When I worked with my Dad in the mid 70's we would stumble across one of the old generators on farms in the Adirondacks. Most had been long out of service and rusting away by then.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com