Vendee Globe

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Warren S

Cape Dory 270 Hull #5

Washington, NC

We (Judy and I ) had similar strategy

Post by Warren S »

Now I'm just going where the speed is 1-12 hours out, not 24. Hence the gybing due south. Interesting lessons here.
"Being hove to in a long gale is the most boring way of being terrified I know." -Donald Hamilton
John Ring

This is becoming an illness...

Post by John Ring »

Neil Gordon wrote:I was "passed" by 4,000 boats in the meantime.
Yeah, that was me waiving as I went by ;)

I wouldn't put too much value in the rankings - they're not entirely accurate at this point. We've got over 20,000 nm to go, and like the real Vendee, it will take about three months to complete this virtual race. My strategy is simple; set your sails for the wind you're in. Set your course for the wind you want to be in tomorrow.

Rumor has it that if you come in first place, you get a car. If you come in last place, you get a French car.

Cheers,
John :)
Open 60 Tantalus
Sailing involves the courage to cherish adventure and the wisdom to fear danger. Knowing where one ends, and the other begins, makes all the difference.
Ed Haley

Team Canada assisted by Team Pindar

Post by Ed Haley »

In the traditional spirit of sailing, Team Pindar (Bahrain) provided manpower and resources to assist Derek Hatfield of Team Canada to get back in the race after serious damage to his carbon mast. Derek did not have the resources to repair his yacht and would have dropped out of the race. But Team Pindar stepped up to the plate in classic seamanship and poured in their own resources to keep Derek (a competitor) in the round the world race.

Great showmanship.

In Derek's own words:

Spirit of Canada: Skipper's Report
Hello from Algimouss Spirit of Canada
What can I say about the first few days, wow what a beginning to a round the world race. Start day was fantastic with the big crowds and great send off. It is the most emotional thing I have experiencced in a sailing event, thousands of people cheering you on from the shoreline. I must admit to being nervous on the start line with 30 IMOCA 60's racing around chomping at the bit to be off. We knew the conditions would be lively the first few days and they lived up to the expections and then some. We all started off up wind with one or two reefs and the solent for a sail plan but it wasn't long into Sunday night that I was at three reefs and solent. At one point during the first night I spend about two hours going due north as the solent sheets totally wrapped themselves into a big knot after an unexpected wind shift tacked the boat and I found myslef lying on my side with the boat going sideways in 27 knots of wind. Monday was very unpleasant as the fleet headed due west to escape the Bay of Biscay and the unpleasant cross seas that pounded the boats. On Monday, winds were even higher with gusts into the mid forty knot range. I had changed to the staysail and during one violent rain squall of 55 knots I was attempting to put in the 4th reef in the mainsail when the mainsheet took away the wind generator. My worse case scenario so soon in the race; no wind generator and just enough fuel to go around the world hand steering with a hand held GPS to guide me. As the rules allow me to return to the start line, make repairs and restart without a penalty, this was the obvious choice. Reluctanly I turned back and watched the damage reports on the other boats come in. Back at the dock, Patianne and Team Pindar were waiting for me with all the resources needed to turn the boat around quicky. The damage to the mainsail track was only noticed once back across the line and I tried to take down the mainsail. The track at the second reef point had pulled away from the carbon mast. We realized immediately that we would have to take the mast down. Over the next few days the team worked day and night to work through the work list and take fix the broken mast. Around us on the dock, the carage from the storm started to appear. Maisonneuve with hull and deck crack problems, then Groupe Bel and Aquarelle.com with no masts at all. Hugo Boss arrived with long strands of carbon pulled from the hull. Bernard's boat was getting a new bow sprit after hitting a ship right after the start. Other competiors had already come and gone after quick fixes, Temenos and Foncia among them. I think in total, nine boats returned to Les Sables as a result of storm damage.
After four big days of fixing the long llist of things broken on Algimouss Spirit of Canada, I was ready to leave on the high tide Thursday night. I never really contemplated not leaving, as long as we felt the boat was safe and was fixed properly. A big thank you to Andrew Pindar and the Team Pindar team, especially Nick Black and Hanna White.
As I write this note, Cape Finisterre is visiable out the port side and I am just about to jibe to the south and continue chasing Bernard. I've been able to make some headway on him as I brought in the new wind from the north. I suspect though he will have slipped away after turning the corner as it is a much better wind angle as we head south. Next goal for me is to pass west of Maderia and to make some more time on the tail end of the fleet. More soon.
Take Care
Derek
Sea Owl
CD25 Hull#438
Monmouth Beach, NJ

Standings....

Post by Sea Owl »

Hey John;

I figured out that the distance appears to measure more Horizontal than true course distance - at least right now! Many times I have seen boats listed ahead of me that were behind in a 'real' look but a little further eastward....

.....I went on Wikipedia and looked at old results....when the top 5 finish with less than 3 DAYS between any of them, thats almost a photo finish! There are often WEEKS between competitors in the real world!

So our little Cape Dory Crowd is doing great! :D

This simulation obviously ignores sea states (hooray!) - I haven't seen anything that would limit your sail vs wind speed yet, but then we haven't seen a real storm yet either......also going to be interesting to see if anybody hits an iceberg and is eliminated like in the real race.....

....what a change from our Wed night beer races!

"Lead" pack is hugging the coast, is in light air with no sign of relief I can see right now....have to get globe out to see what is really SHORTEST route vice what it looks like on map.....

....anybody done that yet? Is the dashed line a 'best course' for distance?

Just curious....

Regards to all.....

Russ

Haven't communicated much, but am following you all....
Judith

Re: Standings

Post by Judith »

Russ,

Direct progress-towards-goal seems to be a big factor--and in a couple of ways:

1) Whenever I change course and am not proceeding directly towards the goal, I immediately start losing places.

2) I've noticed that if several boats are the exact same 'Distance from Finish,' the one which has covered the MOST 'Distance from Start' is LAST in the rankings--i.e., points are awarded for going most directly.

That's my theory, anyway, and I like it! However, there's no telling if it has any relation to the way rankings are actually determined :D

Judith
To unpathed waters, undreamed shores.
The Winter’s Tale. Act iv. Sc. 4.
Sea Owl
CD25 Hull#438
Monmouth Beach, NJ

Standings....

Post by Sea Owl »

Judith;

Good point! Which leaves us the racers dilemma - go a little longer faster, or not as fast and shorter?

With no trusty GPS to give a VMG guide, or a real chart/location to figure distances, its hard!

However, since I think most of us are here to have fun, do any of us REALLY care? As I think it was John said, we have many many miles to go in any case, and standings just don't really mean too much yet.

Russ
BillNH

Re: Standings....

Post by BillNH »

Sea Owl wrote: "Lead" pack is hugging the coast, is in light air with no sign of relief I can see right now....
Yeah, I was hoping to run the inshore route as well, but that option appears to be shut down for the next few days. I suspect the leaders will make it through OK but the forecast for 1-2 kt winds in close scared me off to Plan B, the route further offshore that we're all taking.

Seeing all the course changes that some boats are making makes me think that some of these guys aren't getting too much work done these days... :wink:
Judith

Standings are for fun

Post by Judith »

I agree. Warren and I are having a lot of fun (and doing a lot of needling :) ) as we leap-frog for the "Last CD-er" position. It's really a good learning tool and quite interesting for us, since usually, he pulls the strings, and I navigate.

Even at the back of the pack, though, we just about squeak into the top 1/3. And some of our CD-ers are in the top 5-10%. Go, team!

By the way, I have to amend my direct-progress theory. Looks like current speed-towards-goal counts, too. I'm just glad I didn't have to develop the software :!:

Cheerio.
Jim_B

give me a hint...

Post by Jim_B »

So I'm buzzin along the coast of Africa at 11.8 knts in 10.3 knt wind hoping to make it through the hole before it shuts down completely......

What are the names of the others CDr's out there?

I'm JBAST.... (going the "long way 'round")...
Sea Owl
CD25 Hull#438
Monmouth Beach, NJ

JBAST....

Post by Sea Owl »

JBAST....

Most (if not all) of us are using our real boats name.....liquidity, tantalus, SEA OWL, etc.

Russ
Jim_B

Ah....

Post by Jim_B »

I should have been that smart..... thanks for adding me as a 'friend' - now I won't feel so lonely sailing into the whole of dead air.... I wonder if this boats can be sculled?
Judith

Re: give me a hint...

Post by Judith »

jsbkc wrote:What are the names of the others CDr's out there?
Since our skipper has the boat's name, Morveren, I'm using Avecita.
Sea Owl
CD25 Hull#438
Monmouth Beach, NJ

Bending East....

Post by Sea Owl »

All;

FWIW, I have decided the winds are favoring a bend to the east after following (roughly) the dotted course line. Nothing major at present, as I don't want to wind up having to go due south in a week or two to make the first 'gate'. What it will really amount to is trying to head about 170 or so depending on wind, and if I have to dodge something, first choice will be east rather than west - unless the reall y good winds are west! :D

Just sharing my thoughts with my CD buds!

Russ
60' racer Sea Owl!
Judith

Re: Bending East....

Post by Judith »

Sea Owl wrote: Just sharing my thoughts with my CD buds!
Looks like the plan to me!

(Re-writing old song) "The Laggard of the Pack" :D
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Bending East....

Post by Neil Gordon »

Judith wrote:(Re-writing old song) "The Laggard of the Pack" :D
Of the CD pack, maybe. Of the overall fleet, you're in the top third.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698