Tiller/ cockpit leak CD 22

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

BillyO

Tiller/ cockpit leak CD 22

Post by BillyO »

Seems as though every time we get a good rain, I find some water in my bilge. I check it through the small hatch on my cabin floor.
So, as I begin the end of season take out , I THINK I have found the culprit'
The tiller/ cockpit entry. Seems as though they were BORN to collect
moisture and deliver it to the lowest point in boat.
Any body had/have similar experience.
What remedies are available ?
I have all winter to get at it.
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Billy:

There is a series of posts on this. I think you can get to the thread at:

http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic ... highlight=

I am not very good with computer stuff so you may need to search for it. It was started by D Rush on 18 June 2008. There are several ideas in that thread.

Also look at the following thread:

http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic ... te&start=0

Although it started out as a Miami weather thread by Zeida I managed to "hijack" the thread. There are several good suggestions from experienced CD owners (not me :!: ) about water ingress issues and ways to solve the problem. They worked for me.

I had a similar problem. The scupper drain hose configuration did not allow water to properly drain out of the cockpit. The water backed up and went down the area around the tiller and tiller post into the bilge. I replaced the drain hoses with a more flexible hose and sealed all of the areas around the tiller, post, teak plate, etc.

Since then, I have not had any problems. The bilge is basically always dry except for South Florida moisture drops which will always be there.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
seadawg
Corpus Christi, Tx.

(reply)

Post by seadawg »

BillyO. Is it the teak plate surrounding the tiller shaft you suspect? I don't think water can get to the bilge from there. Having said that, that teak plate is a sore spot for Cape Dories and if it leaks can cause a "spongy" cockpit floor. I took it loose on my ship, dug out the soft balsa and filled it with epoxy, reworked the plate and sealed it with polysulfide. My 22 does leak rain water. It comes in at the stern vents and around the top of the hatch boards. The water just runs to bilge and doesn't soak anything else. After a good hard rain I go out and run the bilge pump for a minute. Just some thoughts, Charlie
hughesw

CD-22 Scupper Leaks

Post by hughesw »

Sorry, not related to rudder post leaks.

But, I've got a leak around the port-side upper-scupper hose. I'm not entirely sure it is the hose leaking. Water seems to be coming from above where the hose connects to scupper, from what I could see. There is no obvious damage to the fiberglass around the scuper apart from some gel coat cracks.

I tried to remove the hose last month, when I had the boat out of the water, but they must've use some serious kind of sealant. The hose wouldn't budge. I stopped short of cutting the hose off with a sharp blade. Any recommendations for loosening the hose(s) from the scupper connectors?

So I'm kind of at a loss, but I suppose the prudent thing to do would be to go ahead and replace the hose and hope that solves the problem. And if this hose needs replacing, then I should replace all the others while I'm at it.

Warren H.
shavdog

Post by shavdog »

If those are original hoses they have been on there for 27 yrs. On my typhoon I had to cut them off ...
seadawg
Corpus Christi, Tx.

(reply)

Post by seadawg »

Hughesw: Those hoses have wire in them and a blade won't do it. I used a hacksaw. The replacement of the hose turned out for me to be very difficult. This hose has an "S" shape. The new hose was so stiff and wants to kink. Save the old hose pieces to get an accurate length. The next time I replace one of these hoses I'll find something more flexable... probably not with internal steel wire. The stress these hoses puts on the cockpit fittings could be the reason for your leak. It would probably be best to just do one at a time until you get the hang of it. Cheers, Charlie
hughesw

Thanks

Post by hughesw »

Thanks Charlie, Craig.