What is the best way to tie off sheets to head sail?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

What is the best way to tie off sheets to head sail?

Post by Gary M »

Hello everyone,

This past weekend I received a gift of Sta Set that I'm planning to use for new jib sheets.

Currently my sheets are two lines that I attach to the sail with bowlines. Trouble is, the bowlines get caught up on the shrouds when I tack.

Now I have the opportunity to have one continuous sheet and I wonder what the pros and cons are to one continuous compared to two sheets, and what is a better way then a bowline to attach the sheet to the sail.

Thanks
Gary
Last edited by Gary M on Oct 17th, '08, 13:59, edited 1 time in total.
Carl Thunberg

It Depends

Post by Carl Thunberg »

If you have roller furling and don't need to do headsail changes, the simplest thing to do is fold the line in half and push the loop through the clew cringle. Then pull the bitter ends through the loop and sinch. No knot to get hung up on.

On my former CD25, where I had hank-on sails, I had a permanent loop by folding the line in half and whipping the two lines together. This whip was probably 3 inches long or so and had many wraps so it was more than just a simple whip. I probably should have whipped in a thimble, but I didn't and never had a problem. I then used a Wichard allen head shackle that can't snag on anything. It worked like a charm.

Here's a link showing what the Wichard allen head shackle looks like. They work slick. The only problem is, the pin is not captive. You can drop it overboard. Buy two. http://www.greenboatstuff.com/wialhepindsh.html
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Serge Zimberoff
"Cloning Around"
Lake Sonoma, CA

Jib Sheets

Post by Serge Zimberoff »

You have an opportunity to avoid all those bulky knots. Keep the line as one piece and use a 'cow hitch'. Lifetime of freedom from hanging up on everything!
We have one on a Rhodes 19 that has been there since 1967. You won't be sorry.
Serge
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

I agree with Serge, but please remember I am a true "tadpole".

A while ago I converted my working jib (100%) from two lines to one line with a cow hitch. It worked great. I recently converted my Genoa (135%) to one line with a cow hitch. It has worked great as well.

Both these head sails previously had two separate jib sheets attached to the clew cringle with bowlines.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Al Levesque

Post by Al Levesque »

I tie my sheets just as described by Carl. It never catches on anything. While I was trying to think of the name I had read here a while back, Serge obliged and used it in his post. When I had first used the cow hitch I expected a bit of slippage but have not found any. It is a bit tough to untie in the Fall when I remove the sheets for washing but it does come apart with some work with a marlinspike.
Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

Is this a cow hitch?

Post by Gary M »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cow_hitch

I've been told before that this is the knot I should use but it looked to me like it would slip.

Now I've got to try it.

Is this the knot?

I'm also thinking of head sail changes.....I don't have roller furling.

Gary
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Gary:

Yes, the Wikipedia picture on the right with the green, black and pink line is a cow hitch.

In my limited experience using it on both jibs (working and Genoa) it does not slip.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Bob Owens
City Island, New York

Another Vote for the Cow Hitch

Post by Bob Owens »

Gary,
I have used the "cow hitch" for several years on my genoa sheet--which is a single line. It does not hang up on anything when tacking. Also makes it easy to adjust for wear; assuming your sheet is plenty long, just shift the hitch a few inches one way or the other. It does not slip. Just the opposite, it tends to tighten down on itself pretty strongly over time, so I try to remember to loosen mine about once a month or so.
Best,
Bob
mattlydon

snap shackle

Post by mattlydon »

Although I currently have a cow hitch on my Jib, my previous boat had a snap shackle on the jib, with the sheets attached to the shackle with a cow hitch.

While I never thought of it previously, I recently had my roller furling jam on me halfway furled while trying to make my mooring with the wind rising and darkness falling - I had to bring all of both sheets forward and manually wrap the jib around the forestay, then re-reave. Needless to say, this was much harder with 60-70 ft of line in hand than if I had been able to release the shackle, wrap it around, and re-attach.

Something to think about, particularly if you have multiple headsails.....

Matt
Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

Snap Shackle

Post by Gary M »

Is there a down side to using a snap shackle?

Maybe the down side is the chance of it hitting me in the head when I pull down a flogging sail!

Note to myself.....use the down haul!

Gary
hughesw

Cow Hitch here as well...

Post by hughesw »

I use a continuous length (70') of 5/16" Sta-Set for jib sheets on a 133% roller furler genoa. I always remove the sheets at the end of the day and/or trip. Works for me.

Using the cow hitch instead of two bowlines or a shackle reduces the weight at the clew which makes a difference when sailing off the wind in light air.

Only problem with the cow hitch is attaching the whisker pole when sailing off the wind; my whisker pole has clips at both ends instead of a spike that goes thru the clew grommet. So I tied a small length of 1/8" line thru the grommet to attach the whisker pole to.

Warren H.
Anthony P. Jeske
FLYING CIRCUS

What's in a name?

Post by Anthony P. Jeske »

Hi All:
This knot, which I, too, use is also known as a Lark's Head and also as a Girth Hitch. I prefer the more elegant (at least to me), Lark's Head.
Fair Winds,
Tony Jeske
SPIBob

Brummel Splice

Post by SPIBob »

Another option for attaching sheets using a single line to the headsail clew is the Brummel Splice. It's even less bulky than the cow hitch. I've been using it for several years with no problems.

To make this splice, middle the line at the clew. Pass one end of the line at a 90 degree angle through the middle of the other line just below the clew. Then about an inch or so below this, pass the end of the line that was just "impaled" through the middle of the other line, again at a right angle. You wind up with the lines crisscrossing through the middle of each other. Doing the splice is easier if the ends are tapered and you have a good fid/splicing tool. The splice can be undone, though not quickly. And there's nothing to hang up on the shrouds.

I would never (again) use shackles at the headsail clew. Too dangerous.
Parfait's Provider
berthed Whortonsville, NC

Abther Idea

Post by Parfait's Provider »

Maybe someone reading this will be able to name the hitch?

I double the sheet and whip it to create an eye. Pushing the eye through the grommet, I take short length of the sheet, also whipped to the sheet near the eye, and push the free end through the eye. It won't jam, it can't slip, and you can leave the sheet reeved when changing headsails.

Further, there is no heavy hardware to do damage to crew or boat.

Anyone know if it has a name? I see it called an "ideal knot" at http://www.wayfarer-international.org/W ... sheet.html

Here's a drawing:

Last edited by Parfait's Provider on Oct 17th, '08, 22:33, edited 1 time in total.
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
jerryaxler

headsail hitch

Post by jerryaxler »

I would strongly disagree with the use of a snap shackle. In heavy air with the clew flapping they have a tendency to unsnap at the worst possible times. I have even taped them shut and they have managed to open. With a high cut yankee, the only way to reattach the sheet is to lower the sail. The "cow hitch" does not slip, however after a little tension it is damn near impossible to untie easily. Bowlines or 2 snap shackles(one for each sheet for safety attached by splicing) seem to be the best way to have the sheets available for multiple sails.
Fairwinds and following seas,
Jerry Axler