stern mast crutch

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

TY375
Sturgeon Bay, WI

stern mast crutch

Post by TY375 »

Just wondering if anyone has a relatively non-invasive design for a stern mast crutch. When down, my mast lies on a board across the bow pulpit (with a wooden saddle mounted on it, so the mast doesn't roll around), a support on top of the mast step, and a more-or-less unsatisfactory mast crutch at the stern made of a short length of 2 x 4 (16 - 18 in.) mounted vertically on a wooden base. The problem is that it's wobbly and falls over easily. My ideal would be something sufficiently stable that I could put a shallow V roller on the top of it to be able to roll the mast aft to get the base into the tabernacle for raising. I've seen a reference to the V roller idea (I think in a post from Winthrop about mast raising) but can't envision anything that I could just set on the stern deck and not have fall over as soon as I started moving the mast. I'm also not sure where I might be able to fasten anything.

One idea I had was based on a 2 x 4 fastened to the aft cockpit bulkhead with a couple of screws into backing plates (or bolts into T-nuts in backing plates). When removed, I could fill the holes with shorter versions of the same hardware & finish washers.

Any ideas - and I've already relied on a number of great ideas from the experts on this board - would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

John
hmeyrick
Location: CD 30, Hull 156, "Old alt". Previously "Old Salt", but the "S" fell o

Post by hmeyrick »

Hi John. I'd be reluctant to consider myself one of "the experts on this board", but I have built for myself such a mast crutch as you seem to require- possibly something like it might work for you as well.

My mast crutch is made from two lengths of 2X4s crossed in an X shape (with the 2 sides adjacent and the 4 sides facing up, if that makes sense) but with only about 4" of 2x4 above the crossing of the X, so as to make a little v for the mast to sit in. The bottom ends of the X have short lengths of 2x4 attached, so that the whole thing doesn't wobble fore and aft, and the X is sized so that the feet lie right up against the coaming boards, for stability. The feet and the v are covered in carpet scraps, and I made a sort of hinge in the crossing using a carriage bolt and pipe straps so that the whole deal is collapsible for storage. A bit of judicious lashing helps to ensure that it isn't collapsible while in use, either.

best of luck

Huw
Ron Churgin

topping lift?

Post by Ron Churgin »

I have used a mast crutch as described above (though I did not make it as well) but much prefer a topping lift if you have access to the mast.
Ron Churgin
TY375
Sturgeon Bay, WI

mast crutch

Post by TY375 »

Thanks Huw - that sounds like it would work. Just a follow-up question though - I can't quite visualize how the horizontal 2 x 4s, the feet for the ones that make up the X, sit up against the coaming boards. Did you maybe mean toe rails or does your assembly sit down on the cockpit seats & press against the seatbacks?

John
Serge Zimberoff
"Cloning Around"
Lake Sonoma, CA

Stern Mast Crutch

Post by Serge Zimberoff »

I used what I am pretty sure is a support that came from a Hobie Cat trailer. It is a pretty neat piece of hardware that clamps on to some part of that trailer.
In words, it has a square vertical plate at the bottom w/4 holes, a square tube welded to it that ends at the top in a 'U'.
I bolt it to the 1-1/2" wood portion of my outboard motor mount. By using wing nuts I can easily take it on and off.
After mounting it for the first time, I marked it for the right height and cut and welded the tubing back together so my mast just rests on a fender on top of the cabin and is secured front and rear in crutches.
Works great and puts the mast off-center when down so I can stand in the center of the cockpit when stepping the mast.
Also looks really clean!
Serge
hmeyrick
Location: CD 30, Hull 156, "Old alt". Previously "Old Salt", but the "S" fell o

Post by hmeyrick »

John-

On my setup, the feet sit on the lazarette lids and press up against the seatbacks. But it doesn't really matter- you just want the feet to butt up against something that prevents them from sliding further apart, as that would affect the height of the structure. You could probably even make one with the feet down on the cockpit sole, butting against the sides.

One concern I'd have about using the toerails, though, would be that the feet might interfere with rainwater drainage, although I'm sure a workable solution is possible.

good luck

Huw