Lets talk winter sticks....

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Chris Reinke
Location: CD330 - Innisfail (Gaelic for "A Little Bit Of Heaven on Earth"), Onset, MA

Lets talk winter sticks....

Post by Chris Reinke »

I was witness to a debate between 2 boat owners as to the proper equipment and method for utilizing a winter mooring stick. The discussion became rather heated when one suggested that by not following his "method" the other owner would put the "entire mooring field at risk next season".

I kept my comments to myself, and immediately thought that this may make for an equally entertaining and heated exchange on this board....so here goes.

Owner #1 was adamant that a heavy wooden stick should be used, he suggested a 4x4 post, and the chain should go directly to the "stick" to help it maintain a vertical position in the water. His argument was that the wood would not be damaged by winter ice and running the chain directly to the stick would also keep it out of the mud.....which for some reason he felt would help reduce rusting.

Owner #2 was adamant that a PVC winter stick, filled with foam, would hold up better to the pressure of any surface ice. He also felt the PVC would be more visible and help reduce the chance of a passing boat to run over the stick. He also felt that the chain should be lowered down into the mud to avoid the higher oxygen level near the surface and benefit from lower organism activity in the darker bottom water.

Like I said, I avoided the discussion but was entertained by the passion that both owners had in defending their positions. In my experience the argument for lowering the chain into the mud sounded reasonable as I have always found the heaviest wear on my mooring chain has been near the surface.

So what does the board say?
Dalton

I use a plain pine 6' 4X4

Post by Dalton »

The primary goal is to get the mooring chain into the mud so it doesn't wear. Just hanging there causes wear. Secondly the ball can be damaged by ice. The 4X4 is connected to a 14 foot length of galvanized chain. I drilled a one inch hole through the bottom of the stick and loop the chain through and shackle it. Then shackle it to the top of the mooring chain. Drop the mooring chain in the mud toss the stick in and I'm done. I paint the top foot of the stick white and the rest with bottom paint. At first it floats on about a 45 degree angle but after a few weeks it takes on a little water and floats vertically, I believe the chain helps. I tie a large Tide bottle on it for additional visibility.

GD